The Student Room Group

GCSE

what would happen if you had grade 9s in everything but failed English? Would you still got to college and reset in college?
ahh so we both worrying about our english grade?? i am the most nervous for it as i need a 6 !!
all my other subjects are fine tho arghh
Reply 2
english, maths and science are core. so even if you got grade 9 in everything else, you still need to pass english at least so yeah i'm sure you would have to resit it. you'd still be able to get into college and stuff but certain A-Levels or courses you want to do might require English at a certain grade so yeah you'll just have to see what you need to do.
(edited 1 year ago)
It would depend on the college or sixth form, I think most tend to require between grade 9 and 4 in maths, science and english and other subjects, different colleges and sixth forms will have different grade requirements. However, some will accept you even if you don't pass one of the subjects but you may have to redo exams for that subject.

You might have to ask the college/sixth form
Depends what you want to do later.

Usually though a pass in GCSE English Language is required for a) a lot of jobs (including for school leavers) and b) a lot of universities (most of them have some kind of GCSE English Language requirement I think?).

This is because GCSE English Language is used as a basic literacy measure by the government.

It's likely you would need to (or at least, want to) look at retaking while in college then.
Original post by nhsia
english, maths and science are core. so even if you got grade 9 in everything else, you still need to pass english at least so yeah i'm sure you would have to resit it. you'd still be able to get into college and stuff but certain A-Levels or courses you want to do might require English at a certain grade so yeah you'll just have to see what you need to do.

If the college does have subjects which require a certain grade in English for some subjects they might just tell you that you can't pick that subject. I think it depends on the college itself, colleges have different requirements to one another.

If possible maybe try and ask the head of college what their requirements are like and if they make any exceptions.
Original post by artful_lounger
Depends what you want to do later.

Usually though a pass in GCSE English Language is required for a) a lot of jobs (including for school leavers) and b) a lot of universities (most of them have some kind of GCSE English Language requirement I think?).

This is because GCSE English Language is used as a basic literacy measure by the government.

It's likely you would need to (or at least, want to) look at retaking while in college then.

I don't get how GCSE English Language is a measure of basic literacy in any way, I think it's far from it
Original post by JackOobleco
I don't get how GCSE English Language is a measure of basic literacy in any way, I think it's far from it

Whether you agree with it or not, that is how it's used (with GCSE Maths used as a measure of numeracy) by the government as I understand...
Original post by Arianapple
what would happen if you had grade 9s in everything but failed English? Would you still got to college and reset in college?

Hi there,

It would depend on the college and what their entry requirements are. Some are more lenient and like to get lots of students in (most students = more funding for the college!) but ofc they care about their stats too and might worry about a student who failed English. :flute: It might also depend on whether it's Eng Lit or Lang - Eng Lang is seen as more of like a core, basic subject so that's the one that might be scrutinised! If you were really concerned, you could phone/email your college and ask their policy about it. :hello:

It sounds like you might be struggling with Eng; lmk if you are and I can signpost you to lots of useful Eng resources :h:.

Marimo
UCL Y2 Med Student
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest