The Student Room Group

AI people

If we were to create AI people in the future, do you think they would have feelings in the same way a human does? and why?
Original post by starrynight01
If we were to create AI people in the future, do you think they would have feelings in the same way a human does? and why?

I think there's a possibility as technology keeps advancing with driverless vehicles and similar upgrades it seems as if some of what people used to think would be impossible isn't actually impossible.
Original post by Vanessa Sealy
I think there's a possibility as technology keeps advancing with driverless vehicles and similar upgrades it seems as if some of what people used to think would be impossible isn't actually impossible.

True but would you say the created people would actually feel the emotions or they would just be programmed to express them at certain times?
No, not in the same way. Our emotions are physical expressions too. They affect our mental and physical functions. Ex: if a person is angry enough they can develop increased risk to heart and brain disease(s). Our emotions affect the way we think and interact.

For an AI, these emotions will be an illusion. Perhaps to AI and us. A form of personification, like we do with animals. This may be why some people fear AI or develop that skynet doomsday distrust. Only way to express emotion would be through communication or action. Action could be violence.
Original post by starrynight01
True but would you say the created people would actually feel the emotions or they would just be programmed to express them at certain times?

It might not be like ours exactly I think because human emotions are very complex but I think they might be able to get like a basic version of it. Like being happy when receiving a gift or something or being sad if they get hurt.
How do we know they don’t already?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending