The Student Room Group

Personal Statement by AI

I know this is kinda obvious in hindsight but should I use an AI to write me a personal statement? I've been seeing more people starting to use ChatGPT to write them personal statements by inputting what they've done and its generated some pretty impressive ones which get cycled through QuillBot to paraphrase it and it seemingly doesn't appear on any AI writing detectors. I'm told UCAS has an anti AI tool which makes me unsure but can it really do what several others can't? moral objections aside is it worth it to?
Reply 1
Pointless - it will lack your personal voice and you will have to adjust it so much afterwards to put that back that you might as well have done it yourself.

And - UCAS and Unis are not stupid.
We can all spot the fake PS.
I read up to 200 statements a week at peak periods so am perhaps the most qualified person on TSR to answer this.

The short answer is no.

Even looking past whether UCAS or Unis have (or will have) systems good enough to spot it, an AI assisted statement is by definition never going to be personal. It’s going to be an average/amalgamated version of the data fed into it.

There is nothing worse than reading a statement that has been coached or ghost written. It’s very obvious to the trained eye and quite often those people get in despite having a garbage statement that was an identikit version of something read dozens of times that week.

You are never going to catch a reader’s interest with something formed from thousands of other peoples ideas. It’s just dull.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending