The Student Room Group
Students in halls, University of Lincoln
University of Lincoln
Lincoln
Visit website

System issues

I wanted to join Lincoln uni as an undergraduate. But after asking so many students in different courses they all said, and I quote the university has a great building, but the main issue is that it has a high school system” which put a whole load of pressure on students. As from my understanding of these academic studies, as long as I attend, do required work and PAY my fees I can progress into the next year. But I got told that students get into trouble for coming in late, not watching online videos “homework?”, as none of these issues count towards my final grade! also the classes environment feels like high school and I quote some of the students words we feel like we are back in year 9, from the way some of the lecturers speak to us. This is highly not acceptable for a university with that standards. I mean no harm with this review but I want to state it out.
Hi there! First I would recommend removing the names of the lecturers involved in this post in order to respect their privacy. Second, a lot of these seem to be pretty standard uni things, even if they have been framed in a more juvenile light. When lecturers put a lot of time into their reading lists, online lectures, and student wellbeing (for the most part), they will naturally be frustrated when people don't do the assigned work. If the appropriate student voice action is taken, I see no reason why any potential issues could be ironed out to leave a nice university experience in its path :smile:
Students in halls, University of Lincoln
University of Lincoln
Lincoln
Visit website
Original post by Cheetu2001
I wanted to join Lincoln uni as an undergraduate. But after asking so many students in different courses they all said, and I quote the university has a great building, but the main issue is that it has a high school system” which put a whole load of pressure on students. As from my understanding of these academic studies, as long as I attend, do required work and PAY my fees I can progress into the next year.

You need to do the required work and that work needs to meet the required standard.

But I got told that students get into trouble for coming in late, not watching online videos “homework?”, as none of these issues count towards my final grade!

Work can be required of you, yet not count towards the final grade. This is a common approach at universities.

Arriving late is both disruptive and distracting, both to the lecturer/seminar leader and to the other students. It is not unreasonable for staff to expect you to have done the required preparation before attending lectures/seminars. Both sets of behaviour (arriving late, and arriving unprepared) are therefore disrespectful, both to teaching staff and the other students.

also the classes environment feels like high school and I quote some of the students words we feel like we are back in year 9, from the way some of the lecturers speak to us. This is highly not acceptable for a university with that standards. I mean no harm with this review but I want to state it out.

Turning up late and unprepared -- and expecting not to get criticised for it -- is the sort of thing you should have grown out of by the time you get to university.

How would you feel if your lecturers turned up late and unprepared for your lecture/seminar/workshop etc? Do you think you might get frustrated and express criticism?

Quick Reply

Latest