The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University 2023 Applicant thread

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys I’m Esme,
I’ve just finished my BSc Geography degree at Lancaster University and am going into a masters in Environmental management so would be happy to answer any environmental or geography related questions or questions just about student life in general!
While at Lancaster I have been involved in Cartmel college netball holding the role of social sec in my first year and have attended other societies such as dance and veggie soc on a more casual basis along with working as a student ambassador since second year.
I am more than happy to answer any questions and look forward to welcoming the new Lancaster students in a few weeks :smile:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by Ezbe55
Thanks, that’s really helpful. The travelling tbh wouldn’t be too far if off campus if it came to that, I just like to have all bases covered in advance should decisions have to be made.
On another note, can you name a few universities abroad where physics students have spent a year out? Thanks

Hi @Ezbe55!

The list of approved universities changes year on year and the available places are shared across the different departments across the university. For this reason we can’t guarantee to be able to offer study abroad opportunities at specific universities.

You can contact our Study Abroad Director of Studies at Lancaster Physics through the following email: [email protected] They’ll be able to explain the allocation process and the opportunity in a bit more detail.

You can also read about the study abroad opportunity on our website. It says here that you may be able to spend the year abroad in “Australia, New Zealand, the USA, Canada or Europe”. https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/physics-study-abroad-mphys-hons-f305/

I hope this helps!

- Tineke
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Reply 22
Application sent off today for physics
Original post by Bluebells60

Hi @Bluebells60,

Congratulations!
I'm glad you liked the Physics course at Lancaster enough to apply!
If you have any questions please let our ambassadors know :smile:

Best wishes,
Eloise (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)

Yay nice one. My eldest studies physics, particle physics and cosmology at Lancaster and is in 3rd year. Best move she made choosing this uni. The staff are amazing and the opportunities are amazing. Shes done 2 internships, and next weeks shes off to a careers fair in York for physics and its all paid for :smile: Shirley the undergraduate co-ordinator for the physics dept is really supportive too :smile: Wishing you all the luck :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)

Hi @Bluebells60!

Congrats on getting your application sent off. I’ve just completed the integrated mphys physics course so let me know if I can help answer any questions you have :smile:

- Tineke
Reply 26
Just applied for film studies!
Reply 27
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @Bluebells60!

Congrats on getting your application sent off. I’ve just completed the integrated mphys physics course so let me know if I can help answer any questions you have :smile:

- Tineke

How’s the timetabling in the first year? How many hours/days a week are you in?

Daughters was covid year so it was online most of the year, but her timetable had something every day. She would have lectures most days, Labs on one day a week (usually the monday) and seminars and workshops dotted about the week. Thursday afternoon and Friday was a more 'lighter day' (shes 3rd year and Wednesdays are her lighter day now). In first year she would get problem sheets to work on, and her and her physics friends would group together and work on them Sunday afternoon- evening.
Original post by SDC843

That is amazing! LICA is such an amazing department (where you will be based), I'm sure you will love it there.

- Laura (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Got portal details but when logged in doesn’t have anything for ‘future students’ to click on as it says in email arghh
Reply 31
Does lancaster often interview for science courses - specifically biochemistry?
Original post by skrt04

I know they do for physics as eldest had one, not sure on biochem. Youngest applying to zoology there next month, so she might have to have one too.
Reply 33
Original post by Ghostlady
I know they do for physics as eldest had one, not sure on biochem. Youngest applying to zoology there next month, so she might have to have one too.

Thank you!! I’m applying for biochem, almost ready to submit my application but as i live quite far knowing about potential of interviews is definitely useful
Original post by skrt04

Hey @skrt04

I currently study biochemistry and did not have an interview!
If you have any other questions about biochemistry at Lancaster please let me know!

Rebecca :smile:
Original post by SDC843

Hi @SDC843!

Best of luck with your application! Let us know if you have any questions about student life at Lancaster!

- Tineke

Hi @Bluebells60!

In first year you’ll do 3 modules at once. I.e. in my first week I was taught PHYS101 (mechanics and special relativity), differentiation and vectors. This equates to about 8-12 hours of lectures, 3 hours lab work and 3 hours workshops per week.
Physics is a contact hour heavy subject so you’ll likely be on campus everyday.

Hope that helps!

- Tineke
Original post by Ghostlady
Yay nice one. My eldest studies physics, particle physics and cosmology at Lancaster and is in 3rd year. Best move she made choosing this uni. The staff are amazing and the opportunities are amazing. Shes done 2 internships, and next weeks shes off to a careers fair in York for physics and its all paid for :smile: Shirley the undergraduate co-ordinator for the physics dept is really supportive too :smile: Wishing you all the luck :smile:

That's great to hear! I just received an invite to interview for physics with astrophysics and am quite nervous!!
Original post by yellowdrummer123
That's great to hear! I just received an invite to interview for physics with astrophysics and am quite nervous!!

Been invited to interview for physics too. What date are you going?
Original post by Anonymous
Been invited to interview for physics too. What date are you going?

Well done! Probably the 23rd of nov, you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending