The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University 2023 Applicant thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Im wanting to get a part-time job when i start but how do you manage it with coming back home in the summer and work experience/vacation schemes or exams? Will they understand because Lancaster has lots of Uni students?

Hi at the moment, aldi are currently hiring and they sometimes have a scheme where when you go home you can work in the aldi near to you, but I imagine it cant be in all cases, especially if your local aldi is not needing someone during the summer.

The eldest, she works at primark. But shes done it as a summer job and living at lancaster summer accommodation which is available at the end of summer term, right up until 1 week before freshers week. Where shes comes from is just a little village, and as much as she loves us, there really is nothing to do round here without having to catch two buses lol. Keep an eye out as the students who do alevels /leaving uni will be leaving openings at primark, so check indeed regularly.
Summer accommodation is available at Bowland Main standard, or Ensuite Furness. Shes in bowland main and plans to stay there 1 week before freshers, then have her mate store a few bits (other bits are in storage and its full lol), and come home for a week to see us (shes booking time off work) then 30th shes moving into chancellors wharf with our help. The flat in bowland caters for 8, but theres currently 3 in there at the moment.

Shoe zone is also currently hiring, but not sure on the hours, I saw it on the window on Friday when i was visiting daughter for the weekend.

If you do get a part time job, and want to spend time in the summer at home, you could stay on summer acommodation at uni (or private halls in the city they do them too) and still work your regular hours, but on the days you dont work visit your family for 3-4 days (maybe take the odd day as a holiday) and go and see them a couple of times, maybe 3/4 days in July and same again in August. That way you get to keep working throughout, and still see your family.
(edited 8 months ago)
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
is it worth buying a bus pass or something like that for uni, or just pay using contactless when you use the bus? And what do we do about doctors do we need to register with one in the town or is there one on the campus we can use? Just because i have repeat prescriptions I would need to get and im not sure what I should do
is it worth buying a bus pass or something like that for uni, or just pay using contactless when you use the bus? And what do we do about doctors do we need to register with one in the town or is there one on the campus we can use? Just because i have repeat prescriptions I would need to get and im not sure what I should do

Hi!

When I lived on campus in my first year I just paid contactless on the bus as I didn't use the bus often enough to justify the bus pass. If you are under 19 you can get the under-19 day rider which is much cheaper than a normal return. I would see how often you find yourself using the bus into town and see if a bus pass is worth it. You can buy the bus pass for the whole year or a term individually so you could always get one later on! If you live off campus the bus pass is definitely worth it!

All students can register with Lancaster Medical Practice and get appointments at any of the 7 GP surgeries in town. More information on this can be found here: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/about-us/our-campus/health-services/. There is a link in the doctor's surgery section that takes you to the form to register.

Hope this helps!
Florence (Lancaster University student ambassador)
Hi I’m Ella, an MSci grad from Lancaster Uni. Really great 4 years, any questions feel free to ask!
:smile:
Im wanting to get a part-time job when i start but how do you manage it with coming back home in the summer and work experience/vacation schemes or exams? Will they understand because Lancaster has lots of Uni students?

Hi there,

I am going into my fourth year of an integrated masters for maths & statistics. I have worked multiple jobs throughout my degree and have found some jobs can be understanding of holidays while others aren't. There are some which will allow you to have extended absence as they are less busy when students go home. In addition, some may ask you to in two days in a row each week where commuting may be an option for some.

Overall, the most flexible have been those with Lancaster university. I would recommend looking at the university's part time jobs once you receive your timetable as they tend to be rather flexible around university commitments (such as reduced hours over exams) and tend to pay national living wage (£10.42) regardless of your age. Please feel free to ask me any questions.

https://temps.lancaster-university.co.uk/vacancies/vacancy-search-results.aspx

- Amy (Lancaster Student Ambassador) :smile:
i can’t find any group chats, i don’t use facebook and i’ve been trying to get onto the whatsapp group chat but they’re not accepting me**what should i do
Hi @d1xcha

I found Frehers chats through Facebook. I wouldn’t take the rejection from the WhatsApp group personally, it may just be that the chat is full. Where did you find the link to the WhatsApp group? It is only a few weeks until welcome week at Lancaster so even if you don’t manage to get onto a chat before arriving I’m sure you’ll meet lots of people very soon!

Best of luck

Tineke
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Reply 387
Hey can I send me the link to the WhatsApp group I’m also applying to Lancaster
Hi,

Sorry to hear that. If you have discord, have you tried using that to join chats? A lot of university societies and subjects have discord groups.
Don't worry too much about struggling to join group chats before uni starts, I personally didn't join any until freshers week and you don't miss out on anything. A lot of other people I know didn't either so a lot of people will be in the same boat as you. Everyone is pretty willing to talk to new people at the start of the year, especially during freshers and there will be many opportunities to meet people in your college/on your course during welcome week.

Hope this helps,
Becky (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Hi guys I was wondering if there were any WhatsApp groups made for this year’s applicants. I just got in through clearing so I’m unaware of any groups ?
Original post by Ezbe55
Thanks, that’s really helpful. The travelling tbh wouldn’t be too far if off campus if it came to that, I just like to have all bases covered in advance should decisions have to be made.
On another note, can you name a few universities abroad where physics students have spent a year out? Thanks

Hi,
In the past Physics students at Lancaster have studied their 3rd year either in Australia, New Zealand, USA, Canada or Europe. It is also worth bearing in mind that the list of countries that are on offer to study abroad do change each year.
Hope this helps!
- Jasmine (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Has anyone heard about their bursaries yet? Said we’d get an email mid October about when and how it’s paid
Reply 392
Original post by Niamh_G
Hiya!
Are there any current natural sciences students on this thread? I've already managed to receive an offer from Lancaster (the personalised letter they send you is really sweet aha) and when I went to the open day I really liked the look of the course, I'm just wondering if there are any current students who could tell me a bit about how they're finding it?
If it helps, I'm currently studying biology, chemistry, physics and maths and although I'm not entirely sure what I want to do in the future, I've found that I really enjoy looking at immunology!

Hii, I'm not a current student but I've also recieved an offer from Lancaster for Natsci! I'd love to know how people are finding the course because I didn't really get a chance to talk to students on the open day :smile:
Original post by imi.lily
Hii, I'm not a current student but I've also recieved an offer from Lancaster for Natsci! I'd love to know how people are finding the course because I didn't really get a chance to talk to students on the open day :smile:

Hi @imi.lily ,

Hope you're well. Sorry you weren't able to speak to any of our current students on Open Day. If you follow the link below, it will take you to our unibuddy page where you can chat to a current study studying Natural Science.
https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/chat/
Hope this helps.

Faheema (Psychology Student Ambassador)

Hi,

I'm a third year natural sciences student so I can tell you a bit about how I've found the course so far! I study pathways in physics and environmental science. I've really enjoyed my time so far, and I've found that studying in two departments has helped me both to develop interdisciplinary skills and thinking and to meet a wide range of people. Studying two or three subjects often means you approach problems in a different way to single-honours students and this can be invaluable in group work and projects.

In terms of the natural sciences community, everyone I've met has been really friendly and enthusiastic about sharing experiences of studying different sciences. There is now a study/meeting space for natural sciences in the science and technology building where you can also find the offices for staff in the department if you need any support/advice. The natural sciences society is a good way to meet other students on the degree scheme. They run events such as pizza nights and bowling. A lot of the friends I made in physics also study natural sciences so it was good to have that sense of community.

There are challenges that come with being a natural sciences student, occasionally you may experience times where your workload is very intense as different departments may set coursework that is all due in at the same time, for instance. You might also have some lecture-lecture or lecture-practical timetable clashes, although I've personally found these to be really rare. You'll never have a practical-practical clash and you can catch up on lectures missed using Panopto (a lecture recording system).

You can also check out the 2024 offer holder thread if you have more questions about life at Lancaster.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7416667

Hope this helps and feel free to ask if you have any more questions,
Becky (Lancaster University student ambassador)
Reply 395
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi,

I'm a third year natural sciences student so I can tell you a bit about how I've found the course so far! I study pathways in physics and environmental science. I've really enjoyed my time so far, and I've found that studying in two departments has helped me both to develop interdisciplinary skills and thinking and to meet a wide range of people. Studying two or three subjects often means you approach problems in a different way to single-honours students and this can be invaluable in group work and projects.

In terms of the natural sciences community, everyone I've met has been really friendly and enthusiastic about sharing experiences of studying different sciences. There is now a study/meeting space for natural sciences in the science and technology building where you can also find the offices for staff in the department if you need any support/advice. The natural sciences society is a good way to meet other students on the degree scheme. They run events such as pizza nights and bowling. A lot of the friends I made in physics also study natural sciences so it was good to have that sense of community.

There are challenges that come with being a natural sciences student, occasionally you may experience times where your workload is very intense as different departments may set coursework that is all due in at the same time, for instance. You might also have some lecture-lecture or lecture-practical timetable clashes, although I've personally found these to be really rare. You'll never have a practical-practical clash and you can catch up on lectures missed using Panopto (a lecture recording system).

You can also check out the 2024 offer holder thread if you have more questions about life at Lancaster.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7416667

Hope this helps and feel free to ask if you have any more questions,

Thankyou so much this is so helpful!! Would you recommend getting an ipad or a laptop for the course?? I'm really conflicted and need to start budgeting for it ASAP
Thankyou so much this is so helpful!! Would you recommend getting an ipad or a laptop for the course?? I'm really conflicted and need to start budgeting for it ASAP

Hi,

Personally I use a laptop and prefer to write out my physics worksheets by hand and then scan them in to upload them. However a lot of people use ipads and they seem to be really useful, especially in physics with all the equations and symbols in worksheet problems and lecture notes. I think I've noticed more people with ipads each year so they are definitely becoming a popular choice.

A lot of people also use drawing tablets that can be attached to laptops. This can be a good choice as you can still make notes/annotate PowerPoint slides easily but you retain all the versatility of a laptop for longer writing tasks and research. In the end whichever option you prefer is personal to you and should work fine.

It's also worth noting that there are plenty of computers available on campus, either in the library or one of the PC labs.

Hope this helps,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending