The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University 2023 Applicant thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
What’s it like on the interview day? Been invited to one but not sure what to expect?

Hi Anon!

The interview day is made up of a few components. You'll have a 1-2-1 interview with one of our lecturers. They'll usually ask a few questions to get to know you and will then ask you to work through a few physics problems. There is usually also a taster talk, a demonstration, and tours around the department. In the breaks and over lunch there are usually plenty of student ambassadors and lecturers around to talk to and to ask any questions that you may have.

Hope that helps and best of luck for your interview!

- Tineke
Lancaster Student Ambassador, Physics PhD Student
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Got portal details but when logged in doesn’t have anything for ‘future students’ to click on as it says in email arghh

Hi Anon,

What portal are you referring to?

- Tineke
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Original post by Dragon264
I’ve just received an invitation to the Lancaster interview day. Unfortunately I can’t make it there in person so I have to do a digital version. However, many of the activities seen impossible if you’re not actually there. So I wanted to find out what the online interview day will consist of, and any extra advice would be much appreciated.

Hi @Dragon264!

What subject have you applied for and what is the title of the online event?

- Tineke
Original post by archivisnt
i'm also booked for the 16th for physics!

Hi @archivisnt!

Best of luck for your interview day! Let me know if you have any questions at all about physics at Lancaster!

- Tineke
Lancaster Student Ambassador, Physics PhD Student
Original post by HJTay
I just got an offer from Lancaster today!!! I'm very excited.

Congrats @HJTay!

Feel free to reply here if you have any questions about student life at Lancaster!

- Tineke
During the physics interview part us parents and carers had a talk and presentation on the history of the uni, it was quite interesting seeing how the colleges all came about :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 66
What subject

Biomedicine Msci
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @Dragon264!

What subject have you applied for and what is the title of the online event?

- Tineke

Physics and it is their interview day.
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi everyone!
Just thought I would introduce myself as well. I'm Eloise and am about to start my third year at Lancaster studying Psychology. I was very nervous about the idea of going to university but have ended up having an amazing time!
Myself and the other ambassadors would love to answer any questions you have about university applications and life at Lancaster. :smile:

Hi, I applied for psychology at Lancaster a week ago and was wondering what the process is like. It is just an offer or are their interviews. As well as this how have you found the course and the amount of contact time. Is there anything that makes Lancaster stand out. Thanks!
Got portal details but when logged in doesn’t have anything for ‘future students’ to click on as it says in email arghh

Hi Anon,

If you're still struggling with this could you please contact [email protected] and they'll be able to advise you on this.

- Tineke
Original post by pandalovesyouu
Hi I’m thinking of applying to Lancaster for software engineering, can someone confirm if they hold interviews or entry tests so I can be prepared and it doesn’t come as a surprise 😭 I emailed but got no response

Hi @pandalovesyouu!

Applications to software engineering undergraduate courses at Lancaster do not involve interviews or entry tests.

Hope that helps!

- Tineke
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Sjh_2004
Hi, I applied for psychology at Lancaster a week ago and was wondering what the process is like. It is just an offer or are their interviews. As well as this how have you found the course and the amount of contact time. Is there anything that makes Lancaster stand out. Thanks!

Hi @Sjh_2004!

Psychology undergraduate courses do not require interviews.

Lancaster stood out to me due to the college system and campus. The college system breaks up the uni into smaller communities which makes it much more manageable to meet new people. The campus is very nice and green. It feels very safe and means that all your classes are a manageable distance away from each other. I think the people is the best part about Lancaster, all of the lecturers are very approachable and there's plenty of opportunities to meet people with similar interests at the more than 175 societies on campus.

- Tineke
Lancaster student ambassador
Original post by Sjh_2004

Hi @Sjh_2004,

Thanks for your questions! I didn't have to go for an interview for my course. I was just given an offer to accept/decline through UCAS.
I've really enjoyed the course so far! Over the first two years you are taught compulsory modules in Developmental, Cogntive, Neuroscience, and Social Psychology as well as skills in Stats and Research Methods. In third year you complete your own piece of research as well as taking optional modules (for example this term im studying clinical psych and hallucinations/delusions as my two modules).
Contact time has changed for me over the three years (around 9hrs a week in first year, 10 in second year and 8 in third year). I've found that while there has been lots to do the department are good at making sure all your assesments aren't due at the same time!
I would say something that makes Psychology at Lancaster stand out is that it is very research led- all the lecturers do their own research and are excited to tell you about new studies in their specific areas. Another good thing about psychology at Lancaster is its PEP scheme, where the department can help you find voluntary work experience to help with jobs in the future :smile:

Hopefully that helps! Good luck with your uni applications.
Eloise (Lancaster University 3rd Year Psychology)
(edited 1 year ago)
Got an offer for Law last week so pleased :smile:
Has anyone received the joining instructions/more info regarding next weeks interview for physics at Lancaster
I'm sending over my application for Biomedical Science on Friday :smile:
got an offer for psych BA! :h:
Has anyone received instructions for physics interview next week yet?
Got an offer for Law last week so pleased :smile:

Congratulations!

- Laura (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Original post by majesticlamp
got an offer for psych BA! :h:

Well done!

- Laura (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending