The Student Room Group

I'm fat and not sure what to do about it

Hey guys, I'm fat and I'm not sure what to do. I think my BMI's 26.5. I'm just insecure about my weight really, my dad keeps on telling me to go the gym and workout although I don't really. My diet's ok but it's not too good either. I know the dangers of being overweight but I can't find myself doing anything. Honestly, I would rather die now on the spot than be ill for the rest of my life or be miserable not being able to eat what I want. The thought of changing my diet and/or working out scares me.

I'm 18 years old and am male.

If anyone has any tips for me I would appreciate it.
Hi,
I just want to start by saying I know how difficult this is, my BMI is over 30 which is extremely dangerous but I still wasn't quite motivated to change. Before altering your diet or going to the gym, you really have to get into the right mindset of wanting to lose weight. Think of reasons why you would aspire to lose weight such as for aesthetics or being conscious about your health. Eating healthy and being active will only pay off if you have become familiar with why you're doing what you are doing and make sure you have an end goal to give you that extra motivation. Also, remember that it is your journey and that to not let others' opinions undermine your efforts. Having a positive attitude towards this will ensure that exercise and healthy eating becomes a habit.

In terms of technical advice, here is what helped me lose weight. Do not go on any strict diets such as a keto diet or going vegan, such large changes in your diet will only confuse you, and once you fall out of habit with eating healthily, it will lead you to binge on foods you missed out on while dieting. Instead, eat whatever you like. This may sound misleading but in order to make this work, you must eat everything within the limits. We need carbs, sugars, and fats but we need smaller amounts of these food groups than protein and fruits/veg. Maybe limit yourself to one treat a day and just replace a few carbs in your diet with any fruits or vegetables you like. (If you choose fruits to have on the side with your meal, I would recommend berries.) And lastly, for exercise, you need to build more muscle in order to be able to burn calories quicker. Include strength training such as deadlifting, or any machine that builds muscle. This builds your metabolism which allows you to eat more and burn it off more easily. This is why it's important that you have balanced meals and stay hydrated to meet your end goal.

I wish you all the best and don't hesitate to ask any more questions :smile:
Original post by grtysdf5
Hi,
I just want to start by saying I know how difficult this is, my BMI is over 30 which is extremely dangerous but I still wasn't quite motivated to change. Before altering your diet or going to the gym, you really have to get into the right mindset of wanting to lose weight. Think of reasons why you would aspire to lose weight such as for aesthetics or being conscious about your health. Eating healthy and being active will only pay off if you have become familiar with why you're doing what you are doing and make sure you have an end goal to give you that extra motivation. Also, remember that it is your journey and that to not let others' opinions undermine your efforts. Having a positive attitude towards this will ensure that exercise and healthy eating becomes a habit.

In terms of technical advice, here is what helped me lose weight. Do not go on any strict diets such as a keto diet or going vegan, such large changes in your diet will only confuse you, and once you fall out of habit with eating healthily, it will lead you to binge on foods you missed out on while dieting. Instead, eat whatever you like. This may sound misleading but in order to make this work, you must eat everything within the limits. We need carbs, sugars, and fats but we need smaller amounts of these food groups than protein and fruits/veg. Maybe limit yourself to one treat a day and just replace a few carbs in your diet with any fruits or vegetables you like. (If you choose fruits to have on the side with your meal, I would recommend berries.) And lastly, for exercise, you need to build more muscle in order to be able to burn calories quicker. Include strength training such as deadlifting, or any machine that builds muscle. This builds your metabolism which allows you to eat more and burn it off more easily. This is why it's important that you have balanced meals and stay hydrated to meet your end goal.

I wish you all the best and don't hesitate to ask any more questions :smile:

Hi there! :smile:
Thanks for the message it's helpful and I appreciate you reaching out. Honestly it feels so nice to have someone like you understanding what I am facing. It's frustrating because I weigh about 68kg and I should be about 60-65kg, so I'm very close to my healthy weight but not quite. Sometimes I think I am too paranoid maybe I should just worry less and just do whatever exercise? Is it better to be paranoid and anxious but lose weight or just not care at all?
What exercise do you currently do?
Original post by Angry cucumber
What exercise do you currently do?

Nothing
Original post by SpanishGonkey
Nothing

You're only slightly overweight, my advice is to either take up a sport, or activity that gets you moving, could be anything from running to football to tennis to lifting weights and enjoying it, which means you'll do it more.

also walk more, if you can afford a cheap fit bit or similar (I got mine for £40), Start by aiming for 6k steps and when you find that ok, then go for 10k steps everyday. It's a surprisingly large amount but Burns lots of calories and is very good for you mental health
Reply 6
I hate going to the gym, I don't think it's the way to go. Instead try gentle exercise; if somewhere is less than an hour's walk away, you could cycle/walk there instead of taking the car? Also listen to your body, it probably knows what you need. If you feel hungry, eat and when you start to feel full, don't push yourself and eat more, stop.
Hey guys, I'm fat and I'm not sure what to do. I think my BMI's 26.5. I'm just insecure about my weight really, my dad keeps on telling me to go the gym and workout although I don't really. My diet's ok but it's not too good either. I know the dangers of being overweight but I can't find myself doing anything. Honestly, I would rather die now on the spot than be ill for the rest of my life or be miserable not being able to eat what I want. The thought of changing my diet and/or working out scares me.

Your bmi s only slightly overweight, a slight change in lifestyle either more activity or slight diet change would probably easily allow you to get to a BMI of between 20-25 the generally recommended healthy zone.

Running is an easy thing to pick up. Only requires 30 minutes, three times a week. You can do it in a park or on the streets. Couch to 5K by the NHS is a really good app to get started with, and because you’re only slightly overweight, you won’t have to worry so much about your diet. Just keep a bit active.
get an airfryer changed my life mate

Quick Reply

Latest