The Student Room Group

What are your top tips for eating your five portions or fruit and veg a day?

In the UK, many of us struggle to eat the target amount of five portions of fruit and vegetables each day.

What are your top tips for eating your five portions of fruit and veg a day?

Personally, I try to ensure that I eat at least one portion with breakfast (usually either sultanas, an apple or a banana), one or two with lunch, one or two with tea/dinner and then one as a snack if I need an extra one. I don't always manage five though!
Blending fruits into smoothies or dumping veggies and blitzing them into a kinda pasta sauce or something. Just taste testing different fruits and veggies to see what u like. Also a five a day chart would be cool for those who like reward systems.
I must admit I prefer veggies to fruit. If I ever put the oven on to cook meat or fish then I'll always put in an extra oven tray with a roughly chopped assortment of carrots/parsnips/halved onions/big pieces of pepper/tomatoes/sweet potatoes etc drizzled with olive oil. Always cook extra to put in fridge & either eat cold or heat in microwave the next day. I also like fried veg - in the evening anything in the fridge can get chopped up & fried in oil (& sometimes soy sauce). On cold days I boil a big pan of various veggies (add paprika or chilli powder) & blitz it with a blender to make fresh soup. I've had some interesting combinations...but it is great to have mugs of soup handy in the fridge for the next few days.

Also, I do chop up carrot sticks to eat on long journeys. (Useful when the wine gums run out. :colondollar:)
Original post by ...12345
Also a five a day chart would be cool for those who like reward systems.

That is actually a tempting idea! :colondollar:

Original post by SpiderCrab
I must admit I prefer veggies to fruit. If I ever put the oven on to cook meat or fish then I'll always put in an extra oven tray with a roughly chopped assortment of carrots/parsnips/halved onions/big pieces of pepper/tomatoes/sweet potatoes etc drizzled with olive oil. Always cook extra to put in fridge & either eat cold or heat in microwave the next day. I also like fried veg - in the evening anything in the fridge can get chopped up & fried in oil (& sometimes soy sauce). On cold days I boil a big pan of various veggies (add paprika or chilli powder) & blitz it with a blender to make fresh soup. I've had some interesting combinations...but it is great to have mugs of soup handy in the fridge for the next few days.

Also, I do chop up carrot sticks to eat on long journeys. (Useful when the wine gums run out. :colondollar:)

Some good ideas there - especially in relation to cooking extra veg when you have the oven on.
buy frozen veg and berries. it's cheaper! stays fresh for longer too.

snack on veggies and fruit! loads of fun things you can do with this

add fruit and veg into your existing meals, perhaps as a side or used to sweeten a meal (fruit is great to sweeten porridge for example!)

Quick Reply

Latest