The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Read the interview chat thread....someone on there just got a rejection from Trinity.
Reply 2
Jaysus
Has anyone here, or does anyone here know of anyone who didn't even get an interview at Cambridge?

Yep, one of the four at my college who applied to Oxbridge was rejected without interview. Lucy Cavendish sent a rather nasty letter saying that they didn't think she was academically suitable :s-smilie:
I know someone that got rejected without an interviw but got into Imperial anyway.
Reply 4
Craghyrax
Yep, one of the four at my college who applied to Oxbridge was rejected without interview. Lucy Cavendish sent a rather nasty letter saying that they didn't think she was academically suitable :s-smilie:

REALLY?1 that's SO harsh! What were her grades? I'm presuming she was academically suitable if she applied Oxbridge.. :s
Reply 5
yeah i have 2 friends who didnt get an interview; one got into imperial anyway, the other one has an offer from bristol. The latter one got a really harsh letter containing something along the lines of "you have no chance at cambridge"
Reply 6
SiaSiaSia
REALLY?1 that's SO harsh! What were her grades? I'm presuming she was academically suitable if she applied Oxbridge.. :s

this was only the case when the CAF was written in a caesar cipher.
Reply 7
i think it's less than 1/10
someone with really bad academic record just got his interview
= D
Reply 8
With applications way up this year, is it still realistic to assume that nine out of ten people get interviews?
I will be very annoyed if I don't get an interview after having to write a massive essay for them.
Azer
With applications way up this year, is it still realistic to assume that nine out of ten people get interviews?

I hope so, considering how big that stupid, unnecessary SAQ was that they made all applicants fill in.

"What topics did you cover in this module?..." - Look it up yourself!!!
:lolwut: I don't think the SAQ is unecessary at all - I think it really helps them to get as wide a picture of the person as possible and not to make judgements based on only one or two factors. If you're that put out by writing an essay or filling out a few extra forms, how much do you actually want to go to Cambridge?
SiaSiaSia

I can't remember. She's at St Andrews now. I think her grades were good, but she was a bit clueless and blonde, so that might have come through in her statement. (as in she was shockingly good at maths, chemistry etc, but would give a totally different impression if you spoke to her)Btw 'wonderful' in your custom title is missing an 'r'
tomthecool

So you think the admissions people should go through every single application and look through the syllabus for every module in every subject for every applicant? How much time do you think they have?!
tomthecool

Well, it does actually depend. A friend from my school is on the same course (English Literature) but in a different class, and I studied All My Sons and Chaucer for Text in Context, and she did Tis Pity She's a Whore and World's Wife. So it does depend actually.
tomthecool

:rofl:
Reply 15
Is it bad I kind of hope I get outrightly rejected? :p:
Reply 16
I've applied even though I said for ages I wouldn't because I didn't really like the feel of Cambridge at the summer school and I'm quite excited about the whole thing now :/

Having said this I had a dream last night that I got rejected, the admissions tutor (in my dream obviously) said that if they had one more place on the course he'd ahve let me in. So, based on my dream I think I'm going to narrowly miss out :tongue:
curtis

Having said this I had a dream last night that I got rejected, the admissions tutor (in my dream obviously) said that if they had one more place on the course he'd ahve let me in. So, based on my dream I think I'm going to narrowly miss out :tongue:

Except that would mean you'd be pooled...
Reply 18
Hmm I guess, my dreams don't usually make much sense though. I don't think I'd enjoy being pooled though, I sort of feel like I want to get into the college I apply for or not get in at all. Not to be ungrateful or anything I'd just feel a bit like the last person to be picked at football or something you know.
curtis
Hmm I guess, my dreams don't usually make much sense though. I don't think I'd enjoy being pooled though, I sort of feel like I want to get into the college I apply for or not get in at all. Not to be ungrateful or anything I'd just feel a bit like the last person to be picked at football or something you know.

Yeh but if you were pooled to a college that was as nice or nicer than the one you applied to, that would be quite a bonus. If you still wouldn't want it then, then there are several other people in the world who clearly want a place here more than you do :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending