The Student Room Group

RAF Phase 1 Questions

Hello, I have recently started Phase 2 of my RAF training and as I struggled to find much info on what Phase 1 was like during my application process, I will happily answer any questions anyone has about Phase 1 on this post. So feel free to ask away!
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
Original post by moose701
Hello, I have recently started Phase 2 of my RAF training and as I struggled to find much info on what Phase 1 was like during my application process, I will happily answer any questions anyone has about Phase 1 on this post. So feel free to ask away!

Hi
congrats on completing phase 1, is it true you can go home at weekends in phase 1? I’m just waiting for my medical decision to come through. What have you gone in as?
TIA
Reply 2
Original post by Socco14
Hi
congrats on completing phase 1, is it true you can go home at weekends in phase 1? I’m just waiting for my medical decision to come through. What have you gone in as?
TIA

Hi mate,

During my time at Halton we had a 2 week break halfway through due to the Jubilee, however the only other time we were allowed off base was from 0900-1500 on the occasional Saturday. So for most of us there wasn’t any point going home unless we lived close. I’m doing my training as an Avionics Technician so I’m here for 16 months. Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions :smile:
Reply 3
Hi mate,

During my time at Halton we had a 2 week break halfway through due to the Jubilee, however the only other time we were allowed off base was from 0900-1500 on the occasional Saturday. So for most of us there wasn’t any point going home unless we lived close. I’m doing my training as an Avionics Technician so I’m here for 16 months. Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions :smile:

Hi
thanks for the reply, maybe because you had the 2 week break you didn’t get weekends, I’m just going off what the AFCO told me. What’s it like at Cosford? I will be there for 9 months providing I make it that far. Going in as CCS.
Reply 4
Original post by Socco14
Hi
thanks for the reply, maybe because you had the 2 week break you didn’t get weekends, I’m just going off what the AFCO told me. What’s it like at Cosford? I will be there for 9 months providing I make it that far. Going in as CCS.

Yeah I’d imagine that everything was a bit different due to the 2 week break. Cosford is a lot better than Halton so far, a lot more relaxed and more interesting. Hope everything goes well for you!
Original post by Socco14
Hi

I start basic in 10 days or so, they've changed basic training around a bit so you only get 2 local leaves (the 9-1500 mentioned earlier), and you don't get any home leaves at all anymore,
the only way I could see you getting a home leave is if you strike lucky and your training passes through Christmas, and just like any Raf personnel you get 2 weeks off for then, other than that you can't return. Don't see why you'd want to go home anyways, return train tickets are an absolute fortune nowadays :/
Reply 6
Ah no worries, I hope your phase 1 isn’t too bad mate, I’m still open for any questions if you need
Reply 7
Hi, can we ask how you are getting on at Cosford please, my son is doing basic training at the moment and will be having a two wk break soon, he has been told that Cosford is much the same as basic training and not to expect it to be the same as he was told in recruitment, so wanted an honest opinion from somebody who is there. He is doing really well but struggling a bit mentally at the same time. Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest