UCAT 2730, SJT-1
aLL 9s in GCSE,
Predicted A* in A levels
EPQ A*

Not sure which unis are safer please
Thanks for your help

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello. I think you need to give a little more context to get tips that are better suited to your needs. There are many factors to consider when choosing a uni. Living costs of the area. The social environment like what kind of city you would like to spend your study years in. Student benefits specific to each university. The progression paths for students from the university. Student satisfaction score and reviews from past students. The list goes on. While considering those, you can also spread out the range of schools you apply to based on their entry requirements from high-level to safety-level. It's always good to have at least one safety school and one mid-level school; then, the others can be at any level you desire. That way, you're guaranteed admission no matter what happens. If possible, try to attend virtual or physical open days of the universities you put on your list before making a final decision.

Good luck with your applications.
Reply 2
Original post by DarylO
Hello. I think you need to give a little more context to get tips that are better suited to your needs. There are many factors to consider when choosing a uni. Living costs of the area. The social environment like what kind of city you would like to spend your study years in. Student benefits specific to each university. The progression paths for students from the university. Student satisfaction score and reviews from past students. The list goes on. While considering those, you can also spread out the range of schools you apply to based on their entry requirements from high-level to safety-level. It's always good to have at least one safety school and one mid-level school; then, the others can be at any level you desire. That way, you're guaranteed admission no matter what happens. If possible, try to attend virtual or physical open days of the universities you put on your list before making a final decision.

Good luck with your applications.

For medicine, unfortunately none of these things apply. Applicants need to apply strategically to med schools that suit their stats, and even then, there is an interview to get through. Most applicants do not get a place anywhere, and nobody is guaranteed admission
Reply 3
Original post by GANFYD
For medicine, unfortunately none of these things apply. Applicants need to apply strategically to med schools that suit their stats, and even then, there is an interview to get through. Most applicants do not get a place anywhere, and nobody is guaranteed admission

True but it's still best to try than not at all. Also, if OP is going to apply to any random five and they can put in the ones in the cities they like, that'll be nice. If it's all like a game of luck, might as well throw a few dice where they would love to be.
Reply 4
Original post by DarylO
True but it's still best to try than not at all. Also, if OP is going to apply to any random five and they can put in the ones in the cities they like, that'll be nice. If it's all like a game of luck, might as well throw a few dice where they would love to be.

Entirely the opposite of a game of luck, it is about applying to your strengths, and until you have narrowed down those that may interview you, it is best not to have thoughts about any of them. Excellent applicants get no places every year because they apply to places they would love to study at. With medicine, if the place is more important, it would usually make sense to apply for a different course
Reply 5
Original post by GANFYD
Entirely the opposite of a game of luck, it is about applying to your strengths, and until you have narrowed down those that may interview you, it is best not to have thoughts about any of them. Excellent applicants get no places every year because they apply to places they would love to study at. With medicine, if the place is more important, it would usually make sense to apply for a different course

Okay. You can tell that to the OP then.
Reply 6
Original post by Doomil
Hi everyone
Was wondering if GANFYD could help with this please
UCAT 2730, SJT-1
aLL 9s in GCSE,
Predicted A* in A levels
EPQ A*

Not sure which unis are safer please
Thanks for your help

Look at ARU, UEA, Aston, Liverpool, Edge Hill, QUB, Plymouth, HYMS - you should interview at all those
You may well interview at SGUL (cut off 2710 last year) and Leicester (your score 59, cut off 58.5 last year), but they are slightly more risky.
Aberdeen is an option.
If you give your UCAT breakdown, I can look at Nottingham and Lincoln, but Lincoln looks pretty safe, whatever.
If you have any WP flags, then Birmingham may be a possibility
Original post by DarylO

If the OP wants to be a doctor then hopefully they can read... 😆
Reply 8
Original post by DarylO

I suspect OP knows that, which is why they are here asking for advice :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by GANFYD
I suspect OP knows that, which is why they are here asking for advice :smile:

I don't know what the OP doesn't know or what the OP knows. And clearly, I don't know much about medical schools which is why I didn't want to derail further from the discussion, and take the spotlight away from OP. That's why I said you can let them know everything.
Original post by DarylO
I don't know what the OP doesn't know or what the OP knows. And clearly, I don't know much about medical schools which is why I didn't want to derail further from the discussion, and take the spotlight away from OP. That's why I said you can let them know everything.

I have done just that :smile:
Original post by GANFYD
I have done just that :smile:

Great :h:. Hopefully, things work out well for OP and they get in. Applications are so scary.
Reply 12
Original post by GANFYD
Look at ARU, UEA, Aston, Liverpool, Edge Hill, QUB, Plymouth, HYMS - you should interview at all those
You may well interview at SGUL (cut off 2710 last year) and Leicester (your score 59, cut off 58.5 last year), but they are slightly more risky.
Aberdeen is an option.
If you give your UCAT breakdown, I can look at Nottingham and Lincoln, but Lincoln looks pretty safe, whatever.
If you have any WP flags, then Birmingham may be a possibility

Thanks so much for your swift reply
Greatly appreciated
For a novice like me- this advice is monumental- again Thank you

VR- 600
DM-660
QR- 760
AR-710

No WP though
Thanks
Reply 13
Also would Barts be an option please
UCAS Tariff- 240

Thanks again
Reply 14
Thought HYMS 73 was their cut off last year
With interim score- my decile has come from 8th to 7th sadly
gives me 73 points
was hoping for 77 (8th decile)

Thanks for your help
Original post by Doomil
Greatly appreciated

VR- 600
DM-660
QR- 760
AR-710

No WP though
Thanks
Original post by Doomil
Greatly appreciated

VR- 600
DM-660
QR- 760
AR-710

No WP though
Thanks

Then Nottingham score is 132, fine for both Nottingham and Lincoln

Original post by Doomil
Also would Barts be an option please
UCAS Tariff- 240

Thanks again

Yes, Barts was borderline with the points declared, but if you have another 44, then you should be fine

Original post by Doomil
gives me 73 points

Thanks for your help

2730 is 8th decile currently, and likely to go up with the final results, though maybe not to the 9th decile.
You have 77 points, with our best bet for scoring
Reply 16
gives me 73 points

Thanks for your help
Original post by Doomil
Greatly appreciated

VR- 600
DM-660
QR- 760
AR-710

No WP though
Thanks
Original post by Doomil
gives me 73 points

Thanks for your help

2730 is 8th decile in the interims, check it doesn't drop, but I have never known final deciles be higher than interim
Reply 18
Thanks very much again
Sorry for the hassle-

Barts another 44- are you referring for more ucas points needed or UCAT
Shall I drop Barts then please?

Thanks

Original post by GANFYD
Then Nottingham score is 132, fine for both Nottingham and Lincoln

Yes, Barts was borderline with the points declared, but if you have another 44, then you should be fine

2730 is 8th decile currently, and likely to go up with the final results, though maybe not to the 9th decile.
You have 77 points, with our best bet for scoring
Original post by Doomil
Thanks very much again
Sorry for the hassle-

Barts another 44- are you referring for more ucas points needed or UCAT
Shall I drop Barts then please?

Thanks

In your first post, I could see you had 196 UCAS points, as assumed the standard 3 A levels plus your EPQ (56+56+56+28). If you have another 44 (you say your tariff is 240) then you should be fine but they were not in your first post
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending