The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

all about me being a durham student

Scroll to see replies

SEVENTEEN.

I’ve only just realised it’s been two weeks since my last update lol. Apologies to the audience my delusional mind thinks I have. I’m in the Barbican Centre library writing this rn, just in London for a nice little day trip. Anyway, Epiphany term ended on the 17th so Durham is like a ghost town now. I’ve always said the town gets very empty and quiet during holidays and as much as I love the peace, it feels pretty lonely without students 🙁 But still way more people stay in Durham during Easter as compared to Christmas especially because we have exams next semester and the finalists have their dissertations due in about 3.5 weeks time.

On the last day of term, my housemates and I spent a good amount of time sharing food and chatting in the living room. They are the kind of people I don’t need a social battery for, and 5 hours with them felt like 1. I certainly miss them now that they’re back home for the break but also looking forward to the next and final few days when we all get to live together. They’re all graduating this year so it’ll be just me and new housemates from July.
MicrosoftTeams-image (5) (1).jpg

Disney Soc ended the term with a banger of a pizza party, as a thank you to our members for coming to the ball. It was also hustings for the next batch of exec who will take over from the current exec at the end of the academic year. Disney has been my baby for the past year and it’s been an absolute pleasure making wonderful posts for Instagram and helping with organising the ball. I can’t wait to hand it over and see the society grow in the upcoming years🥹
MicrosoftTeams-image (6).jpg

Also it was Monique’s birthday on the 19th so we decided to go clubbing in Newcastle! It was my first ever night out in Newcastle (which is kind of a shame since most Durham students already experience that in their first year) but better late than never, right? We were both new to this experience so just went off of google reviews and honestly it was quite good. I still kinda prefer nights out in Durham though because I feel much more safer there and we don’t have to wait hours for transport!! It was a successful night though and we enjoyed a lot.
MicrosoftTeams-image (7).jpg

It’s now time to focus on studies with exam period looming over us like the clouds in a typical British sky. I’ve got an immense load of lecture recordings to catch up on, wish me luck 😓

Your friendly neighbourhood spiderman
(edited 1 year ago)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

EIGHTEEN.

Welcome back Himieka, to your own blog that you consistently fail to maintain 🥲

For starters, it was my 20th birthday yesterday- I’m officially not a teen anymore! It’s also a realization that I can’t be as carefree as I have been till now, and it’s time to start building a career for myself. I’m sooo looking forward to everything that the decade ahead has to offer me, and I guess we’ll see where this takes me. Hopefully, I’ll be back onto this blog in 10 years time and go down the uni memories lane once again.

Anyway, I celebrated with my two closest friends in Durham. We cooked and ate food at my place first, vibing to music all along. Then we had a reservation for Lane 7, literally the only arcade + bowling zone to exist in Durham. It was pretty cool and humbling at the same time lmao cus I cannot bowl to save my life.

Spring's coming and flowers are starting to bloom all over Durham, I'll share some more pictures with you when we have cute cherry blossoms. The weather is like always, sometimes sunny and most times rainy but good days are ahead of us! Everything else is pretty much the same, I’m trying to manage some summer internship applications alongside revising for exams and it’s a bit hectic but we’re getting there. Also I've visited the library a few times over the break and damn are there so many people. Like wayyy more than Christmas break but understandable since dissertations are due soon and exams are going to drop like a bombshell.

For now, I’ve dumped some pretty photos from my camera roll here for no reason at all so enjoy :wink:
MicrosoftTeams-image (5) (1).jpgMicrosoftTeams-image (7).jpgMicrosoftTeams-image (8).jpgMicrosoftTeams-image (9).jpgMicrosoftTeams-image (10).jpg

Yours till Niagara falls
Original post by Durham Students

EIGHTEEN.

Welcome back Himieka, to your own blog that you consistently fail to maintain 🥲

For starters, it was my 20th birthday yesterday- I’m officially not a teen anymore! It’s also a realization that I can’t be as carefree as I have been till now, and it’s time to start building a career for myself. I’m sooo looking forward to everything that the decade ahead has to offer me, and I guess we’ll see where this takes me. Hopefully, I’ll be back onto this blog in 10 years time and go down the uni memories lane once again.

Anyway, I celebrated with my two closest friends in Durham. We cooked and ate food at my place first, vibing to music all along. Then we had a reservation for Lane 7, literally the only arcade + bowling zone to exist in Durham. It was pretty cool and humbling at the same time lmao cus I cannot bowl to save my life.

Spring's coming and flowers are starting to bloom all over Durham, I'll share some more pictures with you when we have cute cherry blossoms. The weather is like always, sometimes sunny and most times rainy but good days are ahead of us! Everything else is pretty much the same, I’m trying to manage some summer internship applications alongside revising for exams and it’s a bit hectic but we’re getting there. Also I've visited the library a few times over the break and damn are there so many people. Like wayyy more than Christmas break but understandable since dissertations are due soon and exams are going to drop like a bombshell.

For now, I’ve dumped some pretty photos from my camera roll here for no reason at all so enjoy :wink:
MicrosoftTeams-image (5) (1).jpgMicrosoftTeams-image (7).jpgMicrosoftTeams-image (8).jpgMicrosoftTeams-image (9).jpgMicrosoftTeams-image (10).jpg

Yours till Niagara falls

Happy Birthday Himieka! So glad you're enjoying being in Durham, even if the library is rammed :biggrin:
Original post by StrawberryDreams
Happy Birthday Himieka! So glad you're enjoying being in Durham, even if the library is rammed :biggrin:

Thank you so much :u:

NINETEEN.

I haven’t been up to much last week, except go to London for a day. It’s a bit weird how I’ve been to London a few times already but never really saw the tourist attractions, so this time I went to see the National Gallery, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace and more. It was sooooo cool to actually see everything in real life. The feeling was pretty similar to when I first arrived in Durham, everything I had seen in pictures suddenly became real and it was insane! Durham looked so so pretty to this pair of eyes that had never seen anything outside of Asia. Even still when I go out sometimes, Durham’s beauty just captures my heart like it did that very first time.

Ah and it’s the last week of Easter break, exams are starting soon and I wanna cry 😭 There’s so much syllabus to go through but the good thing is that exams are online and open book. Answering 3 questions in 24 hours is still a very high standard to achieve but I guess we’ll see what comes of it. I’m fairly confident I’ll get a 2:1 though, fortunately haven’t slacked off THAT much!

Ciao
(edited 1 year ago)

TWENTY. (ooh)

My first exam is in exactly 132 hours. That statistic just puts more pressure on me but ig that’s going to be life for about 3 weeks now :smile:

Anyway, I have some news to share. Your gal was highly commended for going above and beyond during her internship i.e., this! Durham organises Student Employee of the Year Awards every year where your employer can nominate you in different categories. I didn’t win in my category but being the runner up was still a very big achievement for me! Mine was literally the first award that they announced and I was shocked to my core, for a second I didn’t believe what I was hearing lol. But my team members were sitting on the same table and they started cheering, which brought me back to my senses and I went to receive the award haha. Aaaand just like last time, The Durham Student team won the best team award this year as well!! Our manager gave a super cute speech commending us and the room was full of applause.
MicrosoftTeams-image (5) (2).jpgMicrosoftTeams-image (6) (1).jpg

I also just received the final grade for my Korean module this morning, I got a first 😭. It wasn’t a super tough module to do especially because I paid attention in class. I think I only spent like 20-30 hours over a period of 2 terms actually doing independent study, so that’s a pretty easyway of securing a good score and learning the basics of a new language. I’m also continuing it next year at Level 2, and I know it’ll be super difficult but I don’t wanna just leave it in the middle. Fingers crossed 🤞

It’s officially spring now that cherry blossoms have started to bloom all over Durham, it’s the prettiest sight istg. The pictures I’ve attached below show the outside of St Marys, there’s lot of green space there with beautiful trees- amazing to have some fresh air or study in peace without getting distracted by other humans in the library. I’m currently in the process of editing a Tiktok of me walking from Maiden Castle (uni’s main sports centre) to the city centre, showing the beautiful walking path and the scenery- hopefully you’ll get to see it soon @thedurhamstudent.
MicrosoftTeams-image (7) (1).jpgMicrosoftTeams-image (8) (1).jpgMicrosoftTeams-image (9) (1).jpg

Good luck to everyone starting their A-levels soon, I hope you rock it 😉

TWENTY ONE.

Exam season is hereeeee. This is going to be a short one as I’ve gotta get back to revising for exams. My first one was yesterday and it was on the employment law module. It’s been my favourite module this year but the exam was still draining, to say the least. All exams are online and we’re given 24 hours to write and submit them, although they recommend only spending 3 hours (which is a very very VERY unrealistic expectation tbh). It took me 16 hours in total but I finished it and to a good quality I think.

For everyone doing uni exams or A-levels or GCSEs, please please remember to look after yourself especially during this period. It’s very important to take regular breaks to eat food and stay hydrated. Get off that chair and stretch your legs once in a while, it really helps. Most importantly, don’t compare yourself to others. This is a very easy spiral to go down and as someone who’s been there, I can tell you it’s never worth it. Focus on yourself and build your own timeline. And don’t worry about the smallest of things in life, it’s probably not even going to matter in 5 years from now.

See you on the other side

TWENTY TWO.

Can you believe half of 2023 is almost gone? It was literally January just a month ago 😵

Anywayyy, exams are officially over. When I was in that two-week period, it felt like time couldn’t go slow enough. But once it was over, it felt like everything went by so fast. Irrespective of how I feel the exams went, I’m pretty excited to get the scores. Nobody knows when we’re getting our results back because of the marking boycott but I think it’ll be before August because that’s when all the resits are.

Moving to the fun stuff, it’s an exciting time to be at Durham. Loads of stuff happens in the uni until the term ends and we’re all here for it. Summer balls, college days, picnics on the racecourse, society events, formals- there’s just so much! You probably already know about balls and formals but for those who don’t, balls are like high school proms- you go to a (usually external) venue, there’s food, music, dancing and good company. There’s also always some form of entertainment involved- this can include bouncy castle, bumper cars, fireworks, etc. On the other hand, formals take place in your college- this is where you come together with other students in your college and share a nice meal. Some formals are gowned (depending on your college) just like in harry potter. There’s some really good content on balls and formals up on @thedurhamstudent Tiktok so go and check it out!!

College days are like a festival in your college. It celebrates the day your college cam einto existence and each college has one on a separate day. Hopefully you’ll only want to go to your own college’s college day, which will also be heavily subsidized if you’re a JCR member but you can also attend other ones by purchasing a move expensive ticket. College days involve street food vans like burgers and pizza, drinks, stash like curated Tshirts and cups, entertainment like rides and games as well as student bands playing music throughout the day. Again check our Tiktok page for content on this, there’s loads! I made one video on South College day last year: https://www.tiktok.com/@thedurhamstudent/video/7107263027765841157

Here’s a photo from when my friend and I did a picnic on the racecourse, it was a beautiful sunny day and everyone was out with their friends:
MicrosoftTeams-image (5) (4).jpg

Until next time

TWENTY THREE.

Hey fellas, I hope everything is well. I’m in Toronto now, so for the next 3 weeks, you’re not going to see any latest Durham content from me (yeah sad). It is definitely nice to be away from the scorching heat in Britain though, it’s still monsoon season here so a mix of hot and cold weather prevails. And I travelled in the metro (subway/tube) yesterday, god I missed it so much. It used to be my main mode of transport in Delhi and I’m always metro deprived in Durham.

Moving to some Durham-y news, my second-year result is coming out on the 22nd. Like if any current uni students are reading this, you’ll probably roll your eyes at me, but I’m kinda excited to get the results. The excitement partly stems from the fact that there was a massive uncertainty over when or if at all we’ll get our results back due to the UCU marking boycott, but also because I chose my modules this year and I should do good in modules I actively decided to study right? I’m especially looking forward to employment law scores, it was my favourite module- so much so that I’ll be writing my dissertation on a topic from it.

And for finalists, this is the time to graduate. It’s so so so sad that all my housemates this year are finalists and I’m probably never going to see them again, but I’m very happy for whatever life has on hold for their futures. I feel like being a uni graduate puts you in a very weird spot- you’ve been committed to an academic sphere for probably the past 18 years of your life and now you just have to move on from it and be a real fee-earning adult. I know uni prepares us for that really well, especially since most students move out of their homes, cook meals and do house chores, get part-time jobs while also studying full-time, but it’s still a very different dynamic when you start a graduate job because now you’re responsible for other people as well. And the struggle to find a job is a massive one as well, and I’m currently going through it.

What I do know is, it’s best not to compare yourself to other people who might be getting things you want. Everyday I see these ‘I’m pleased to share that’ posts on LinkedIn while I’m just here writing a blog about their posts. This is the kind of attitude I’m trying to change, and it’s difficult but I know I need to change it. Everyone has a different journey and things come to everyone at different times- just because someone else got something doesn’t mean you won’t. Just keep putting in the effort and you’ll definitely reach where you want to be. And this rule applies to every aspect of life- for the majority of my audience (sixth form students), this comes in the form of making uni applications and seeing other people receive offers. All I can say is, don’t give up. You’re exactly where you’re meant to be even though you may not be where you thought you’d be. Have faith in yourself :wink:

Bless up

TWENTY FOUR.

I had my first dissertation meeting today and it went pretty well actually- I went in with just a very broad theme in mind but my supervisor helped me break that down into more concrete concepts so now I’ll be spending this time over summer to research the topic in detail. For those of us who don’t know, all final-year students have to produce a dissertation- it’s basically a 12000-word essay. The work on this has to begin from the summer before, and the final work has to be submitted in Easter term of the final year i.e., April 2024 for me.

In more exciting news, graduation ceremonies have started today at the Durham Cathedral! All of my housemates will have their ceremonies next week but I won’t be there with them :frown: Anyway, the congregation is pretty cool and last year I spotted Jack Edwards at the ceremony too. if you wanna see what graduation ceremonies are like, keep an eye out on @thedurhamstudent Tiktok and Instagram channels, our graduating interns will be sharing their stories with you! For now, have a look at these: https://www.tiktok.com/@thedurhamstudent/video/7116137945790237958
https://www.tiktok.com/@thedurhamstudent/video/7116814714704760070
https://www.tiktok.com/@thedurhamstudent/video/7117285002924018949

Peace out, brussel sprout

TWENTY FIVE.

Summer has obviously started and we get a massive 3 month break before the academic year starts again in October. I’ve decided to follow my journey through this blog during the summer also because I know some of us may not get the chance to leave our uni town during breaks, so you should know that you’re not alone and you can still do many things without needing other people.

So how have I been spending my time? When I came back from Canada that I had way too much time on my hands. I was still in my holiday spirit and didn’t wanna do anything but chill around the house. That caused me to pass my time by scrolling on Tiktok and Instagram, texting people and getting annoyed because they didn’t reply quickly enough (as if they don’t have jobs). Obviously, nothing about this was productive and the constant rain did not encourage me to leave the house. The weird part is- I DID realize that I was doing nothing productive but I needed to hear it from someone else to actually do something about it.

It’s not that I had way too much time before, I just wasn’t doing all the things that I needed to do like filling training contract applications, going to the gym, cooking healthy food, and starting the research for my dissertation (I’m still procrastinating this one btw). So I decided to sit down with my laptop and start somewhere- no matter where it leads me, I told myself that I’ll start doing something out of all the tasks on my list. It doesn’t matter how much I do it or if I finish it- as long as it’s productive and leading to the completion of my tasks, I’ll do it.

That really helped, and the application cycle finished on July 31st and I was able to send a few in. I’m also trying to stick to the gym regularly which I absolutely enjoy, but again the rainy weather seems too discouraging sometimes. I went grocery shopping this morning after procrastinating for about 3 days, but atleast I did it and I feel good. Also I’ve started reading books to reduce my screen time. Ofcourse screen time is always an issue for students as we’re constantly on our laptops for studying but I’m trying to reduce time I waste on social media.

To help with this, I just borrow books from the Bill Bryson library. They have an online portal where you can search all library catalogues from academic articles to any books. If they have it, it’ll show you where in the library you can find it and if they don’t have it, you can submit a request to purchase and they’ll buy it for you so you don’t have to spend money. Till now I’ve only read Mark Manson’s Subtle Art of Not Giving A **** and am halfway through James Clear’s Atomic Habits. Those are really good books btw and it’s books like these that make you appreciate and navigate the realities of life rather than the ones that ask you to always be happy and view life as sunshine and rainbows.

This has turned out to be a completely non-Durham-related blog entry lmao, so here are some photos I clicked on some of my walks:

MicrosoftTeams-image (5) (3).jpgMicrosoftTeams-image (6) (2).jpgMicrosoftTeams-image (7) (2).jpgMicrosoftTeams-image (8) (2).jpg

Bon appetit

TWENTY SIX.

CONGRATULATIONS BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE

I’m so so proud of everyone today, of everyone who put in so much work for their exams, sat through the immensely stressful period of hearing back on uni applications, waited for the A-level results, got into their first choice/insurance, found a place through clearing or chose to take a gap year. Every single one of you is doing amazing.

For those coming to Durham, I hope you make the most of the next 3-4 years of your life because they (very honestly) go by really quickly. One day you’ll be at a freshers event and then in the blink of an eye, you’ll be crying about your final year dissertation. I still vividly remember the only freshers event I went to- it was a games night and I managed to talk to 4 people despite being extremely introverted (below is a photo from that night- i look absolutely cringe lol). And now I’m about to start my final year and it’s still so hard to believe that this time next year, I probably will already have written my final blog entry here. Whilst I'm reminiscing that, here are my key moments from my first year.
MicrosoftTeams-image (9) (2).jpg

You have so so much to be excited for- for starters, matriculation!!! Oof it’s a beautiful event, you don’t really do anything other than listen to a speech but dressing up in those gowns for the first time is so surreal. Also if you didn’t know this, when you exit the cathedral after the ceremony, the Freps of your college stand outside banging pots as congratulations and to mark the beginning of your new journey. I sure felt like a celebrity in that moment lol. Then there’s the freshers week with so many social events, maybe college Ikea trips, night outs, freshers fair- you name it. My blog entry closer to that time will have tips on how to survive as a fresher so check in again later :wink:
MicrosoftTeams-image (10) (1).jpg

Again congratulations for absolutely smashing your A-levels and I can't wait to see some of you in Duz x

TWENTY SEVEN.

Michaelmas term is here and the freshers are starting to see what living in Durham is actually like!

Firstly, apologies for the massive gap between this and my last post, I’ve been very very busy with applications. I’m hoping to get back into routine now, and I’ll also have more tailored content for you guys since a lot goes on on campus during term time.

Coming to what’s new with me, I’ve started with The Firm Rundown as a podcast presenter. This is a student-led podcast for aspiring solicitors, and it was started by Durham students about a year ago. It was in collaboration with Durham’s student radio called Purple Radio (super cool- something to explore as a Durham student), but now it’s branched off as we’re focusing on widening our audience appeal. So last month I interviewed a partner at a leading UK law firm which was a pretty cool (and oh so daunting) experience but the partner was super nice and the conversation went on comfortably. It’ll be posted on Spotify soon so you can check it out 👀

Last week was freshers week and I saw our freshers all suited and gowned up for matriculation- it reminded me of when I was a fresher and was starting this new journey. I didn’t take any photos but lots of content was posted on the university’s instagram and individual college instagram and tiktok pages, with the college Freps doing an amazing job of leading the freshers and helping them settle in (seriously massive hats off to them).

Now that term’s started, loads of events are being put on. Today I’m attending the Part-time jobs, Placement Year and Volunteering fair which is organized by our careers service team. This is where employers offering student opportunities come on campus and we can engage with them and explore what’s available. Then next week is the law careers week with in-person and virtual events, accompanied by a law fair too. I’ll tell you how it goes!

To any freshers reading this (highly unlikely lol), I hope you have a good rest of your time at Durham. And for any prospective students considering applying to Durham, hopefully this blog will give you an insight into what student life can look like at Durham 🙂

See you next week!

TWENTY EIGHT.

It’s been a good week here in Durham. The part-time jobs fair I mentioned in my previous post was a success as I saw loads of employers on campus and students engaging with them. I was wearing my @thedurhamstudent stash and one of the students came up to me and asked where I got it from. When I told him it was from my marketing internship, he decided to apply for the role just so he could get the stash too ☠️
MicrosoftTeams-image (6) (2).jpg

Then on 11th October, there was the Law Fair. Again so many employers came on campus including Herbert Smith Freehills, Hay & Kilner, Ropes & Gray, Latham & Watkins, Hogan Lovells, DLA Piper, Flex Legal, etc. All of them had a pretty good selection of stash which was obviously very attractive but I only engaged with the law firms that I’m actually interested in and will be applying to. This helped me to spend more time at the select number of stalls and build a connection with the trainees so I can reach out to them on LinkedIn later. It’s a good idea to engage with as many firms as you can when you’re in your first or second year though!
MicrosoftTeams-image (7) (2).jpg

This year I’m hoping to get involved with the Pro Bono society and one of their projects. They held an introductory presentation on Friday where they introduced all of their projects. The one I’m interested in is where they advise Ukrainian refugees on simple legal tasks like how to rent a flat and the documentation associated with it, how to open a bank account, etc. This is so language does not hinder them from starting a life in the UK. There are other projects on offer too, like Citizens Advice, Families in Care, HALO Project etc. If you’re interested, you can check out their Instagram page!
MicrosoftTeams-image (8) (2).jpg

Alsoooo in my careers internship, I got to interview some students! The Faculty Placement Managers organized an event for students who have just returned from their placement year to get together and know each other so they don’t feel alone. It was a pretty fun event, the food was absolutely gracious, and it was my first time interviewing people so it was a cool experience! This is just a snapshot from one of the videos:
MicrosoftTeams-image (5) (3).jpg

Adios

I must say I don’t have any juicy content this time. Uni life isn't always candies and rainbows. Life in your final year can be pretty intense. It’s more difficult having to juggle academics alongside extracurriculars and part-time jobs and applying for graduate jobs. I barely have time to socialize which honestly I don’t mind because I still find time outside of work and studies to rejuvenate myself. So if I don’t have much to say here, you’ll know why.

One of the events I attended this past week was an open day at a law firm in London, which was really cool. I had to catch a train at 6 am and luckily I woke up in enough time to not miss it. It was amazing networking with all the people there, I even saw other students from Durham which was a bit unexpected. Here is a photo from near their office, pretty chic if you ask me.

MicrosoftTeams-image (5) (3).jpg

It’s Diwali today and also India v Netherlands in the ICC World Cup. If you’ve read my earlier posts, you probably already know me as a cricket fan, But today’s match isn’t too exciting because India’s already in the semi-finals so even if they lost today, it wouldn’t matter. As for Diwali, for those of us who don’t know, it’s an Indian festival which historically celebrates the victory of good over evil and is basically the Christmas of India. I haven't celebrated Diwali with my family in about 3 years now since I’m never home during this time- yeah, it’s a bit sad. Fortunately, Durham tries its very best to create the same festive atmosphere here so different colleges organize their own events, and so does the International Students’ Association. On the 14th, I’m going to this event at the Oriental Museum where they’re celebrating Diwali with food, games, music, crafts and more. Don’t worry, I’ll share the content here 😌

Academic life is sailing pretty smoothly so far which is surprising because same time last year, I’d already had 2-3 breakdowns because I was so overwhelmed with work. It’s mostly due to the fact that I’m only doing 3 law modules and the rest is dissertation and Korean. It’s definitely a lot more self-study and less assignment deadlines but that just means that now I have more responsibility to structure my time. I’m not complaining at all! Also on the events side of things, I attended this recruitment quiz organized by a law firm called Hay & Kilner in Newcastle. They had some pretty cool rounds- one of which was to identify metal band names from their logos (very difficult smh). Our team came 3rd actually so can't say we did badly! They also had Thai food in which the spring rolls were god-tier, I still dream about them 🤤

Also, Durham sky’s been in some beautiful colours the past few days:

안녕

Well hello there

I’m back (kind of!). Life has been very up and down these past few months, as you might be able to gauge. It’s the pressure of dissertation, exams, applying for graduate jobs, working 2 part-time jobs and still trying to maintain a life outside of this that takes up all of my time.

I’ve said several times before that I’ll try to keep up with my posts but I was just getting ahead of myself. That’s why I’m saying that I’m kind of back, because I want to work realistically instead of promising updates and not delivering on them. I have been pretty active on this forum though and hopefully some of you have benefitted from my responses 🙂

In terms of university updates, we’re currently on Easter break until last week of April. My main goal during this time is to complete my dissertation- I’m about 60% through so it’s not going too badly. The topic is based on exploring how the use of AI in employment contexts is regulated in the UK, and how different issues surrounding privacy, data protection and discrimination can be dealt with through reforms and new legislations. It might be boring to some of you but it’s an incredibly interesting topic to me given the rapid developments we’re seeing especially in the EU with its AI Act and Platform Work Directive.

I also did work experience with an employment law firm in Newcastle and a direct access barrister in Chester-le-Street which was super cool. For those of you who might be looking to get some work experience in your pocket before you start your law degree, I would say it’s definitely worth making speculative applications to barristers and solicitor firms in your area as they might be willing to take on some students who have a genuine passion for learning. This is exactly how I secured both of my legal work experiences.

The focus on work experience has also been very clear at Durham. The careers team, I think, have made amazing headway when it comes to identifying and offering opportunities for students. This is 100% something that I was looking for in my university as a prospective applicant and I can say with confidence that Durham has met the mark in that aspect for me. Several internship programmes including summer research internships within departments, specific internships for students with autism, internships via collabration with local SMEs, internships within uni departments and colleges, opportunity to pitch a business idea if you’re interested in creating your own start-up, and so much more is on offer now.

If you’re an incoming Durham student, I would say engage with the Careers team from the very beginning. Look into what’s on offer and set up alerts on the CareersConnect portal (you’ll have access to this once you’re formally enrolled as a Durham student) to see what’s new. Maybe even consider a placement year- many students even end up securing a graduate job at the end of their placement.

Hopefully I’ll come to you with an update next week too but until then,
Live, laugh, love
(edited 4 weeks ago)

Quick Reply

Latest