The Student Room Group

what is a conditional offer?

hello! i don't really understand what a conditional offer entails. my predicted grades are slightly below the entry requirements for 2 of my 5 university choices, so im wondering whether i should still apply in the hopes of getting a conditional offer? for example, would a conditional offer state "if you were to achieve A* instead of A for XYZ subject for your exams, you will receive a place at our university"?
Original post by fuzzyturtle
hello! i don't really understand what a conditional offer entails. my predicted grades are slightly below the entry requirements for 2 of my 5 university choices, so im wondering whether i should still apply in the hopes of getting a conditional offer? for example, would a conditional offer state "if you were to achieve A* instead of A for XYZ subject for your exams, you will receive a place at our university"?

A conditional off simply means you will be offered a place if you meet certain conditions. Typically it means obtaining a minimum set of A level grades. This has nothing to do with your predicted grades and will make no reference to your predicted grades.
Just about everyone who hasn’t sat A levels by the time they apply to uni gets a conditional offer. If you apply after you get your grades, any offer is unconditional.
No a conditional offer will say ‘on terms you you achieving A* in maths A* in physics and A in chemistry’ obviously that’s just an example, generally a conditional offer will say what is stated on the entry requirements on the website.
It won’t reference your predicted etc, it could be lower than on the website but I don’t think it’s ever higher.
Sometimes for certain courses it will also include stipulations like health forms etc
A conditional offer in a nutshell means that you'll be a given a place at that institution if you meet the Universities conditions (which is their grade requirements). For example, you are given a conditional offer of A, C, C or the equivalent of that in UCAS Points - as long as you meet the conditions of this offer (you get A, C, C or the equivalent in UCAS Points) you will be given a place to study there.
Original post by ALEreapp
No a conditional offer will say ‘on terms you you achieving A* in maths A* in physics and A in chemistry’ obviously that’s just an example, generally a conditional offer will say what is stated on the entry requirements on the website.
It won’t reference your predicted etc, it could be lower than on the website but I don’t think it’s ever higher.
Sometimes for certain courses it will also include stipulations like health forms etc

This happened to an applicant to Cambridge in the 2021 application cycle for 2022 entry. So probably Oxford and Cambridge are the exceptions.
Original post by BubblesBB
This happened to an applicant to Cambridge in the 2021 application cycle for 2022 entry. So probably Oxford and Cambridge are the exceptions.

Oh really that’s crazy, I didn’t even know they were even allowed to do that tbh! But I suppose it could happen particularly for very competitive universities like oxbridge
Original post by ALEreapp
Oh really that’s crazy, I didn’t even know they were even allowed to do that tbh! But I suppose it could happen particularly for very competitive universities like oxbridge

Yeah, the poster couldn't believe it was ever done too. I did ask my school's uni advisor and she said it's probably because most of the applicants present very high grades, and Cambridge doesn't want applicants to slacken after getting their offers, and it would be several months after exams when university term begins in Oct.

A conditional offer is just that- an offer with a certain set of conditions. What those conditions are depends on the course you've applied for. If you meet the conditions with your achieved grades, congrats, you're in! If not, you'll need to contact the uni to see if they can make an adjustment (especially if you missed it narrowly) or you'll have to pick another uni.

A conditional offer is an offer with conditions they wound quite say it like you said it’ll just say you need to achieve grade XYZ on results day then you get in so a offer may read ABC or what ever if you get those grades you off will become unconditional and your in job done.
Original post by sleep_supremacy
A conditional offer is just that- an offer with a certain set of conditions. What those conditions are depends on the course you've applied for. If you meet the conditions with your achieved grades, congrats, you're in! If not, you'll need to contact the uni to see if they can make an adjustment (especially if you missed it narrowly) or you'll have to pick another uni.

This info is wrong there is no adjustment. Universities receive grades about a week before you do. They will have made a decision. Ringing them isnt going to change tings and is only going to prevent others getting through. Do not ring universities if you have been rejected. You just have to accept you were rejected and look elsewhere during clearing.
Original post by swanseajack1
This info is wrong there is no adjustment. Universities receive grades about a week before you do. They will have made a decision. Ringing them isnt going to change tings and is only going to prevent others getting through. Do not ring universities if you have been rejected. You just have to accept you were rejected and look elsewhere during clearing.

I think sleep was referring to being accepted as a near miss rather than the formal Adjustment process which has not been with us for a couple of cycles now.

As above, no point calling if there is a decision. However definitely worth calling if you have not met offer and no decision on Hub.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending