The Student Room Group

How easy is it to get into the conservation sector?

Hi, hope this is the right forum it kind of applies to charities and such, couldn't really find the right one.
I'm really interested in ecology/conservation, but whenever I look online on how to get jobs there's never really anything about, I was wondering if anyone had any info?
Whenever you look at getting into conservation, they just sort of say start doing this, try starting off small as a camera-person, etcetera, etcetera. But when you look on websites like Indeed, and more specific websites like charities, there are barely any conservation/ecology jobs (excluding wardens really), and I'm just really worried it's a sector that's really hard to get into? Does anyone know?
It just feels like it's such a niche place that's hard to get a grip in it without knowing the right people, so I'd be grateful for any information people could give me.
I have seen before people in the sector, but many have said they were unemployed or in an extremely different job to the one that they wanted for years before, but how many people just get stuck with that?
Thanks
Original post by {Moss}
Hi, hope this is the right forum it kind of applies to charities and such, couldn't really find the right one.
I'm really interested in ecology/conservation, but whenever I look online on how to get jobs there's never really anything about, I was wondering if anyone had any info?
Whenever you look at getting into conservation, they just sort of say start doing this, try starting off small as a camera-person, etcetera, etcetera. But when you look on websites like Indeed, and more specific websites like charities, there are barely any conservation/ecology jobs (excluding wardens really), and I'm just really worried it's a sector that's really hard to get into? Does anyone know?
It just feels like it's such a niche place that's hard to get a grip in it without knowing the right people, so I'd be grateful for any information people could give me.
I have seen before people in the sector, but many have said they were unemployed or in an extremely different job to the one that they wanted for years before, but how many people just get stuck with that?
Thanks

So I'm studying vet med currently and want to go into conservation. Many of my friends studied zoology and then work or tried to work in conservation. Very few people who want to do conservation are able to get jobs as there are too many people who want them and too few jobs. The jobs there are also don't have great pay which is why my friends came back to uni to do vet med
Reply 2
Original post by flamingolover
So I'm studying vet med currently and want to go into conservation. Many of my friends studied zoology and then work or tried to work in conservation. Very few people who want to do conservation are able to get jobs as there are too many people who want them and too few jobs. The jobs there are also don't have great pay which is why my friends came back to uni to do vet med

I see, yep. Thank you, that's really helpful. I don't suppose I could ask how you're finding veterinary medicine at the moment, it's a similar pathway I'm interested in and I'd be interested to hear your general thoughts, if you're able?
Original post by {Moss}
I see, yep. Thank you, that's really helpful. I don't suppose I could ask how you're finding veterinary medicine at the moment, it's a similar pathway I'm interested in and I'd be interested to hear your general thoughts, if you're able?

I am enjoying it but i have to admit it is hard. There is a lot of content to cover which is difficult and stressful but its manageable because i enjoy it!
Reply 4
Original post by flamingolover
I am enjoying it but i have to admit it is hard. There is a lot of content to cover which is difficult and stressful but its manageable because i enjoy it!

That's really interesting, thanks so much for the information! I really appreciate it, I hope you enjoy the rest of your degree and good luck with the future!
Reply 5
Great insight, thank you for speaking my mind. I have had this issue for long hope to get some help here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending