The Student Room Group

Computer science universities

Hello, i have a question about good UK universities for computer science. I'm currently doing Pure Math, Further Math, Physics, Chemistry and Russian A-levels , and my predictions are A,A*,A*,A*,A* respectively . My current list is Imperial, UCL, Edinburgh, Birmingham, Bristol. I'm thinking about changing Edinburgh university to something else since it requires to study 4 years. Could you recommend some good universities that requires not too high entry requirements and that has a good ranking, location, student life and department
Reply 1
For academics, Warwick > Manchester > Bath = Southampton = Sheffield. These are the five best replacements for Edinburgh CS.
However, location / student life-wise, Manchester > Sheffield > Southampton = Bath > Warwick.
Warwick is one of the best unis for CS not only in the UK but also in the world, but it’s in coventry and to actually enjoy night life you have to take the train to Birmingham, which is an about 20~30 minute trip, so it’s really good for concentrating in studying but student life isn’t that good.
Manchester’s as you should know, the third biggest city in the UK right after London and Birmingham. It’s hard to get better night life than in Manchester. Also their academics in CS is great too, so imo Manchester is the best choice for you. One thing you have to bare in mind is that Manchester has a comically high entry requirement of A*A*A*. However, with your grades, you have a great chance of getting into the uni.
The other unis are pretty much the same, go for the city you like. Good luck!
Reply 2
Many thanks for your answer . How do you personally think is my list of universities is good and is it safe? And which university i should change there
Original post by sk0917
For academics, Warwick > Manchester > Bath = Southampton = Sheffield. These are the five best replacements for Edinburgh CS.
However, location / student life-wise, Manchester > Sheffield > Southampton = Bath > Warwick.
Warwick is one of the best unis for CS not only in the UK but also in the world, but it’s in coventry and to actually enjoy night life you have to take the train to Birmingham, which is an about 20~30 minute trip, so it’s really good for concentrating in studying but student life isn’t that good.
Manchester’s as you should know, the third biggest city in the UK right after London and Birmingham. It’s hard to get better night life than in Manchester. Also their academics in CS is great too, so imo Manchester is the best choice for you. One thing you have to bare in mind is that Manchester has a comically high entry requirement of A*A*A*. However, with your grades, you have a great chance of getting into the uni.
The other unis are pretty much the same, go for the city you like. Good luck!

you say Warwick is better for academics compared to Manchester, is that true? I know Warwick is elite but how much more than Manchester?
Reply 4
The reason why Manchester has such a high ranking internationally is due to their research quality imo. Warwick focuses more on teaching, and Manchester focuses more on research. International rankings give larger weight on research quality than teaching quality, so Manchester, being such a large and well-financed university, has a better shot on it than Warwick. However, domestic rankings give larger weight on the teaching quality, and that’s why Warwick has such a high ranking domestically. However, for CS, they’re both outstanding universities so I recommend choosing between them by the city you want to live in for 3 years. But Warwick does have high teaching quality compared to the other unis above imo, and that’s why they can sustain not only the domestic ranking, but also the international ranking to that level.
Reply 5
if you think London UCL,King's college and city university.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending