The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Accommodation

Hi,

( university of York)

I’m probably thinking too much about this but I want to make sure I get the right accommodation for me. I received an offer to study psychology this month so thought that since accommodation opens in new year I should look at it.

1)I like the sounds of catering ( James and Vanbrugh) but worried what this would actually be like. Do you end up eating tea alone or do people usually pre plan when to go as i fear that it could be very lonely having to walk to get catered food to only eat alone.

2)With studying psychology would it be claustrophobic being in James college as it’s so close- I’m a lazy person so the short walk would be good but is it too close?

3)I’m into sports and heard James is a sporty college is this true or just like a reputation. But with this I’m worried it’s going to be full of people who love to party 24/7 so very loud. Is this the case or again a stereotype.

I know this seems excessive but any help would be amazing !
(edited 1 year ago)
hi! first off, don't worry that you're overthinking! it's so good to be prepared and it's great that you're already looking into your options!
i'm a second year at UoY and know a bit about each of the questions you've asked so i'll try to answer them as best as i can!

1) in first year i was in Vanbrugh catered accommodation (in Eric Milner B - not being used anymore but is very closee to James!). at the start of the year i was very nervous about making friends so sometimes did end up going to dinner by myself (breakfast by yourself is much more common because you start your day at different times to your friends!). this was honestly fine because there was always loads of space and tables to sit at! by a few weeks into first term i started going to dinner with some flatmates and it was such a great bonding experience! i actually live with these friends now and go together with one of them so it definitely brings you closer together! as the year went on we'd tend to all just meet at around 6pm unless someone was busy and all walk over to eat together! plus it's so convenient especially if you've had a long day and just want to have dinner as soon as you can! i wouldn't worry though if you did have to go by yourself - there will always be someone there to sit with if you really want to!

2) i studied biology (which is over the bridge in James college) and being based just next to James in Eric Milner was definitely convenient as it took 5 mins to get to workshops etc! i don't think you'd feel claustrophobic as you can always take a walk around the lakes and see the ducks if you wanted! i will say though that just because you're studying psychology, it doesn't mean that all of your contact hours will be in the psychology building! i've had in person sessions in the biology, maths, psychology, and even english buildings so you won't feel trapped into a certain area of campus!

3) i have a few friends from James and it definitely is one of the sporty colleges but being in any other college doesn't stop you from doing sports!! the west campus sports building is next to James which is very convenient but it's available for anyone from any college to use!

i hope this helps!
University of York
York
Reply 2
Original post by kierab22
hi! first off, don't worry that you're overthinking! it's so good to be prepared and it's great that you're already looking into your options!
i'm a second year at UoY and know a bit about each of the questions you've asked so i'll try to answer them as best as i can!

1) in first year i was in Vanbrugh catered accommodation (in Eric Milner B - not being used anymore but is very closee to James!). at the start of the year i was very nervous about making friends so sometimes did end up going to dinner by myself (breakfast by yourself is much more common because you start your day at different times to your friends!). this was honestly fine because there was always loads of space and tables to sit at! by a few weeks into first term i started going to dinner with some flatmates and it was such a great bonding experience! i actually live with these friends now and go together with one of them so it definitely brings you closer together! as the year went on we'd tend to all just meet at around 6pm unless someone was busy and all walk over to eat together! plus it's so convenient especially if you've had a long day and just want to have dinner as soon as you can! i wouldn't worry though if you did have to go by yourself - there will always be someone there to sit with if you really want to!

2) i studied biology (which is over the bridge in James college) and being based just next to James in Eric Milner was definitely convenient as it took 5 mins to get to workshops etc! i don't think you'd feel claustrophobic as you can always take a walk around the lakes and see the ducks if you wanted! i will say though that just because you're studying psychology, it doesn't mean that all of your contact hours will be in the psychology building! i've had in person sessions in the biology, maths, psychology, and even english buildings so you won't feel trapped into a certain area of campus!

3) i have a few friends from James and it definitely is one of the sporty colleges but being in any other college doesn't stop you from doing sports!! the west campus sports building is next to James which is very convenient but it's available for anyone from any college to use!

i hope this helps!

Hi! Thankyou so much it’s been really helpful!
Hi there,

I'm so pleased to hear you've received an offer to study at York - what exciting news!

I'm a recent graduate, and I lived in catered accommodation for my first year. I found being catered to be incredibly social - I personally never went to an evening meal on my own, our flat had a group chat and each day we'd all put when we wanted / needed to go to dinner, and then we'd make sure that everyone had someone to go with. I'd suggest reaching out to your flatmates and suggesting a time to go to dinner - chances are, they might not fancy going alone either and will appreciate your message! I did find that I went to a lot of my breakfasts alone, but a lot of people did this, and it wasn't a big deal or lonely. I'd usually watch Netflix or listen to a podcast as I had my breakfast.

I lived about a 7-minute walk away from my department in my first year, and I personally didn't find this claustrophobic - I loved being able to get to my lectures very quickly when I overslept! In your later years, you'll likely live off-campus anyway, so if I were you, I'd enjoy being close to your subject in first year, as you'll probably have a slightly longer commute in later years.

In terms of sports, every college offers college sport and each college will compete with one another. There are different teams depending on ability, so you can go to a more relaxed session if you're trying something you're not confident in (yet!). There is also uni level sport if you're more on the competitive side! So, as sjh_2004 has said, being in a college other than James won't stop you from taking part in sport.

I hope this helps,

Hannah :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Sjh_2004
Hi,

( university of York)

I’m probably thinking too much about this but I want to make sure I get the right accommodation for me. I received an offer to study psychology this month so thought that since accommodation opens in new year I should look at it.

1)I like the sounds of catering ( James and Vanbrugh) but worried what this would actually be like. Do you end up eating tea alone or do people usually pre plan when to go as i fear that it could be very lonely having to walk to get catered food to only eat alone.

2)With studying psychology would it be claustrophobic being in James college as it’s so close- I’m a lazy person so the short walk would be good but is it too close?

3)I’m into sports and heard James is a sporty college is this true or just like a reputation. But with this I’m worried it’s going to be full of people who love to party 24/7 so very loud. Is this the case or again a stereotype.

I know this seems excessive but any help would be amazing !

The sublet dormitory is in Wentworth college, the room type is ensuite, and the time is from now to September.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending