The Student Room Group

Does uni ranking matter?

I graduated from Heriot Watt University Malaysia with a 1st class degree

I wanna ask, does uni ranking matter in that , will I enjoy the same graduate career prospects as someone who has say graduated from LSE in AS/Econs? Or maybe someone from UCL /ICL/Oxbridge with a Natural sciences / maths degree , or someone from Warwick who took MORSE?

I know it's a moot point discussing this as I already graduated but I wanna ask cause I am considering finding jobs in the UK, and I already received an offer from Imperial to do my masters in Risk Management and Financial Engineering there.

I want to know if I can also find jobs there as someone who did their undergrad in one of the G5/russel group unis as mine is not particularly well known as far as I am aware.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump
Original post by Ewanlee
bump

There is no need to bump a post 39 minutes after making it - you shouldn't bump a post for 24 hours after making it and not more than every 12 hours thereafter, unless it is no longer on the front page of the forum you posted it in.

In any case it doesn't matter for working in "industry". The only situation where the uni you go to does directly matter is for investment banking and management consulting, and they don't care about ranking, they care whether your uni is one of their target unis or not (which often correlates with high ranking, but doesn't exclusively restrict itself to that).

For any generalist grad scheme in various business roles, accountancy, actuarial roles, the media, the civil service, etc, etc, where you studied doesn't matter. Your relevant work experience and ability to do well in psychometric tests and assessment centre activities make much more difference - the degree (including where you got it from) is essentially just a tick box exercise otherwise.

It may indirectly make a difference if you're aiming for academia and planning to do your PhD etc, depending on exactly the field you're going into - this tends to be more that certain niche areas are less common outside of universities that end up being conventionally highly ranked. It's very field dependent though.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
There is no need to bump a post 39 minutes after making it - you shouldn't bump a post for 24 hours after making it and not more than every 12 hours thereafter, unless it is no longer on the front page of the forum you posted it in.

In any case it doesn't matter for working in "industry". The only situation where the uni you go to does directly matter is for investment banking and management consulting, and they don't care about ranking, they care whether your uni is one of their target unis or not (which often correlates with high ranking, but doesn't exclusively restrict itself to that).

For any generalist grad scheme in various business roles, accountancy, actuarial roles, the media, the civil service, etc, etc, where you studied doesn't matter. Your relevant work experience and ability to do well in psychometric tests and assessment centre activities make much more difference - the degree (including where you got it from) is essentially just a tick box exercise otherwise.

It may indirectly make a difference if you're aiming for academia and planning to do your PhD etc, depending on exactly the field you're going into - this tends to be more that certain niche areas are less common outside of universities that end up being conventionally highly ranked. It's very field dependent though.

huh really?

are you saying that my degree conands the same amount of prestige as a degree from , say UCL in economics and statistics?
Original post by Ewanlee
huh really?

are you saying that my degree conands the same amount of prestige as a degree from , say UCL in economics and statistics?

No, but 99% of employers don’t give a **** about your qualifications unless your applying for very certain fields. Experience is always, always the most important thing.
Reply 5
will my imperial masters compensate for my uni's relatively low ranking?
Original post by Ewanlee
huh really?

Most employers don't care about "prestige", what subject you studied, or where you studied. They care about what value for money they are getting out of you as a worker, and your work experience background (what relevant placements, internships, etc you've done) and how well you perform on their psychometric tests and assessment centre exercises tells them that more than where or what they studied. Except investment banking and management consulting, as noted, where they do care about "prestige" just because such is the nature of those areas.
Original post by Ewanlee
will my imperial masters compensate for my uni's relatively low ranking?

Doesn't really matter outside of investment banking and management consulting as I noted. Would probably be necessary if you are intending to pursue either of those, but even then you might be at a disadvantage. But as noted, for anything else, it's really not important in the UK for grad schemes.
Reply 8
Original post by artful_lounger
Doesn't really matter outside of investment banking and management consulting as I noted. Would probably be necessary if you are intending to pursue either of those, but even then you might be at a disadvantage. But as noted, for anything else, it's really not important in the UK for grad schemes.

because of my undergraduate?
After your first Job the University you went to almost doesn't matter, and ye someone who attended any top ranked University in London will obviously have better graduate job prospects as London is literally the worlds financial hub.
Original post by Ewanlee

What did you study?
Reply 11
Original post by 4doors4morehoes
After your first Job the University you went to almost doesn't matter, and ye someone who attended any top ranked University in London will obviously have better graduate job prospects as London is literally the worlds financial hub.

hence my question : will a master's from Imperial help me gain a foothold in London?
Reply 12

hence my question: will a master's from imperial help me gain a foothold in London?
Original post by Ewanlee

Because investment banking and management consulting firms specifically look at recruiting people from target unis. Imperial is a target uni, Heriot-Watt (Malaysia or otherwise) is not.

For anything else, it does not matter. If you just want to pursue a job in accountancy at a big 4 firm or something, it's really not important compared to actually doing well in the assessments and psychometric tests and having suitable internship experience along the way.
Reply 14
What did you study?

actuarial science .

and also , I took Maths physics Chem and further math for a levels

got 1A*3As

just quoting in case management / IBs care about these
Original post by Ewanlee
hence my question : will a master's from Imperial help me gain a foothold in London?

Probably but dont expect the wage increase to be significant lol
Reply 16
Probably but dont expect the wage increase to be significant lol

wdym by this?

I hear from others that masters from icl will allow me to earn at least 100k GBP per year?
Original post by Ewanlee
actuarial science .

and also , I took Maths physics Chem and further math for a levels

got 1A*3As

just quoting in case management / IBs care about these

IBs dont care about A Levels

You seem like a smart guy don't waste your life in IB consider something else
Original post by Ewanlee
wdym by this?

I hear from others that masters from icl will allow me to earn at least 100k GBP per year?

Who is saying that :skull:

Know someone who did a masters at London Business School but is only making £50k in consulting. If you want to do a masters go to America and thank me later
Reply 19
Who is saying that :skull:

Know someone who did a masters at London Business School but is only making £50k in consulting. If you want to do a masters go to America and thank me later

it's literally the 6th best uni in the world

it's still not enough to compensate for my undergraduate uni?
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending