The Student Room Group

Does uni ranking matter?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ewanlee
it's literally the 6th best uni in the world

it's still not enough to compensate for my undergraduate uni?

Jesus you've been brainwashed

The Undergrad uni doesn't even matter once you finish your masters I promise you your employers wont even look at it. Rankings do matter a lot for Masters but you're not guaranteed a 6 figure salary I don't even think Junior Analysts make anywhere near that in the UK.

If you want 6 figures attend a University in America or relocate to America once done with the Masters
Reply 21
Original post by 4doors4morehoes
Jesus you've been brainwashed

The Undergrad uni doesn't even matter once you finish your masters I promise you your employers wont even look at it. Rankings do matter a lot for Masters but you're not guaranteed a 6 figure salary I don't even think Junior Analysts make anywhere near that in the UK.

If you want 6 figures attend a University in America or relocate to America once done with the Masters

err I'm confused are you saying that my masters will compensate for my undergraduate

I mean that's literally the point I raised in the post and you say I'm being brainwashed sorry I can't comprehend what you mean
Original post by Ewanlee
err I'm confused are you saying that my masters will compensate for my undergraduate

I mean that's literally the point I raised in the post and you say I'm being brainwashed sorry I can't comprehend what you mean

You did actuarial science right? It depends on what jobs you want if you want finance job I dont think you can get a well paying one with actuarial science as your degree.

And yes your masters will compensate for your undergrad.
Original post by Ewanlee

Why are you asking students for advice?

if you want to know what matters to employers then ask the bloody employers directly.

the lack of common sense and initiative is more damaging to your career prospects than your university.
Original post by PQ
You’re a graduate taking careers advice on whether to study a (very expensive) masters degree from someone who hasn’t finished their A levels.

Hey, I might have not done my A Levels but I can tell you Ik more about the real world than some of these 40 year old guys
Reply 25
Original post by PQ
You’re a graduate taking careers advice on whether to study a (very expensive) masters degree from someone who hasn’t finished their A levels.

I didn't specifically direct my questions at such people

perhaps I posted in the wrong thread , for which I do request the moderator to move it into the right one where I can obtain advice on graduate career prospects , but that doesn't mean I am specifically asking students for advice

this is a forum , hence anyone can answer , I do hope that clears your doubts
(edited 1 year ago)
Hey, I might have not done my A Levels but I can tell you Ik more about the real world than some of these 40 year old guys

Post 23 in this thread you said actuarial science degrees aren’t likely to lead to well paying jobs :indiff:
Original post by Ewanlee
I didn't specifically direct my questions at such people

perhaps I posted in the wrong thread , in which I do request the moderator to move it into the right one where I can obtain advice on graduate careers , but that doesn't mean I am specifically asking students for advice

this is a forum , hence anyone can answer , I do hope that clears your doubts

Why not ask the employers that you want to work for?

instead of applying for masters degrees have you applied for any graduate jobs based in London?
Original post by PQ
Post 23 in this thread you said actuarial science degrees aren’t likely to lead to well paying jobs :indiff:

I said it wont lead to a high paying job in finance.
Reply 29

are you sure ? I have seen actuarial graduates being employed in banks as graduate analysts
Original post by Ewanlee
are you sure ? I have seen actuarial graduates being employed in banks as graduate analysts

Its definitely possible but obviously harder also let me guess those people attended a University which is targeted by financial institutes most likely based in London, Manchester or Nottingham
Reply 31
Its definitely possible but obviously harder also let me guess those people attended a University which is targeted by financial institutes most likely based in London, Manchester or Nottingham

I am basing my statement on some of my seniors graduate profiles

search LinkedIn if you want some examples and evidence
Original post by Ewanlee
I am basing my statement on some of my seniors graduate profiles

search LinkedIn if you want some examples and evidence

Okay good on them they've proven me wrong but remember those are outliers so when you go to London dont expect the same result keep that masters in consideration

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending