The Student Room Group

should i do driving lessons at 17

is it worth it?? i dont see the point tbh
Original post by mymelo

It depends on whether being able to drive will be useful to you at the moment. Both of my children had good reason to drive when they were in the Sixth form. One of my children found that it was a lot easier to get to rowing once he could drive there rather than catching a train. My other child could take herself to ballet in a nearby village. They both used my car and it meant that I didn't have to do so much taxiing.

The other thing to think about is that it is easier to fit lessons in when you are still living at home rather that when you have gone to university.
Yes. You will most likely need to drive eventually and it makes going places alot easier.

Original post by mymelo
Original post by AvfcWalpole7
Yes. You will most likely need to drive eventually and it makes going places alot easier.

Much depends on your circumstances including (a) the kind of job you're about to do or likely to do, (b) the local geography esp. relative to your home and workplace, (c) the availability of a parent to taxi you if they're either domestic or WFH so can wrap their work around your taxi times.

If you're in a WFH setup with a commute into London once a week or month, that doesn't really justify having/driving a car.

I don't get this thing about getting a licence being a sort of rite of passage, I really don't.
Reply 4
Just like a sport It’s a lot easier to learn at 17 than 30 and in real terms an hour of lessons willbe cheaper now than in ten years time .So less time to learn with a cheaper hourly rate plus probably more time available to learn now makes it sensible to take the plunge.Whether you use it afterwards is up to you but I advise doing it.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Justvisited
Much depends on your circumstances including (a) the kind of job you're about to do or likely to do, (b) the local geography esp. relative to your home and workplace, (c) the availability of a parent to taxi you if they're either domestic or WFH so can wrap their work around your taxi times.

If you're in a WFH setup with a commute into London once a week or month, that doesn't really justify having/driving a car.

I don't get this thing about getting a licence being a sort of rite of passage, I really don't.

sorry
Original post by Justvisited

If you were brought up or live in a big city like London used to reliable public transport you might not get it, but for a teen in a village or small town a car can be an entirely new lease of life and significantly improve your independence, especially for those not lucky enough to have the taxi of mum and dad. Also for a teen likely years away from any chance of owning a home, a car and space of their own is a huge first step,

(I grew up in a small town of 6k, busses started at 8am and finished by 10pm, so best of luck trying to commute to an early job or go for a night out without a car, without it you were doomed to working retail and hanging about a park. I grew up before internet and mobiles were common, so if you wanted to talk to your friends you had to go find them, so again a car massively opened social opportunities)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending