The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Physics interview at Manchester

Just wondering what sort of questions i will be asked is it more why you want to do the course or will they be testing you on things you have learnt in physics. Would like to hear from students who have had interviews at manchester for physics

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I haven't had an interview there, but everyone seems to say that they had little or no technical kinds of questions.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
They say in the leaflets they send out that they don't test your ability at all, and when I had my interview I didn't get asked any questions about the subject except why I wanted to study it. They shouldn't ask any physics questions.
Reply 3
I had one today (maths and physics), was easy peasy lemon squeezy.
Reply 4
I have one tomorrow for Physics and Management!!!
Reply 5
I shall be helping out at the open day tomorrow :smile:, well today now given what time it is lol

Anyway, physics interviews are pretty informal. Just a general chat about your physics interests/what you've been doing in physics and maths lately and maybe the odd physics or maths question here and there. Nothing to worry about and before the interview you get to chat to current students before and during lunch so you can ask us anything you like about manchester, the course or just uni in general :smile: The day isn't something to be afraid of. The point of the interview is to determine what offer you're going to get (most people will get AAA, and those who don't will get AAB), rather than to determine whether you're going to get an offer or not.
Reply 6
Mustang S.
They say in the leaflets they send out that they don't test your ability at all, and when I had my interview I didn't get asked any questions about the subject except why I wanted to study it. They shouldn't ask any physics questions.

I get a few physicsy questions in mine.
Reply 7
Finished! =D

Yep, I got quite a few questions in mine too. It wasn't too bad once I actually understood the question being asked...
Reply 8
My friend went yestarday and he told me it was ridiculously hard. The guy interviewing him just started off with loads of impossible technical questions.
Reply 9
taurus26
My friend went yestarday and he told me it was ridiculously hard. The guy interviewing him just started off with loads of impossible technical questions.

Hmm, the guy interviewing him wasn't Andrei Golov by any chance? I had him when I applied.
Reply 10
taurus26

Ahh its always fun when that happens :p: it seems sometimes that the interviewers dont always really know what to ask, I definitely got the impression that mine didn't anyway.
Reply 11
Frodz
Hmm, the guy interviewing him wasn't Andrei Golov by any chance? I had him when I applied.

Was he a big fat man?
Reply 12
-G-a-v-
Ahh its always fun when that happens :p: it seems sometimes that the interviewers dont always really know what to ask, I definitely got the impression that mine didn't anyway.

I had an engineering one, and I was asked about the make up of concrete and stuff like that for the whole interview. Not fun.
Reply 13
taurus26
Was he a big fat man?

Oh no, not him then.
i got an interview for the 12 of feb and cant wait to get down there!! if they do ask physics questions what sort will they ask, equations of motion? lol and how should i prep for the interview?
Reply 15
equinox3o0o
i got an interview for the 12 of feb and cant wait to get down there!! if they do ask physics questions what sort will they ask, equations of motion? lol and how should i prep for the interview?

I have one 2 days before for maths and physics; on the 10th. Ahh!
Reply 16
equinox3o0o

It's hard to say what sort of physics you'll get asked (if any - some do, some don't!) but it'll probably be vaguely related to something you've mentioned that you're interested in on your personal statement (although mine was only loosely connected to Astrophysics - was more historical than anything - not that youre expected to know stuff like that!) - you might also get asked to do a little bit of maths - nothing too strenuous though!

Fred (the admissions guy) will probably tell you all of this when you come up anyway, but the fact that you've been invited to interview means that you're in (conditionally, at least if you're still doing your A-levels), and the interview is there to determine the most appropriate offer (which will very probably be AAA, with a smattering of a few AABs floating about).

The day is pretty relaxed and informal for the most part (you'll be in Manchester for a few hours, only 30 minutes of that will be interview time!) - when you arrive you'll meet other applicants and current students (such as myself, I'll probably be there at some point - though I won't actually know for certain until the day before) - we're basically there so you can get an 'inside view' of what Manchester uni is like and what physics is like at uni etc. - so you can ask us the stuff you want to know that isnt in the prospectus or whatever - then after that Fred (the admissions tutor) does his bit, then you go off for tours and interviews and such.

There's no real need to prepare overly thoroughly - the interivew isnt meant to catch you out or be a test of any sort, when I came for inteview he referred to it as a 'friendly chat' - which may or may not involve you doing a bit of physics. Just enjoy the day.
Hi Im applying for maths and physics for 2012 entry and got a letter for an interview. I was wondering if anyone knew if everyone whom applied got one or just those who have a realistic chance of an offer. Also how much weight do they put on the interview, is it something to be worried about?
Reply 18
Original post by JAck_cordery
Hi Im applying for maths and physics for 2012 entry and got a letter for an interview. I was wondering if anyone knew if everyone whom applied got one or just those who have a realistic chance of an offer. Also how much weight do they put on the interview, is it something to be worried about?

I just received one of these today as well! Anyone know anything about the interview process and if its changed from previous years info posted above?
Original post by joshbros
I just received one of these today as well! Anyone know anything about the interview process and if its changed from previous years info posted above?

Oh nice whens your date, and what course you applied for?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending