The Student Room Group

UCAS considers scrapping personal statements for uni applications

Scroll to see replies

Is anyone here filling out that survey link UCAS sent? I'm not sure if I should. I don't even know if they'll read the responses, it just feels like token involvement of the masses.
Original post by sleep_supremacy
Is anyone here filling out that survey link UCAS sent? I'm not sure if I should. I don't even know if they'll read the responses, it just feels like token involvement of the masses.

Please do. They need to justify this change with evidence of a need.
Original post by Euapp
The thing about the PS at the moment ( apart from the fact that a lot aren’t personal) is that the character limit doesn’t allow a demonstration of good writing skills. It does however demonstrate which candidates are able to cut to the essential and provide an organised document( often with outside help). It also differentiates between those that have really researched and invested in their chosen subject and those that waffle to fill the space. But individual questionnaires could also do this whilst limiting third party intervention just because of logistical and time constraints.

I'd disagree with you there. 47 lines is limiting, but the aim isn't to write a thesis paper, but rather to explain essential information as clearly and concisely as possible (as you pointed out). Being able to do that is a really good writing skill! :smile: It's not easy to frame something so crisp, and a lot of people resort to filler for that reason.

But individual questionnaires could also do this whilst limiting third party intervention just because of logistical and time constraints- How? These questions are public knowledge, and I'm willing to bet that in a short while you'll have 'UCAS questionnaire-writing' services popping up left and right.
Original post by PQ
Please do. They need to justify this change with evidence of a need.

I'll fill it out then! :thumbsup: Hopefully it'll save you and Admit-One and all the other admissions officers a headache come next cycle :redface:
Reply 64
I'd disagree with you there. 47 lines is limiting, but the aim isn't to write a thesis paper, but rather to explain essential information as clearly and concisely as possible (as you pointed out). Being able to do that is a really good writing skill! :smile: It's not easy to frame something so crisp, and a lot of people resort to filler for that reason.

But individual questionnaires could also do this whilst limiting third party intervention just because of logistical and time constraints- How? These questions are public knowledge, and I'm willing to bet that in a short while you'll have 'UCAS questionnaire-writing' services popping up left and right.

If it’s done like the vet med questionnaires, they are sent out only after receipt of the UCAS application, and have to be completed in a short time frame, with no two candidates receiving them at the same time. You sign to say that it was your work and completed without help.Questions change from year to year, some are qcm some not. Yes people can cheat, and undoubtedly some do, but the proportion getting help with this is a lot lower than with the PS

Ok, just looked through the survey, and the questions don't give you any leeway. They're asking what extra questions you'd like to add to the new format, and don't give you the option to mention any changes to the original questions (at least from what I gathered). They don't give you any chance to comment on the reform itself, just to suggest tweaks to it :redface: That's not going to stop me, I'll still be filling it in, and others on this thread, please do so too! :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
For this, I'd rather stick to status quo of personal statement. The 4000 word count limit is good, and the free style helps differentiate applicants.

Although there should be an option of sending personal statement to every uni you apply for
Original post by justlearning1469
For this, I'd rather stick to status quo of personal statement. The 4000 word count limit is good, and the free style helps differentiate applicants.

Although there should be an option of sending personal statement to every uni you apply for

Same here, I'd rather stick with a PS. It caters to writing style much better than whatever this new format is. I'd rather there were separate PS's for unis too. It allows you to tailor your PS exactly to a particular uni's course structure and syllabus. If you haven't already, consider filling in the survey link UCAS has sent, which has this exact question :smile:
Original post by Euapp
It would result in a race to get noticed with applicants going further and further to make themselves different to the others. Those without access to decent equipment, or even a quiet place to film would be seriously disadvantaged.

It’s starting to sound a bit like love island but without the flirting
As an introvert, I relate :redface: I would hate to give my PS in video form, it's just so stressful to have a face recording! :cry:

Prsom
Ok so penguin asked me what I thought of scrapping the personal statements…

As a relatively older poster, I can remember the days when there were no personal statements. Instead the universities probably relied on predicted grades and teacher references to get interviews. Then, when you had passed that first hurdle, you had to go and visit the university for a face to face interview before you could receive an offer. Sometimes the choices were a bit political (it was said that Sheffield, my local uni did not like our private school and would reject us if we put it fifth ( yes we had to declare the order of preference in those days). Too late, I put Sheffield in fifth place and was rejected.

I couldn’t have been a strong enough candidate for first choice Durham so I was rejected pre interview. Birmingham also rejected me, so I was left with Manchester and Liverpool, both of which made offers.

Oxbridge had a tough interview system and also a pre interview test I think.

In a way, the old system may have favoured the private schools.

The personal statements are a bit too touchy freely for students who are not used to selling themselves. My children hesitated and did not know where to start. Elder son was in tears ( a rare occurrence, and the younger one was annoyed because he just wanted to write all about his academic views and not about empathy or being a doctor. We fell out ( the only time ever) and he had to do 9 drafts before I said it was good to go. He felt it was a naff tick boxing exercise but he actually is a very caring person and I didn’t think it showed off his true nature.

In a way, people who do not have a “critical friend will maybe fare worse than some schools who have contacts who can run an eye over their ps. However I think the personal statement is interesting because it shows what type of person you are. I need to really feel as if I am meeting someone. The nearest approximation I have is when someone submits an Oxford demystified chapter to me. They are so enthusiastic, they make me want to apply ( even when it’s something like physics)!

Those new sections may now be answered with word salad responses that do not feel warm or spontaneous. Yes, Oxbridge will keep their tricky admissions tests so they will be ok ( even though the personal statements were good to inspire the tutors to ask a couple of specific questions). However the other universities would then read the personal statements and then use this information to make offers without meeting the students. This will mean more stressful online interviews or in person interviews ( think of the expense for some of the candidates from less well off backgrounds).

No, the personal statements were not perfect, but it lets students from non traditional backgrounds shine. I was shocked to hear they were to be scrapped and I don’t agree with the new system.
@penguingirl18
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Oxford Mum
It’s starting to sound a bit like love island but without the flirting

I did not need that mental image :fisheye: What a nightmare that would be.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Reality Check
Since the nightmare that is the launch of ChatGPT, this might actually start to happen!

:afraid:

What is that?
Original post by penguingirl18
:afraid:

What is that?

It's a new AI text generator which is probably going to mark a turning point at how written work is assessed: this text generator can produce 'original' work in a fraction of a second in various formats (essay, verse, etc).

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/campus/chatgpt-and-rise-ai-writers-how-should-higher-education-respond
Getting rid of the personal statement is a good decision. So many students are coached through the personal statement writing process and end up writing impressive-sounding BS. Without interviews, there is no way of finding out which personal statements are genuine, and which are effectively the product of coaching. Using a set of questions instead is a slight improvement (less time wasted for everybody involved) but is associated with the same general issues as the personal statement.

I don't see why they don't just get rid of it entirely - no written answers, just grades and a reference. The most competitive courses will use admissions tests and/or interview(s) and/or a course-specific personal statement. But most courses are not massively over-subscribed so there really isn't any issue with just using grades.
Reply 75
Original post by Reality Check
It's a new AI text generator which is probably going to mark a turning point at how written work is assessed: this text generator can produce 'original' work in a fraction of a second in various formats (essay, verse, etc).

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/campus/chatgpt-and-rise-ai-writers-how-should-higher-education-respond

I hope that it doesn't mean the death of essays as a form of assessment, though I can see the problems this AI thing will cause.

On a personal level, I hope that it does not mean a lot more focus on exams. However, if this is the way things move forward, not a lot to be done about it ... so be it.

I read a recent BBC news article about a man who has supposedly invented a way of detecting AI type plagiarism (specific to this).
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Plagioclase
I don't see why they don't just get rid of it entirely - no written answers, just grades and a reference. The most competitive courses will use admissions tests and/or interview(s) and/or a course-specific personal statement. But most courses are not massively over-subscribed so there really isn't any issue with just using grades.

True - provided we eventually move to an admissions system based on achieved grades and test results rather than the hugely unreliable predicted grades. In the meantime, it makes little difference overall whether the format of the so-called personal statement is a precis or a questionnaire as both are open to abuse and equally pointless.
Reply 77
Talk about changing something just for change sake, have they nothing better to do?

If you are going to scrap the PS, just scrap them and rely 100% on actual exam results. Let the prestigious unis carry on direct interviews. Let the rest fire off the offers based on actual results.

Frankly, i am all for them scaping the PS, anything to simplify applications is a good thing but don't swop the PS for more of the same disguised as detailed answers in a Q&A format. Pointless.

If the objective is to simplify the application process, ditch predicted grades from teachers that favour certain candidates over others - level the field and submit all applications based on actual known results.
Original post by LsDad
Talk about changing something just for change sake, have they nothing better to do?

If you are going to scrap the PS, just scrap them and rely 100% on actual exam results. Let the prestigious unis carry on direct interviews. Let the rest fire off the offers based on actual results.

Frankly, i am all for them scaping the PS, anything to simplify applications is a good thing but don't swop the PS for more of the same disguised as detailed answers in a Q&A format. Pointless.

If the objective is to simplify the application process, ditch predicted grades from teachers that favour certain candidates over others - level the field and submit all applications based on actual known results.

Agreed or scrap PS and have standardised admissions tests (that all applicants must take) across unis instead.

Or bring back AS exams and have AS exams results=UCAS grades (add A* to AS exams as a result) and keep or scrap the PS in this context.
Tbh some university’s especially over in Northern Ireland don’t even read it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending