The Student Room Group

UCAS considers scrapping personal statements for uni applications

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ebyrne2036
Tbh some university’s especially over in Northern Ireland don’t even read it

Very few universities /subjects read a PS in any detail at the offer making stage. There’s a constant misunderstanding from applicants and teachers about how and when a PS is used. It’ll get a read before any interviews but the main critical use is in August when universities are making decisions on which applicants to accept with grades below their offer.
Original post by Plagioclase
Getting rid of the personal statement is a good decision. So many students are coached through the personal statement writing process and end up writing impressive-sounding BS. Without interviews, there is no way of finding out which personal statements are genuine, and which are effectively the product of coaching. Using a set of questions instead is a slight improvement (less time wasted for everybody involved) but is associated with the same general issues as the personal statement.

I don't see why they don't just get rid of it entirely - no written answers, just grades and a reference. The most competitive courses will use admissions tests and/or interview(s) and/or a course-specific personal statement. But most courses are not massively over-subscribed so there really isn't any issue with just using grades.

The new format still allows for 'impressive-sounding BS', except it has a better chance of sliding under the radar here because all the questions are isolated. I do agree that a lot of students get coaching for PS's, but I've actually seen some of those statements and they sound so bland and generic :sigh: It's pretty evident (to me, at least) what's real and what's filler. Coaching centers get paid in full no matter what, so they don't typically suggest a lot of revisions because it saves them time. Also, a lot of them don't even edit the PS themselves - they just make verbal suggestions to certain parts.

Given that you are supposed to write about your experiences in a PS (especially for supercurriculars - admissions doesn't want a summary of the event!), I think it would be noticeable to people whose job is literally discerning fact from fake. It's not always possible to interview every single candidate that applies to a uni because of time constraints. Also, writing favors those who are shy, have some form of speaking anxiety or even a speech impediment or disability. I'd personally hate to give a face-to-face interview, I'd throw up from the stress alone :cry:

Unis typically want holistic students who have engaged in a variety of experiences, which is why they don't use grades alone. But only using grades would make the admissions process very one-dimensional. Since today's curriculum tests memorization more than learning, by your logic, getting into uni just means being able to swot up stuff and regurgitate it on an exam. (Currently, the system is like that, but needing supercurriculars evens the playing field somewhat in my opinion since that doesn't rely on memorization and even 'smart' people would fail to absorb the impact of certain events. A PS doesn't need an A* to be good and literally anyone can write a good one with some time and effort.) An interview doesn't test for essay-related skills either, and writing concisely is a very important and widely-used skill no matter which profession you end up working in.

Also, I should point out that some unis do use grades alone and just give a cursory glance to the PS for non-oversubscribed courses.
Original post by PQ
Very few universities /subjects read a PS in any detail at the offer making stage. There’s a constant misunderstanding from applicants and teachers about how and when a PS is used. It’ll get a read before any interviews but the main critical use is in August when universities are making decisions on which applicants to accept with grades below their offer.

So you're telling me that for subjects that don't have interviews, they don't even read the PS? :colonhash:
Reply 83
Original post by sleep_supremacy
So you're telling me that for subjects that don't have interviews, they don't even read the PS? :colonhash:

A lot of unis write in their admissions statement that it’s only used as a last resort if they have to decide between candidates with identical ranking elsewhere.
Original post by Euapp
A lot of unis write in their admissions statement that it’s only used as a last resort if they have to decide between candidates with identical ranking elsewhere.

But for 'top' unis, loads of people would have A* in everything, so I assume that they would place more emphasis on a PS since everyone has high grades. Is that the case?
I think I'd have done worse with the questions, especially the one on learning styles. I applied for courses with a range of assessment and teaching styles, because there was no "perfect" course. For example, my current degree is a little heavy on the group assessments, but has very interesting modules. My insurance choice was basically all coursework (my dream) but wouldn't have covered some interesting topics. I'm glad my firm didn't reject me because I'd chosen them for a reason other than learning styles!

The question on preparedness is also rather uninspiring, especially for students whose A-levels are directly linked to their degree. Explaining to an admissions tutor that my language A-levels prepared me for a languages degree would feel rather ridiculous.

On the other hand, looking back, my PS was awful - I definitely overused the thesaurus in an attempt to sound clever! It got me 5 offers though, so it's clear nobody paid too much attention to it. If nobody's going to pay attention to the PS anyway, maybe an 'easier' option is worthwhile.
These questions sound good in theory but absolutely flop in practice. Admissions is going to drown in filler next year :redface:
(edited 1 year ago)
But for 'top' unis, loads of people would have A* in everything, so I assume that they would place more emphasis on a PS since everyone has high grades. Is that the case?

This is why admissions tests are needed in addition to A level grades. Take, for example, the LNAT for Law applicants or Oxford University's excellent subject specific aptitude tests. The latter could be standardised and used by other universities at their discretion. As things stand, many universities take personal statements with a pinch of salt or ignore them altogether.
Reply 88

For courses at top unis that aren’t too competitive it’s probably not necessary, whilst the competitive courses probably use other entry criteria, LNAT, BMAT, SAQ’s and SJT’s so that the PSis just anecdotal.
(edited 1 year ago)
Filled in the survey! :smile: @PQ

I was at an open day recently where they talked through the admissions process. They explicitly said that, for all courses, they read neither the personal statement nor the school reference, as they were worried about the risk of unfairness. (Due to the different levels of support available to some students in writing personal statements, and the fact that all schools writing glowing references for all their pupils.)

The only time they'd refer to either would be in borderline cases. Having said that, I don't recall whether they meant in the context of "near miss" candidates in August or at the offer stage too.

Quite how these documents can be unfair in general, but perfectly valid to use in borderline cases escapes me.
Reply 91
Original post by DataVenia
I was at an open day recently where they talked through the admissions process. They explicitly said that, for all courses, they read neither the personal statement nor the school reference, as they were worried about the risk of unfairness. (Due to the different levels of support available to some students in writing personal statements, and the fact that all schools writing glowing references for all their pupils.)

The only time they'd refer to either would be in borderline cases. Having said that, I don't recall whether they meant in the context of "near miss" candidates in August or at the offer stage too.

Quite how these documents can be unfair in general, but perfectly valid to use in borderline cases escapes me.

Good point - they aren't fair to use in August either.

Wow, they actually said that? :eek: There's a clear lack of information about the process internationally then :sigh: No one I know (across different schools and countries) is aware of this. I don't see how the PS suddenly becomes fair for borderline cases. I'd have used it for the opposite.
Original post by Cote1
Good point - they aren't fair to use in August either.

Then where are they used?

They’ll be read. For competitive courses without interviews or other additional information (tests portfolios etc) then they can be read very closely - and they can be ignored. It’s unlikely that all 5 choices would ignore it completely if applying for a competitive course/university.

Those courses that reject substantial numbers of applicants are in the minority.

For the majority of courses they will be skim read very quickly to make sure that the application is for the right course.

The situation where a university is likely to need to narrow down 10-20 applications to identify the best 1-5 is most likely to occur at confirmation in August. That’s when everything on an application will be looked at again including the PS.

Can you name the university?

It’s more likely that they are ignoring them due to laziness/lack of staff (and no substantial rejections) than fairness tbh
I’m not sure that I agree with the move, in all honesty.

Granted, personal statements are bloody hard to write, but they at least give the admissions teams a means of distinguishing between otherwise comparable candidates.

Unless the questions are along the lines of “write a paragraph about any extracurriculars activities you have taken part in” etc and effectively form a structure for a personal statement, I don’t see phasing out personal statements as a sensible move.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by PQ
They’ll be read. For competitive courses without interviews or other additional information (tests portfolios etc) then they can be read very closely - and they can be ignored. It’s unlikely that all 5 choices would ignore it completely if applying for a competitive course/university.

Those courses that reject substantial numbers of applicants are in the minority.

For the majority of courses they will be skim read very quickly to make sure that the application is for the right course.

The situation where a university is likely to need to narrow down 10-20 applications to identify the best 1-5 is most likely to occur at confirmation in August. That’s when everything on an application will be looked at again including the PS.

So for courses without any extra tests or interviews it's a 50/50 whether your PS gets read is what I'm hearing. At least it isn't completely discarded :redface: Also, why would they be reviewing it again in August? Isn't the deadline for making decisions in May?
Original post by PQ
Can you name the university?

It’s more likely that they are ignoring them due to laziness/lack of staff (and no substantial rejections) than fairness tbh

It was the University of Exeter. The session was called "Applying to Exeter", held at their 29 October 2022 open day. The presenter was Jo Hamilton, Head of Admissions.

I've tried to find a video (or at least the slide desk) as "evidence" that this is what was said, but haven't been able to find either. The best I've come up with is this from 2020 where slide 3 (entitled "Myth Buster") includes the text "Personal Statement use". That perhaps alludes to the fact that they're used in a way that applicants might not expect (hence "myth"), but I fully appreciate that it's hardly conclusive.

That you means you need to rely upon my memory of what was said, and the notes I made on the day. Those notes include this: "Personal Statement rarely used selectively". (The underlining is in my notes.)
(edited 1 year ago)
It was the University of Exeter. The session was called "Applying to Exeter", held at their 29 October 2022 open day. The presenter was Jo Hamilton, Head of Admissions.

I've tried to find a video (or at least the slide desk) as "evidence" that this is what was said, but haven't been able to find either. The best I've come up with is this from 2020 where slide 3 (entitled "Myth Buster") includes the text "Personal Statement use". That perhaps alludes to the fact that they're used in a way that applicants might not expect (hence "myth"), but I fully appreciate that it's hardly conclusive.

That you means you need to rely upon my memory of what was said, and the notes I made on the day. Those notes include this: "Personal Statement rarely used selectively". (The underlining is in my notes.)

That makes sense - they’re not very selective…pretty much anyone with the right subjects/qualifications gets an offer for most of their courses
8E346203-F306-43E1-92B5-E25311FFE2A9.jpeg

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending