The Student Room Group

Grammar school sixth forms

I'm in year 10 right now, and I want to aim to get into a grammar school sixth form after I basically failed my 11+ exam. All the ones near me use APS (average point score) with you GCSE results.

My brother has a friend who got rejected with four 9s and majority 8s , but his other friend got in with two 9s and majority 7/8s . What is the difference between these two people that the one with the lower APS got in? Is it extracurriculars, subject choice or just luck? I know luck sounds stupid but so many people say they basically pick names out of a hat because it's so random.

Any tips for getting into a grammar school sixth form? I think I can get the grades if I work hard enough, but I don't do any extracurriculars nor do I really have any hobbies, I'm pretty boring, so it doesn't really hall.me stand out much. Thanks for any advice :smile:
yh , my tutor said that people with 8s' have gotten rejected from grammer sixth forms,
Original post by B_____
I'm in year 10 right now, and I want to aim to get into a grammar school sixth form after I basically failed my 11+ exam. All the ones near me use APS (average point score) with you GCSE results.

My brother has a friend who got rejected with four 9s and majority 8s , but his other friend got in with two 9s and majority 7/8s . What is the difference between these two people that the one with the lower APS got in? Is it extracurriculars, subject choice or just luck? I know luck sounds stupid but so many people say they basically pick names out of a hat because it's so random.

Any tips for getting into a grammar school sixth form? I think I can get the grades if I work hard enough, but I don't do any extracurriculars nor do I really have any hobbies, I'm pretty boring, so it doesn't really hall.me stand out much. Thanks for any advice :smile:

You need to look at their over-subscription policy. That will explain how places are allocated - it may be that the subject choices had an influence in the case you mention.
Hey, all grammar schools ,as far as I know, care about are your grades (at least the ones I have applied to). I agree with the people above, it really depends how many people have applied. Schools usually have a minimum entry requirement but you would have to get well above that to be able to secure a place. Also maybe your brother got rejected because he was taking subjects that were over subscribed and his friend wasn’t so there was enough space?
Original post by B_____

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending