The Student Room Group

Is there evidence that taking a gap year is detrimental to one's future?

Or is it a correlation not causation scenario (people who are determined will have gone to uni as school leavers)

I'm academic but since 2018 I don't know why but I've been in a rut about the future as I'm super indecisive and there's too many choices. And I'm going to uni after 2/3 gap years when it should have been at most one.

I remember a sixth form teacher mocking gap year students and my parents weren't keen on my taking a gap year either so I'd like an unbiased opinion and facts if possible.
The past is in the past and cannot be changed. People go to university in life much later than you so you have nothing to worry about. Don't be too hard on yourself, just try your best to go with the flow and do what you think is best for you :smile:
welllll i hope its not bad cos i aM on a gappie rn. ig on your uni app write about the good stuff u did during the gap years such as working, extra courses, sports, travelling idk etc etc. in the end its up to u whether u can make ur gap year a highlight and something that makes u stand out from other uni applicants. im rooting for u!! i havent sent my ucas in yet, but its getting done today haha. good luck bro
Original post by Labradoodle1
The past is in the past and cannot be changed. People go to university in life much later than you so you have nothing to worry about. Don't be too hard on yourself, just try your best to go with the flow and do what you think is best for you :smile:

Thanks, that's what im hoping but im not there yet so I would like to know if the negative statements about gap years are true?
Original post by pasankalla
welllll i hope its not bad cos i aM on a gappie rn. ig on your uni app write about the good stuff u did during the gap years such as working, extra courses, sports, travelling idk etc etc. in the end its up to u whether u can make ur gap year a highlight and something that makes u stand out from other uni applicants. im rooting for u!! i havent sent my ucas in yet, but its getting done today haha. good luck bro

Thanks a lot my guy, gl to you too, Hope you get the uni you want
What have you done on your gap years?
Original post by ajj2000
What have you done on your gap years?

I have done things. But that's the not question I'm asking.
it doesn't matter if there is or isn't evidence. it'll work out fine because its what you needed
Original post by blabla2020202
I have done things. But that's the not question I'm asking.

Well - if I'm reviewing a CV for anyone I like to see what they have been doing. Thats in part because 'the child is the father of the man', and also I want a chance to spot if they might have had a health issue or been in prison.

So long as you can show what you have been doing (for example working in a warehouse or Starbucks) before deciding to study - no issue at all within reason.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending