The Student Room Group

University Accommodation After Declaring Studying at Home (UCAS Application)

Hi, my UCAS application just got sent out and I have reviewed that they're all correct, yay! However it just occurred to me that it's possible I may have to find student accommodation for September if I manage to get into a university.

Here's the fun part. I had written down that I'd be studying at home on my UCAS application - this is because a family member had originally offered to let me stay over but is still on the fence as I'd be living with them for 3 years+.

I'm in a bit of a situation where despite my UCAS application declaring I would be studying at home, therefor not requiring any sort of student loans, I may just have to take up a student loan if I get into any of the universities that are outside of my city. If I got into University of Edinburgh (very unlikely for a peanut brain like me) then I would have no need for a student loan.

As it stands, I will likely need to take out a student loan to cover accommodation costs, so I'll be taking this up with UCAS in the coming weeks/months just to let them know/if they have any further steps for me, as well as getting advice from my college tutor.

Has anyone been in this sort of 'limbo' position where it's unknown whether you will need to find accommodation and therefor need to take a student loan last second? If so, what did you do if you did get accepted into a university outside of your city?
Original post by bobby_star
Hi, my UCAS application just got sent out and I have reviewed that they're all correct, yay! However it just occurred to me that it's possible I may have to find student accommodation for September if I manage to get into a university.

Here's the fun part. I had written down that I'd be studying at home on my UCAS application - this is because a family member had originally offered to let me stay over but is still on the fence as I'd be living with them for 3 years+.

I'm in a bit of a situation where despite my UCAS application declaring I would be studying at home, therefor not requiring any sort of student loans, I may just have to take up a student loan if I get into any of the universities that are outside of my city. If I got into University of Edinburgh (very unlikely for a peanut brain like me) then I would have no need for a student loan.

As it stands, I will likely need to take out a student loan to cover accommodation costs, so I'll be taking this up with UCAS in the coming weeks/months just to let them know/if they have any further steps for me, as well as getting advice from my college tutor.

Has anyone been in this sort of 'limbo' position where it's unknown whether you will need to find accommodation and therefor need to take a student loan last second? If so, what did you do if you did get accepted into a university outside of your city?

The UCAS declaration is just indicative, you can still apply for accommodation regardless of which option you picked. Lots of people change their mind one way or the other.
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
The UCAS declaration is just indicative, you can still apply for accommodation regardless of which option you picked. Lots of people change their mind one way or the other.

Thanks, yeah I'm in the boat that I will opt for student accommodation later in the year as it would not only be a chance to live independently but also for the social experience too.
Original post by bobby_star
Thanks, yeah I'm in the boat that I will opt for student accommodation later in the year as it would not only be a chance to live independently but also for the social experience too.

You're definitely not alone in that thinking :smile:

Just keep an eye on the accommodation pages of your choices, they should confirm the process and relevant dates.
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
You're definitely not alone in that thinking :smile:

Just keep an eye on the accommodation pages of your choices, they should confirm the process and relevant dates.

Yeah, I've already taken a look at Student Roost and Amber Student to see what's available. Made a Google spreadsheet of everything that could be nice for me as well in addition to weekly rates and such too!

Presumably, loan will be done through SAAS too, correct? Application to accommodation pages won't have any relation to SAAS in that once/if I get a SAAS student loan, that loan is for whatever I want to use it for? In this case, it would be used to pay for accommodation.
Hi,
Are you requesting for a student accommodation in University of Hull.
Reply 6
Original post by Oyeleke22
Hi,
Are you requesting for a student accommodation in University of Hull.

No, I'm asking about accommodation in Aberdeen. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending