The Student Room Group

I smell really bad

I have this for over a year now and I have tried all the deodorants and clinical anti-perspirants. I have also taken all the hygienic measures as I have searched this up so many times.I always have a stuffy smell coming from my armpits 24/7. The kind that makes u itch and sniff your nose.And when I wear deodorant, it kind of mixes with the smell and make it even worse. I shower 2x a day and have taken ALL hygienic measures. I use driclor every night but it still doesn’t change anything. I developed OCD/Anxiety during lockdown so I am pretty sure this is anxiety sweats. But after I used driclor, there’s barely any sweat but there is still the smell. Multiple people point it out to me or talk behind my back about everyday. This makes it impossible for me to go on the bus now. My parents don’t believe me and say it’s in my head even though I know they have noticed it nearly everyday. I’ve heard people talking to them about this issue. But they don’t want me worrying or something and they find it hard to believe that there is still a smell after taking all hygienic measures… They don’t want me missing school because of this so they just say there’s no problem just go to school. This has really pushed my grades down and I barely focus in school anymore. This has ruined my life and I try to avoid people as much as I can. I have called the GP multiple times but they have just prescribed me driclor and I feel bad persisting with it as my GP is very crowded and there are more people with seemingly more important issues. But I have gotten a in person appointment next week. Also I don’t even have anxiety that much but the smell is still there. If u have any solution l or suggestions please reply
Original post by Anonymous
I have this for over a year now and I have tried all the deodorants and clinical anti-perspirants. I have also taken all the hygienic measures as I have searched this up so many times.I always have a stuffy smell coming from my armpits 24/7. The kind that makes u itch and sniff your nose.And when I wear deodorant, it kind of mixes with the smell and make it even worse. I shower 2x a day and have taken ALL hygienic measures. I use driclor every night but it still doesn’t change anything. I developed OCD/Anxiety during lockdown so I am pretty sure this is anxiety sweats. But after I used driclor, there’s barely any sweat but there is still the smell. Multiple people point it out to me or talk behind my back about everyday. This makes it impossible for me to go on the bus now. My parents don’t believe me and say it’s in my head even though I know they have noticed it nearly everyday. I’ve heard people talking to them about this issue. But they don’t want me worrying or something and they find it hard to believe that there is still a smell after taking all hygienic measures… They don’t want me missing school because of this so they just say there’s no problem just go to school. This has really pushed my grades down and I barely focus in school anymore. This has ruined my life and I try to avoid people as much as I can. I have called the GP multiple times but they have just prescribed me driclor and I feel bad persisting with it as my GP is very crowded and there are more people with seemingly more important issues. But I have gotten a in person appointment next week. Also I don’t even have anxiety that much but the smell is still there. If u have any solution l or suggestions please reply

Have you considered seeing a dermatologist? It's a bit extreme to go to see them for something like this, but if it's affecting your self esteem, I suppose it's possibly an acceptable (I think).

The other thing is to try to sort out your OCD/anxiety whilst you are still young. If you need counselling, seek counselling. The longer you leave these issues, the more it will bite back later in life.
I can only wear cotton shirts etc and any hint of man made fibres seems to exacerbate the "armpit" whiff.
I noticed it recently when I bought a padded shirt from amazon and it tends to make me aware of a smell.

Obviously, hygiene with hot water and soap normally works, there is a medical soap/cleanser thetas more antibacterial than other household soaps, plus a clean shirt every day.

on the odd occasion that I became aware of a smell I got a bottle of surgical spirits and used a soaked tissue to wipe my pits with alcohol. - even meths! Your age might make it hard to buy?
what about getting some surgical wipe sachets?
Like the kind of wipes KFC used to hand out but with an alcohol element
Take the above advice with caution as I have no medical training
Original post by domonict
I can only wear cotton shirts etc and any hint of man made fibres seems to exacerbate the "armpit" whiff.
I noticed it recently when I bought a padded shirt from amazon and it tends to make me aware of a smell.

Obviously, hygiene with hot water and soap normally works, there is a medical soap/cleanser thetas more antibacterial than other household soaps, plus a clean shirt every day.

on the odd occasion that I became aware of a smell I got a bottle of surgical spirits and used a soaked tissue to wipe my pits with alcohol. - even meths! Your age might make it hard to buy?
what about getting some surgical wipe sachets?
Like the kind of wipes KFC used to hand out but with an alcohol element
Take the above advice with caution as I have no medical training

Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll look into it
Original post by Anonymous
Have you considered seeing a dermatologist? It's a bit extreme to go to see them for something like this, but if it's affecting your self esteem, I suppose it's possibly an acceptable (I think).

The other thing is to try to sort out your OCD/anxiety whilst you are still young. If you need counselling, seek counselling. The longer you leave these issues, the more it will bite back later in life.

Thanks, Yh I’m getting counselling right now and my GP says she might recommend me to a paediatrician so idk.
I think you need to take bath daily and wear clean clothes if you can do it regularly then might not have smell bad ..
https://www.lush.com/uk/en/p/t-for-toes-foot-powder

This stuff is designed for feet but it works anywhere that gets smelly. I use it with anti perspirant and it’s great. Totally cuts through any BO smells and gives off a fresh smell instead.
It’s not extreme to see a dermatologist for something like this at all. They sound like they’ve got bromhidrosis.
Original post by Ashleighjade05
It’s not extreme to see a dermatologist for something like this at all. They sound like they’ve got bromhidrosis.

Yup, agreed

Quick Reply

Latest