The Student Room Group

Should I get a new driving instructor?

So I have this driving instructor who is really friendly and I get along with him well, but I don't know if I should find a new instructor based on his professionalism. So he's got a nice personality and a new car with all the latest technology which would make it easier to pass my test and we get along really well and joke a lot, but professionalism wise, he almost never replies to my messages whenever I ask him when my next lesson is and I have to keep chasing him up, and he always lets me know last minute whenever he's booked me in for a lesson, so I might not even be free on that day because he's giving me such short notice. Then, he's often on his phone when I'm driving and one time I had a morning lesson with him and he was huffing and puffing about how tired he is and how I'm being inconsiderate requesting a morning lesson when he has had a whole evening of lessons the day before so he wanted a bit of a break. He also asked me to drive past red lights (just as they were turning red, so he should've told me to stop) so that he could get McDonald's breakfast on time as they were about to stop selling it within like 10 minutes...then he took me to an empty parking lot and I thought we was going to practice doing some manoeuvres but instead he told me to park there so he could eat his breakfast and call his girlfriend on the phone and they started talking about love island. I had an evening lesson with him around 3 days ago, and he asked me to pull up outside a kebab shop and then he went inside to order food and I had to wait 20 minutes for him. I'm confused...is it normal for a driving instructor to behave like this? Should I look for a new one? He's really nice but I have doubts about his professionalism. He is my first driving instructor so I have nobody to compare him too.
Reply 1
Original post by xAnbesix
So I have this driving instructor who is really friendly and I get along with him well, but I don't know if I should find a new instructor based on his professionalism. So he's got a nice personality and a new car with all the latest technology which would make it easier to pass my test and we get along really well and joke a lot, but professionalism wise, he almost never replies to my messages whenever I ask him when my next lesson is and I have to keep chasing him up, and he always lets me know last minute whenever he's booked me in for a lesson, so I might not even be free on that day because he's giving me such short notice. Then, he's often on his phone when I'm driving and one time I had a morning lesson with him and he was huffing and puffing about how tired he is and how I'm being inconsiderate requesting a morning lesson when he has had a whole evening of lessons the day before so he wanted a bit of a break. He also asked me to drive past red lights (just as they were turning red, so he should've told me to stop) so that he could get McDonald's breakfast on time as they were about to stop selling it within like 10 minutes...then he took me to an empty parking lot and I thought we was going to practice doing some manoeuvres but instead he told me to park there so he could eat his breakfast and call his girlfriend on the phone and they started talking about love island. I had an evening lesson with him around 3 days ago, and he asked me to pull up outside a kebab shop and then he went inside to order food and I had to wait 20 minutes for him. I'm confused...is it normal for a driving instructor to behave like this? Should I look for a new one? He's really nice but I have doubts about his professionalism. He is my first driving instructor so I have nobody to compare him too.

Yeahh if i was you i would get another instructor, especially as driving lessons arent cheap
Get a new instructor asap
Not normal to take time out of your lessons for errands, or to take any calls whilst supervising you, (and not allowed either).

Get a new instructor.
Yeah that's unprofessional as hell and taking advantage of you.
Too many people stay with poor quality instructors because 'they get on with them' or 'the have a laugh.' This guy is a cowboy, and if he really is using his phone while you're driving he is breaking the law and should be reported. The DVSA could remove him from the ADI register if he is prosecuted - https://www.gov.uk/complain-about-a-driving-instructor

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending