The Student Room Group

What's your favourite revision method?

Poll

What's your favourite revision method?

We just finished the festive break, but if you're in Year 11 or 13, you're probably thinking about your exams coming in a few months.

Revision is such a personal thing, and everyone has their own style that suits them. When I was at school I was legit convinced sleeping with my textbooks under my pillow would help me remember style (spoiler: it doesn't). But turned out note-taking was my vibe.

What's your revision method of choice?

Do you find something works better than other tools, or do you like a combo? Do you find you change how you revise as you get closer to exams?

Is there a revision tool you wish existed but you haven't found anywhere yet?

Scroll to see replies

I like using flashcards and also mind maps. But I really should use practise papers as I heard they help so much.
favourite? reading through notes/watching videos
most effective methods definitely aren't my favourite as they require effort! :lol:
Original post by BlinkyBill
We just finished the festive break, but if you're in Year 11 or 13, you're probably thinking about your exams coming in a few months.

Revision is such a personal thing, and everyone has their own style that suits them. When I was at school I was legit convinced sleeping with my textbooks under my pillow would help me remember style (spoiler: it doesn't). But turned out note-taking was my vibe.

What's your revision method of choice?

Do you find something works better than other tools, or do you like a combo? Do you find you change how you revise as you get closer to exams?

Is there a revision tool you wish existed but you haven't found anywhere yet?

I would usually write the key components off a lecture for example formulas, definitions and then read it out loud like 10-20 times until the information is processed into my head I would then revise other content and go back to that specific formula or definition testing myself to see if I remember and if I don’t I would go over it, over and over again until I can recall and know that it is perfect or close to remembering as much of it as possible.
Original post by iL1L
I like using flashcards and also mind maps. But I really should use practise papers as I heard they help so much.

I like flashcards too - I love making them look pretty :biggrin: Yeah practice papers aren't the most fun in the world but are really helpful to get an idea of how to respond to exam questions :smile: Give them a go!

Original post by Obolinda
favourite? reading through notes/watching videos
most effective methods definitely aren't my favourite as they require effort! :lol:

:lol: I know what you mean! Do you have a favourite revision website or tool that you use?

Original post by Mohammed_80
I would usually write the key components off a lecture for example formulas, definitions and then read it out loud like 10-20 times until the information is processed into my head I would then revise other content and go back to that specific formula or definition testing myself to see if I remember and if I don’t I would go over it, over and over again until I can recall and know that it is perfect or close to remembering as much of it as possible.

Speaking aloud to yourself is definitely underrated - I find it so useful to help remember bits of information that just won't go in otherwise! Glad you've found a method that works for you :smile:
Original post by StrawberryDreams
I like flashcards too - I love making them look pretty :biggrin: Yeah practice papers aren't the most fun in the world but are really helpful to get an idea of how to respond to exam questions :smile: Give them a go!

:lol: I know what you mean! Do you have a favourite revision website or tool that you use?

Speaking aloud to yourself is definitely underrated - I find it so useful to help remember bits of information that just won't go in otherwise! Glad you've found a method that works for you :smile:

Thank you very much :biggrin: it’s helping me get my 2:1s before I graduate so clearly it’s working :rolleyes:. And I’m glad my method is helpful to you :smile:. Most definitely probably the best piece of method to be honest :biggrin:.
Don't practice papers take so much time to do?

The printing, doing it under x hours and the self-marking....
Of course I used past papers to see what I have got by learning and how good my knowledge is. I also used flash cards for the explanation of terms (and vocabularies in foreign languages), but there is one method students hardly try, but helped a lot (me at least did):

reading and explain the things in your own words in a monologue in front of a mirror. Or better: in a dialogue in front of a person you have to explain.
I think that I prefer to use past papers for revision, but probably also taking notes manually sometime writing the steps involved for tasks and key things over and over a few times a day to try and get it memorised
Original post by iL1L

Practise or past papers are the best to test your knowledge you got by learning. And people, who are in exam phase, should draw on these papers now and then to get prepared.
(edited 1 year ago)
I learn the most through my initial taking manual notes when I'm doing the subject, I make sure I understand everything fully and I don't just blindly copy things down. I don't consider that revision though as I'm not revisiting topics, just doing them the first time. For actual revision I've tried all sorts, it depends on the subject, I hate flashcards as too many accumulate then I never want to go through them. I've started making summary tables which I can look through, means I don't get caught up trying to memorise tiny details, and I can either fill them in typing in a blank table or on a whiteboard to test myself on memorising it. My course doesn't have past papers etc so it's a bit hard. Drawing anatomy also helps.
Original post by McDonaldsEmploy
Don't practice papers take so much time to do?

The printing, doing it under x hours and the self-marking....

You are right, a good revision does not contain practice and past papers only. It is the mix that makes it effective. Sometimes it is good to test yourself before it really matters in an exam.
Handwritten notes for me. For some reason, flashcards don't really work on me :redface: I first take notes really fast because teachers rush, later I'll neaten them, add colors and diagrams, and I'll learn what I've written then.
Thankfully, I don't need to revise these days, and I hope I never will have to again. That being said, I used mindmaps and would repeat them with less and less detail each time, so that by the end I would just use one word for each point (or a name, for Sociology). Sometimes I'd turn them into flashcards but it was the act of writing them which helped me learn, not flipping them. They were only used RIGHT before the exam. :yep:
Original post by parmezanne
Thankfully, I don't need to revise these days, and I hope I never will have to again.

Lucky!!
Original post by parmezanne
Thankfully, I don't need to revise these days, and I hope I never will have to again. That being said, I used mindmaps and would repeat them with less and less detail each time, so that by the end I would just use one word for each point (or a name, for Sociology). Sometimes I'd turn them into flashcards but it was the act of writing them which helped me learn, not flipping them. They were only used RIGHT before the exam. :yep:

So you have finished your study and start into job life? good luck then!

Mindmaps are useful to show and see connections, good for lessons with complex details.
Original post by Kallisto
So you have finished your study and start into job life? good luck then!

Mindmaps are useful to show and see connections, good for lessons with complex details.

I will be this year! All my uni exams are 7-day onliners now. No more in-person exams for me unless it's something exceptional like a safeguard test at work or something that might crop up. :yep:
Original post by sleep_supremacy
Handwritten notes for me. For some reason, flashcards don't really work on me :redface: I first take notes really fast because teachers rush, later I'll neaten them, add colors and diagrams, and I'll learn what I've written then.

I absolutely agree, i use cornell notes to make notes from revision guides then revise from these
Original post by Mohammed_80

Yes! I used to do something similar! Mind you, it was mostly for presentations I had to give (common as assessment where I went to school) - I'm not sure how easy I'd find it to memories formula, that's very cool. Sometimes we also had 'seen' essay questions, so they gave you the question, you went home and wrote an essay, then basically had to memorise and reproduce it in exam conditions. So weird, but the memorising helped.
I never revised. Did ok. Never liked being forced to revise. Just paid attention in class. I turned out all right.

Though if you're gonna be a doctor or something, don't take my approach lmao. Better revise that sh**
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending