The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

it makes more sense as to why an autistic guy is more likely to struggle to get a girlfriend than an autistic girl is to get a boyfriend
Original post by StriderHort
See in my youth it was just called 'liking crazy bad boys' and people didn't think as much about it.

What do you think autism is? lack of empathy?
Original post by Anonymous
What do you think autism is? lack of empathy?

I think autism is autism, I wouldn't try to describe it as a single behaviour. But when I was a kid (80s) the term was not widely used.

Why do you ask?
(Didn't mean to be anon)
I know of a guy with autism, he's old now, had family still with his wife. He had to have some counselling to help him with a few communication issues but other than that I don't think most people would pick up on his autism now.

However, I'm pretty sure the guy would be defined as a 'highly functioning' autistic person. He has superb Maths skills which he used to become a top IT programmer. As a top IT guy he ended up earning a fortune and became a millionaire. He of course net his wife after he became a millionaire :wink:

So if your autism creates a great skill in something particularly if great rewards such as money come of it then what may be seen as a negative (autism) by women may be overlooked as they see the positive (a guy who can provide well).

I'm not going to lie to you though if their is no great upside like the guy I described above then yes you're likely to find it harder, possibly not impossible but potentially near impossible depending on your specific situation and the girls you meet.
Original post by Katerina S.
I know of a guy with autism, he's old now, had family still with his wife. He had to have some counselling to help him with a few communication issues but other than that I don't think most people would pick up on his autism now.

However, I'm pretty sure the guy would be defined as a 'highly functioning' autistic person. He has superb Maths skills which he used to become a top IT programmer. As a top IT guy he ended up earning a fortune and became a millionaire. He of course net his wife after he became a millionaire :wink:

So if your autism creates a great skill in something particularly if great rewards such as money come of it then what may be seen as a negative (autism) by women may be overlooked as they see the positive (a guy who can provide well).

I'm not going to lie to you though if their is no great upside like the guy I described above then yes you're likely to find it harder, possibly not impossible but potentially near impossible depending on your specific situation and the girls you meet.

how long has he been with his wife
Original post by H8Courtship217
how long has he been with his wife

Think around 20 years, he didn't meet or get married until his mid forties but had gf's before then. A lot comes down to whether a guy has something good going for him, autism or not. He had something going for him, his autism was a lesser issue.

I don't know about OP what he is good at if anything or how bad his autism is. If we're talking a guy with autism but with no obvious talent that would come in big then he could likely struggle. There are always those women with similar problems but I would say that guys probably are more accepting of women with autism issues than women are accepting of guys with autism issues, just how it tends to be.
Original post by Katerina S.
Think around 20 years, he didn't meet or get married until his mid forties but had gf's before then. A lot comes down to whether a guy has something good going for him, autism or not. He had something going for him, his autism was a lesser issue.

I don't know about OP what he is good at if anything or how bad his autism is. If we're talking a guy with autism but with no obvious talent that would come in big then he could likely struggle. There are always those women with similar problems but I would say that guys probably are more accepting of women with autism issues than women are accepting of guys with autism issues, just how it tends to be.

what did he have good going for him? because a lot of autistic guys end up reaching 30+ years of age without ever having had a girlfriend before
Reply 28
Original post by Anonymous #1
Do good girls go for autistic guys or not?

I’m autistic and if someone views me being autistic as a reason not to date me then they don’t deserve to date me. That’s logic I would encourage all my fellow autistics to use as well.
Reply 29
Original post by StriderHort
You mean do they go for ill people first? :confused:

I’m not sure you know what autism is. It’s not an illness. That is actually quite ableist. I’m sure you didn’t mean it to sound that way but I’d just be careful.

Latest

Trending

Trending