The Student Room Group

Please helo me pick my A-levels. Safe with 3, or risk 4?

Hello! I am foreign student seeking varied opinions. I have only recently moved here (few months) to the UK and need to plan for the next chapter of my life. Very exciting, but also overwhelming as I lived in a very different third world country.

I was hoping to enter a lawful or political position in general terms, but after much thinking I've set my sights on becoming a lawyer and studying Law with Criminology at a university level.

Under that thought, I've planned out the current A-levels for the next school year:

English Lit.
Criminology
Government & Politics
History

Now, from what I've understood these are all very heavy/intense topics, full of presenting, writing, reading, etc. I love all of that, and think I have the work ethic to survive, but I'm worried I might not have enough time in my day to day, or atleast, I won't be able to schedule it as such even though I like these subjects so much because I have a load of household responsibilities.

The university I plan towards only needs AAA or AAB (with grade B English Language GCSE, not important as I feel secure there) so I worry it might be a futile extra subject, but I feel it would put me at an advantage or make me stand out further against my fellow classmates.

On the other hand, I ask myself what would I even drop? Criminology seems important for the specific branch I want to enter, English Lit. is a very versatile subject that will aid me greatly, I REALLY want History as general knowledge and some sites recommend it in their optimized a level spreads for law degrees, and Government & Politics I suppose would aid me the least, but remains as my way out if I decide to enter a different sector of professions (also remains as the only gateway into political history I'm really aware of, as I am mostly uninformed there and it seems too daunting a task to begin on my own).

What are your thoughts?
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NotEthan
Hello! I am foreign student seeking varied opinions. I have only recently moved here (few months) and need to plan for the next chapter of my life. Very exciting, but also overwhelming as I lived in a very different third world country.

I was hoping to enter a lawful or political position in general terms, but after much thinking I've set my sights on becoming a lawyer and studying Law with Criminology at a university level.

Under that thought, I've planned out the current A-levels for the next school year:

English Lit.
Criminology
Government & Politics
History

Now, from what I've understood these are all very heavy/intense topics, full of presenting, writing, reading, etc. I love all of that, and think I have the work ethic to survive, but I'm worried I might not have enough time in my day to day, or atleast, I won't be able to schedule it as such even though I like these subjects so much because I have a load of household responsibilities.

The university I plan towards only needs AAA or AAB (with grade B English Language GCSE, not important as I feel secure there) so I worry it might be a futile extra subject, but I feel it would put me at an advantage or make me stand out further against my fellow classmates.

On the other hand, I ask myself what would I even drop? Criminology seems important for the specific branch I want to enter, English Lit. is a very versatile subject that will aid me greatly, I REALLY want History as general knowledge and some sites recommend it in their optimized a level spreads for law degrees, and Government & Politics I suppose would aid me the least, but remains as my way out if I decide to enter a different sector of professions (also remains as the only gateway into political history I'm really aware of, as I am mostly uninformed there and it seems too daunting a task to begin on my own).

What are your thoughts?

Criminology is not a 'proper' A level - it's not a good idea to take more than 3.
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
Criminology is not a 'proper' A level - it's not a good idea to take more than 3.

I've not seen many people talk about criminology a level, good or bad - what tips it off towards not being 'proper' exactly?
(edited 1 year ago)
I've not seen many people talk about criminology a level, good or bad - what tips it off towards not being 'proper' exactly?

I think you could read around Criminology in your own time and gain all you need without commiting to the extra A level.

It's an A level equivalent and not accepted by all unis. https://www.wjec.co.uk/qualifications/criminology-level-3/#tab_keydocuments
Reply 5
Concentrate on 3 Solid traditional subjects for your A'Levels. Doing 4 will not give you ANY advantage. Universities will only consider your 3 best. Criminology is the weakest link in the subjects you've chosen so i'd drop that. On the other hand, you could have Criminology as your '3rd', a light subject that you can devote more time to say Literature and History so drop Politics instead.

People have had to earn and work hard for any A-Level. It is disgusting to say that it is not a proper A-Level.
Original post by propergoodman
People have had to earn and work hard for any A-Level. It is disgusting to say that it is not a proper A-Level.

It's an A level equivalent not accepted by some universities - so it's not a good choice.
Hello! I am foreign student seeking varied opinions. I have only recently moved here (few months) to the UK and need to plan for the next chapter of my life. Very exciting, but also overwhelming as I lived in a very different third world country.

English Lit.
Criminology
Government & Politics
History

What are your thoughts?

4 A levels will confer no advantage if you're going to be applying for law at university. 3 is what is required.

The best choice here would be history, g&p and English - these are excellent choices for law. You would also need to be sure you fulfil any other GCSE requirements set by the university, for instance having maths at grade 4/5 GCSE.
It's an A level equivalent not accepted by some universities - so it's not a good choice.

In your opinion.
Reply 10
In your opinion.

I am interested in hearing your opinion. If criminology is seen as an A-level equivalent and isn't accepted by all unis, wouldn't the thought that it's the weakest link/not exactly proper to the standard fit?
In your opinion.

No, it's a fact ... lots of posts on here about it. Can you prove the opposite?
Reply 12
I...really said that I was confident in my GCSEs for English and then proceeded to misspell 'help', huh
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Reality Check
4 A levels will confer no advantage if you're going to be applying for law at university. 3 is what is required.

The best choice here would be history, g&p and English - these are excellent choices for law. You would also need to be sure you fulfil any other GCSE requirements set by the university, for instance having maths at grade 4/5 GCSE.

Yeah, that appears to be the general consensus I'm picking up from what's been said thus far. Thank you (and several others) for the input, helping me not make a big mistake.
Yeah, that appears to be the general consensus I'm picking up from what's been said thus far. Thank you (and several others) for the input, helping me not make a big mistake.

You're welcome - glad we could help :smile:

English Lit.
Criminology
Government & Politics
History

What are your thoughts?

Do you not have an option to study A-level Law? It's not essential for a law degree, but it will give you a vague idea if you actually like it. I've not heard of Criminology A-level, to be honest.

If you study traditional A-levels - preferably a mix of humanities and science - then that will always stand you in good stead for the higher-ranked universities. Admissions tutors and those who design the departmental webpages are obliged to say certain things - basically for PR reasons. But (coming from someone who used to recruit students to courses) it's an unspoken rule that there are certain 'hard' A-levels out there and if you do well in them then you are academically the most able.

My advice is choose the most traditional subjects and work and work and work and work and work. Don't just aim to 'get the grade'; aim to become more knowledgeable in your subjects beyond the norm so that you can impress at any university interviews. Having this mindset is good preparation for university level. Law is a tough degree and there is fierce competition for places, and then even more fierce competition for training contracts after graduation. Being able to stand out as a strong thinker rather than purely a qualifications machine will serve you well.

Your literacy skills tell me you are a very able student. You'll make it.
Reply 16
Original post by NJBSaidit
Do you not have an option to study A-level Law? It's not essential for a law degree, but it will give you a vague idea if you actually like it. I've not heard of Criminology A-level, to be honest.

If you study traditional A-levels - preferably a mix of humanities and science - then that will always stand you in good stead for the higher-ranked universities. Admissions tutors and those who design the departmental webpages are obliged to say certain things - basically for PR reasons. But (coming from someone who used to recruit students to courses) it's an unspoken rule that there are certain 'hard' A-levels out there and if you do well in them then you are academically the most able.

My advice is choose the most traditional subjects and work and work and work and work and work. Don't just aim to 'get the grade'; aim to become more knowledgeable in your subjects beyond the norm so that you can impress at any university interviews. Having this mindset is good preparation for university level. Law is a tough degree and there is fierce competition for places, and then even more fierce competition for training contracts after graduation. Being able to stand out as a strong thinker rather than purely a qualifications machine will serve you well.

Your literacy skills tell me you are a very able student. You'll make it.

I do have the option to study law at a-levels if I'd like to, but from what I read it's a mixed bag. Some say it helped them, some say it didn't(or didn't really portray law correctly), and others say it's looked down upon as far as A-levels go.

I considered picking it up nonetheless, but overall decided to cross it out. If circumstances somehow change and I don't like law from a job perspective anymore, my current a-levels choices have a wider array of other careers fall under them and thus makes sure my efforts don't go to waste.

Though, I am curious, how do you suppose picking up a science A-level would help me get a law degree? I could see math, economics, etc, but not the sciences. Wouldn't it better to hone in on humanities with my current spread?

And to add onto that, what would you switch out if you were in my position? Currently, my mind is set on: Government & Politics, History, English Lit.

Much thanks for the advice!
(edited 1 year ago)
I do have the option to study law at a-levels if I'd like to, but from what I read it's a mixed bag. Some say it helped them, some say it didn't(or didn't really portray law correctly), and others say it's looked down upon as far as A-levels go.

I considered picking it up nonetheless, but overall decided to cross it out. If circumstances somehow change and I don't like law from a job perspective anymore, my current a-levels choices have a wider array of other careers fall under them and thus makes sure my efforts don't go to waste.

Though, I am curious, how do you suppose picking up a science A-level would help me get a law degree? I could see math, economics, etc, but not the sciences. Wouldn't it better to hone in on humanities with my current spread?

And to add onto that, what would you switch out if you were in my position? Currently, my mind is set on: Government & Politics, History, English Lit.

Much thanks for the advice!

Hey NotEthan

Good luck in your future studies! History, English and Government & Politics sound like solid choices for pursuing a future in Law. A lot of universities like you to have at least one essay based subject which you would be covered here. Have you had a look around already at a few universities that you would be interested in? Mostly they are flexible in which subjects you choose, having an English A level is a definite plus though.
I found that one of the most important things for selection they are looking at is your personal statement. This is about 1 side of typed A4 where you can really show the uni a bit about you and where you see yourself in the future. It's totally possible to start your A level journey with one idea in mind and then you could find a degree course in a year or two that can take you down a totally different path. Transferrable skills are important and everything you learn at A level can be applied to a lot of degrees.

When you're looking at different universities check out their course structure and modules for year 1 and 2 to get the best idea of what the course subjects will be like and if you think it's something you'll enjoy
https://www.essex.ac.uk/courses/ug01299/1/llb-law-with-criminology

I'd advise reading up on student finance if you are not self-funding your way through university, it can get very expensive for international students

Best of luck with your studies and welcome to the UK!
Essex Student Rep - Hayley
For Criminology I would recommend Sociology A Level.works well alongside Eng Lit and History
Reply 19
Original post by EssexStudentRep
Hey NotEthan

Good luck in your future studies! History, English and Government & Politics sound like solid choices for pursuing a future in Law. A lot of universities like you to have at least one essay based subject which you would be covered here. Have you had a look around already at a few universities that you would be interested in? Mostly they are flexible in which subjects you choose, having an English A level is a definite plus though.
I found that one of the most important things for selection they are looking at is your personal statement. This is about 1 side of typed A4 where you can really show the uni a bit about you and where you see yourself in the future. It's totally possible to start your A level journey with one idea in mind and then you could find a degree course in a year or two that can take you down a totally different path. Transferrable skills are important and everything you learn at A level can be applied to a lot of degrees.

When you're looking at different universities check out their course structure and modules for year 1 and 2 to get the best idea of what the course subjects will be like and if you think it's something you'll enjoy
https://www.essex.ac.uk/courses/ug01299/1/llb-law-with-criminology

I'd advise reading up on student finance if you are not self-funding your way through university, it can get very expensive for international students

Best of luck with your studies and welcome to the UK!
Essex Student Rep - Hayley

Thank you for the insights! Especially the financial advice-- I've neglected to think too much on finances which is a mistake on my part. I will definitely read up on student finance more, as I unfortunately think my parents didn't set out a uni fund for me.

I have looked at Cardiff University as a more local solution, same with Essex (as a less than local solution). I'm hoping to get one last univeristy to fall back on in the future if need be, but I haven't decided on it yet.

I will keep my personal statement in mind, but won't think on it too hard until later. A lot can change in two years time. I will make sure to put effort into it though!

Quick Reply

Latest