The Student Room Group
University of York
York

What's your experience of the MSc Environmental Economics course?

I got an offer for the 2023 intake and was wondering if anyone here had any experience taking this course. Were the modules delivered as advertised? Were the professors approachable? Did they provide good, regular feedback? Were you generally satisfied with the course? Why or why not?
Hi there,
It's great to hear you're considering joining us at York.

I'm an Environmental Economics student here, so hopefully these answers will help.

Were the modules delivered as advertised?
All my compulsory modules corresponded to the information stated on the website. However, the differences were only in one optional module, as the professor changed before the beginning of the academic year, and the new one slightly changed the program.

You can obtain detailed information about the 23/24-year modules from the department staff. On March 10-12, there will be an online meeting for offer holders, if I'm right. If necessary, I can find out the exact date.

Were the professors approachable? Did they provide good, regular feedback?
The professors of the department are lovely. Those that were taught to me, that's for sure. They are highly professional, answer emails quickly, know the answers to the questions we asked at the lectures, and want to teach us.

Were you generally satisfied with the course? Why or why not?
I will be able to answer this question in September as my studies continue. So far, I am satisfied with everything. However, you need to be prepared for intensive study, a lot of literature for independent reading and more assessments in the second trimester than in the first. Since English is not my first language, I have found it challenging.

Hope that helps,
Vitalina
University of York
York
Original post by University of York
Hi there,

I'm an Environmental Economics student here, so hopefully these answers will help.

All my compulsory modules corresponded to the information stated on the website. However, the differences were only in one optional module, as the professor changed before the beginning of the academic year, and the new one slightly changed the program.

You can obtain detailed information about the 23/24-year modules from the department staff. On March 10-12, there will be an online meeting for offer holders, if I'm right. If necessary, I can find out the exact date.

The professors of the department are lovely. Those that were taught to me, that's for sure. They are highly professional, answer emails quickly, know the answers to the questions we asked at the lectures, and want to teach us.

I will be able to answer this question in September as my studies continue. So far, I am satisfied with everything. However, you need to be prepared for intensive study, a lot of literature for independent reading and more assessments in the second trimester than in the first. Since English is not my first language, I have found it challenging.

Hope that helps,
Vitalina

Thanks Vitalina! That's great to hear. In your experience, was an advance level of economics/statistics needed to get started on the course? While my academic and professional background is on economics, I am thinking of doing some advance prep as a refresher and to fill in the gaps in knowledge if needed. I also have a colleague who is interested to join the course. However, since her background is on development studies, she worries that she may be at a disadvantage.
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks Vitalina! That's great to hear. In your experience, was an advance level of economics/statistics needed to get started on the course? While my academic and professional background is on economics, I am thinking of doing some advance prep as a refresher and to fill in the gaps in knowledge if needed. I also have a colleague who is interested to join the course. However, since her background is on development studies, she worries that she may

Original post by University of York
Hi there,

Hope that helps,
Vitalina

Forgot to reply to one of your other responses, but yes, I would love to know the details of this March 10-12 online meeting for offer holders.
Original post by Anonymous
Forgot to reply to one of your other responses, but yes, I would love to know the details of this March 10-12 online meeting for offer holders.

Hi there,

I think Vitalina is referring to our Masters Taster Day on Wednesday 15 March. You'll be able to visit our beautiful campus, chat with some current postgraduates, and attend events at your future academic department.

I hope this helps,
Helen :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending