The Student Room Group

Art a level help

hey,
I'm doing art A level (and I didn't do Gcse) I am doing fine art this is my first year. I wanted to base my personal project around film but I know this is not possible. Would you have any ideas of what I could do to relate it to the topic of film.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Hi! That sounds super interesting. You could:
- look at fine art through a film aspect eg set design
- work base off of a topic from a film
- search movements/ eras that work for both film and fine art
Good luck xx
Original post by elianebeck
hey,
I'm doing art A level (and I didn't do Gcse) I am doing fine art this is my first year. I wanted to base my personal project around film but I know this is not possible. Would you have any ideas of what I could do to relate it to the topic of film.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
thank you :smile:

Hi @elianebeck!

One way that you can link fine art to film is through the wonderful world of Concept Art! Most films, especially ones that incorporate CGI elements, need a dedicated team of concept artists to plan out how those creatures, characters and fantastical environments are going to look. You could even conceptualize your own world with your own creatures and landscapes. If you're looking into film as a career, Concept Art could be a great way to get your foot in the door!

Good luck, and if you want to know more about Concept Art, just let me know. :biggrin:

Rohnak
Escape Student Rep
Reply 3
Original post by Escape Studios Rep
Hi @elianebeck!

One way that you can link fine art to film is through the wonderful world of Concept Art! Most films, especially ones that incorporate CGI elements, need a dedicated team of concept artists to plan out how those creatures, characters and fantastical environments are going to look. You could even conceptualize your own world with your own creatures and landscapes. If you're looking into film as a career, Concept Art could be a great way to get your foot in the door!

Good luck, and if you want to know more about Concept Art, just let me know. :biggrin:

Rohnak
Escape Student Rep

Thank you for the great advice, could you please expand on concept art I'm not quite sure I get it.
thank you
Original post by elianebeck
Thank you for the great advice, could you please expand on concept art I'm not quite sure I get it.
thank you

Hi @elianebeck! Time for a little impromptu Concept Art lesson. :biggrin:

The main job of a concept artist is to design and draw things that will eventually be in the film. Take someone's idea for a place or a character or an object, and sketch different ideas for what that could look like. Someone high up in the hierarchy of the production will tell you what they want, usually through a mixture of briefings and sending you reference images of the style or specific aspects that they want. Your job is to explore that idea and get back to them with concepts. Art that puts a visual to the words. Both animated and live action movies need concept art, as well as larger-scale TV series and advertisements.

Here's an example. Ralph McQuarrie's famous concept art for the first Star Wars movies! Before we had Darth Vader, the most iconic movie villain of all time, we had a description. A tall, dark, evil space-samurai with a mask. Ralph McQuarrie took this description and designed the look we all know to this day. He also influenced the look of the entire original trilogy a lot, designing many beloved aliens, droids, and locales. If you've ever seen Star Wars, I'm sure you'll be able to see how much his art influenced the look of the final movie!

This is just a quick run-down, but I will also link you to the ScreenSkills page on Concept Artists, which is a comprehensive guide on what they do, how to get hired as one, how much it pays and much more.

Hope this helps! I am happy to explain anything else if needed.
Rohnak
Escape Studios Student Rep
Reply 5
This is extremely helpful!!
Thank you so much
Original post by Escape Studios Rep
Hi @elianebeck! Time for a little impromptu Concept Art lesson. :biggrin:

The main job of a concept artist is to design and draw things that will eventually be in the film. Take someone's idea for a place or a character or an object, and sketch different ideas for what that could look like. Someone high up in the hierarchy of the production will tell you what they want, usually through a mixture of briefings and sending you reference images of the style or specific aspects that they want. Your job is to explore that idea and get back to them with concepts. Art that puts a visual to the words. Both animated and live action movies need concept art, as well as larger-scale TV series and advertisements.

Here's an example. Ralph McQuarrie's famous concept art for the first Star Wars movies! Before we had Darth Vader, the most iconic movie villain of all time, we had a description. A tall, dark, evil space-samurai with a mask. Ralph McQuarrie took this description and designed the look we all know to this day. He also influenced the look of the entire original trilogy a lot, designing many beloved aliens, droids, and locales. If you've ever seen Star Wars, I'm sure you'll be able to see how much his art influenced the look of the final movie!

This is just a quick run-down, but I will also link you to the ScreenSkills page on Concept Artists, which is a comprehensive guide on what they do, how to get hired as one, how much it pays and much more.

Hope this helps! I am happy to explain anything else if needed.
Rohnak
Escape Studios Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest