The Student Room Group

If I didn’t get the required Maths grade for GCSE, would core maths make up for it?

Let’s say the requirement is a 6-7 in GCSE Maths and I only got a grade 5, would a good grade in core maths, such as a B or A make up for it? Or would you suggest just redoing the maths gcse?
a level maths can be quite difficult but doable if you put in the hard work but ideally if you want to do well you should be getting 8s and 9s but if you get lower its fine because many people have done well by working hard but the thing is if you school will allow you to take a level maths as there are requirements. and the core maths thing idk if it will you will have to ask your teachers because the requirements are there for a reason but perhaps you convinve you are capable its rlly up to your school and if their willin to let you slide by
Original post by bxa_842
Let’s say the requirement is a 6-7 in GCSE Maths and I only got a grade 5, would a good grade in core maths, such as a B or A make up for it? Or would you suggest just redoing the maths gcse?

I would usually advise to retake the full GCSE as it will keep more options open, (especially at uni). Are you thinking about the requirements at unis or at sixth form?
Original post by bxa_842

What for? If you're talking about a GCSE requirement for university, then these are usually fixed, non-negotiable requirements, and you couldn't substitute a qualification in core maths for it.
I agree with @Reality Check improving your GCSE grade with a retake would be the better option. Core maths would be a potentially useful choice if you met or exceeded the GCSE maths requirement and wanted to go a bit further for a degree that required a bit more maths competence.
Reply 5
Original post by Admit-One
I would usually advise to retake the full GCSE as it will keep more options open, (especially at uni). Are you thinking about the requirements at unis or at sixth form?

Sorry for the late response, just saw this. I was referring to university.
Original post by bxa_842
Sorry for the late response, just saw this. I was referring to university.

In that case the above guidance is sound, (uni requirements tend to be inflexible, and you'll need to retake if you don't meet the requirements). A 5 will be enough to get into a lot of courses, but a 6 or above will keep more options open - basically almost any undergrad course that doesn't require Maths at AL.

Quick Reply

Latest