The Student Room Group

First ever work shift in a hospital and I feel useless

So today was my first ever time doing a shift in my local hospital and overall I felt as though it went good and I did learn quite a bit, but at the same time I just felt like I was a walking awkward mess🤣 (maybe a bit of an exaggeration).

Don’t get me wrong, there were things I could do but I just felt like the most seemingly simple of tasks I was doing wrong. Nothing dangerous mind you (should probably add my job roles a care support worker so I’m not doing anything like obs). Mainly when it came to getting equipment such as pads, towels, linen etc I just kept getting confused as to what was where. I would get asked to get something and get told clearly where it was and then I’d end up somewhere completely different getting the wrong thing. I’m definitely not the best when it comes to directions as well and kept walking back and forth at times not knowing where I was going🤣.

Like I get it was my first ever time doing this so I’m not expected to know everything but I’m always so worried about making a fool of myself or looking like I’m extremely awkward and just never know what I’m doing. I felt a lot like this in school and it really ruined my confidence a lot over the past couple of years. I’m trying to relax now and not think too much of it but I can’t stop overthinking everything.

Oh, another thing was I borrowed a pen from a girl and completely forgot to give her it back by the end of the shift🤦🏻*♀️. Honestly my brains just not been braining recently!

Has anyone else had a similar experience particularly in a health care setting?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Newtothis_24
So today was my first ever time doing a shift in my local hospital and overall I felt as though it went good and I did learn quite a bit, but at the same time I just felt like I was a walking awkward mess🤣 (maybe a bit of an exaggeration).

Don’t get me wrong, there were things I could do but I just felt like the most seemingly simple of tasks I was doing wrong. Nothing dangerous mind you (should probably add my job roles a care support worker so I’m not doing anything like obs). Mainly when it came to getting equipment such as pads, towels, linen etc I just kept getting confused as to what was where. I would get asked to get something and get told clearly where it was and then I’d end up somewhere completely different getting the wrong thing. I’m definitely not the best when it comes to directions as well and kept walking back and forth at times not knowing where I was going🤣.

Like I get it was my first ever time doing this so I’m not expected to know everything but I’m always so worried about making a fool of myself or looking like I’m extremely awkward and just never know what I’m doing. I felt a lot like this in school and it really ruined my confidence a lot over the past couple of years. I’m trying to relax now and not think too much of it but I can’t stop overthinking everything.

Oh, another thing was I borrowed a pen from a girl and completely forgot to give her it back by the end of the shift🤦🏻*♀️. Honestly my brains just not been braining recently!

Has anyone else had a similar experience particularly in a health care setting?

I did experience a similar situation like yours once, and it was at my first job as well, though the job sector was completely a different one. My boss told me to bring something. When I went to the place where I had to get that thing, I completely forgot it and came back again to ask what it was. That was embarrassing as hell. :rofl3: I reckon it happened to us because maybe both of us were freaked out of stress as it was the first day. Don't worry. Everything will be fine after a few days of adjustment.
Reply 2
Its normal.

When I go to a ward/hospital I haven't been to in a long time and I need stuff (woundcare, catheters etc), I'm often fumbling about too.
Original post by jfear
Its normal.

When I go to a ward/hospital I haven't been to in a long time and I need stuff (woundcare, catheters etc), I'm often fumbling about too.

Would you mind me asking what position you currently hold? 'Cause I'm planning to start my bachelor's in Adult Nursing this coming September. I would love to know your experience (only if you prefer to share it).
Original post by Meheraj
Would you mind me asking what position you currently hold? 'Cause I'm planning to start my bachelor's in Adult Nursing this coming September. I would love to know your experience (only if you prefer to share it).

Hey, I’m the original poster of the question but I’ve had plenty experience since (I’m finishing my 3rd week of placement out of 5). I’ve found myself becoming a lot more confident with things. If you have any questions feel free to dm me at any point, good luck :smile:
Original post by Newtothis_24
Hey, I’m the original poster of the question but I’ve had plenty experience since (I’m finishing my 3rd week of placement out of 5). I’ve found myself becoming a lot more confident with things. If you have any questions feel free to dm me at any point, good luck :smile:

Thanks! I'll do that. Please check at your convenience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending