The Student Room Group
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Do Optional modules have a limited capacity?

The portal to select Optional modules for my third year at northumbria university have just opened, would it be best to choose one ASAP or to wait a while and properly consider which is best ?
I don't want to rush in and select one I'll regret, but i also do not want to miss out by waiting too long.
Does anyone have any advice?
it depends how much time you have to choose, if you don’t have a lot of time, i suggest you very briefly look into each of the options and see which you find more interesting. if you have more time, use this time to look more closely into all options and research them. from there, wherever your interest drives you, you should find it easier to decide. if you research at least a little, you’ll be able to have a better insight into what you’re getting yourself into which makes the probability of you regretting your choices less
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Reply 2
Original post by KhaoticCarnage
it depends how much time you have to choose, if you don’t have a lot of time, i suggest you very briefly look into each of the options and see which you find more interesting. if you have more time, use this time to look more closely into all options and research them. from there, wherever your interest drives you, you should find it easier to decide. if you research at least a little, you’ll be able to have a better insight into what you’re getting yourself into which makes the probability of you regretting your choices less

Thank you for the reply, we have until the 19th of March so I have plenty of time to research around like you said. I think I'll take your advice and weigh my options as it seems like the smarter choice.
Modules can have limited capacities, usually the module will indicate if it has capped numbers. You can also ask the module leader.

Typically in my experience modules which have lab sections/seminars/tutorials are more likely to have caps on numbers as they only have so many benches in the lab/need to keep numbers in seminars and tutorials down to ensure they function appropriately. However even purely lecture based modules can have caps dependent on lecture theatre limits and availability.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending