The Student Room Group

RVC/Bristol vet summer school

Hi does anyone have experience with the 2 week residential vet summer school at RVC or Bristol? I’d love to know how your experience was and is it worth going?:biggrin:
Hi, I haven't done it, but you can definitely get into vet schools without it. You can do all the research for free, without paying £££s. If you need more information/tips pm, I have 3 vet med offers so far so I can help!
If it’s free, go for it. You won’t lose anything by doing it, but how much you gain is questionable. As above you can research anything online and I don’t think the vet schools are massive fans of it as it’s not available to everyone. Doing more work exp and own research is better. I did the RVC 5 day residential in year 12 and don’t think I had the chance to mention it much in applications, feel I didn’t gain that much from it, but it was a fun little holiday I guess and it was free so not losing anything. Don’t do any paid “schemes”, those are just money grabbing.
Original post by boomsicles48
Hi, I haven't done it, but you can definitely get into vet schools without it. You can do all the research for free, without paying £££s. If you need more information/tips pm, I have 3 vet med offers so far so I can help!

Wow congratulations on getting 3 offers, that’s so impressive! Do you have any tips for preparing for the interview, such as books/resources? Especially the animal welfare and ethics station.
Original post by cindy4848
Wow congratulations on getting 3 offers, that’s so impressive! Do you have any tips for preparing for the interview, such as books/resources? Especially the animal welfare and ethics station.

Thanks a lot! I didn't use any books but I did research on the cases I saw at work experience that were particularly interesting or complex. I did a TPLO which is an orthopaedic surgery I was lucky enough to see! So I researched the causes, alternative treatment options, symptoms, tests etc, and I also read the Vet Times magazine, which I got from my wex clinic which was really helpful. Again I found something that intersted me that I had read about like badger culling, and vegan diets and did more research on studies and findings. Also just make sure you are up to date on current affairs such as avain flu, brachycephalic dogs and more, not much detail, but just what it is and why its a problem, and to whom it is a big problem to. I think that's mainly it, so if you need more feel free to ask! Good luck!
Thanks a lot! I didn't use any books but I did research on the cases I saw at work experience that were particularly interesting or complex. I did a TPLO which is an orthopaedic surgery I was lucky enough to see! So I researched the causes, alternative treatment options, symptoms, tests etc, and I also read the Vet Times magazine, which I got from my wex clinic which was really helpful. Again I found something that intersted me that I had read about like badger culling, and vegan diets and did more research on studies and findings. Also just make sure you are up to date on current affairs such as avain flu, brachycephalic dogs and more, not much detail, but just what it is and why its a problem, and to whom it is a big problem to. I think that's mainly it, so if you need more feel free to ask! Good luck!

Ok thank you! I’ll definitely read about different topics/current affairs. I was also lucky to see a TPLO surgery and I’ve researched about that.:biggrin:
Ok thank you! I’ll definitely read about different topics/current affairs. I was also lucky to see a TPLO surgery and I’ve researched about that.:biggrin:

it is very cool isnt it! I saw this analogy for it and it makes so much sense!

To better understand the purpose of levelling the tibia, we often use the analogy of a wagon on a hill. Imagine a wagon tied to a post on the slope of a hill. As long as the rope holds, the wagon does not roll downhill. If we add excess weight (or downward force) to the wagon, the rope could break, and the wagon will roll down the hill. However, if the wagon is on level ground, it will not roll forward with added weight, even if the rope is broken.
it is very cool isnt it! I saw this analogy for it and it makes so much sense!

To better understand the purpose of levelling the tibia, we often use the analogy of a wagon on a hill. Imagine a wagon tied to a post on the slope of a hill. As long as the rope holds, the wagon does not roll downhill. If we add excess weight (or downward force) to the wagon, the rope could break, and the wagon will roll down the hill. However, if the wagon is on level ground, it will not roll forward with added weight, even if the rope is broken.

Ohhh yeah that makes sense! Did you write about the surgeries/procedures you observed in your personal statement?
Ohhh yeah that makes sense! Did you write about the surgeries/procedures you observed in your personal statement?

Yeah just one line that I witnessed a range of procedures from x to y, just to prompt my interviewers if they look at them, so i can answer as I would have researched them
I did the residential at Bristol last summer and I didn't feel that the course helped me with writing the personal statement and interviews, however it was nice to be able to talk to and get to know vet students however we weren't allowed to keep in touch so it was kind of useless, you'd be better off spending the 2 weeks building a relationship with a vet who can help you during the application process! I'd be happy to tell you more if you dm me :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by greenchestnuts
I did the residential at Bristol last summer and I didn't feel that the course helped me with writing the personal statement and interviews, however it was nice to be able to talk to and get to know vet students however we weren't allowed to keep in touch so it was kind of useless, you'd be better off spending the 2 weeks building a relationship with a vet who can help you during the application process! I'd be happy to tell you more if you dm me :smile:

Was it very chemistry based? Because they did have a strict requirement for taking chemistry class in school
Reply 11
Did anybody go to bristol vet school open day today? I went along and was really unimpressed. Really tired facilities, poorly organised day and no planning to allow you to see where you will spend three years on the clifden campus. Very off putting
Reply 12
Original post by Cat1969
Did anybody go to bristol vet school open day today? I went along and was really unimpressed. Really tired facilities, poorly organised day and no planning to allow you to see where you will spend three years on the clifden campus. Very off putting

We went to the previous open day & came.away feeling the same. It's actually still one she's likely applying for though, I'm not sure why & I much preferred others but leaving the choice to her.

We barely got to see the main campus.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending