The Student Room Group

Is English Literature needed for History?

I currently do 4 A-levels (History, Eng Lit, French and Religious Studies) and I really want to drop Eng Lit. However, I'm not sure if it'll be necessary for me to keep taking it. I want to apply for history - do I need to take it?
Reply 1
Original post by mariaheidii
I currently do 4 A-levels (History, Eng Lit, French and Religious Studies) and I really want to drop Eng Lit. However, I'm not sure if it'll be necessary for me to keep taking it. I want to apply for history - do I need to take it?

I don't think there is a need to have English in addition if you don't enjoy it. History itself gives you plenty of essay writing practice. My friend applied for history without doing English and has received offers from all his unis.
Original post by mariaheidii

No, you don't. I've never seen it included in the requirements for a single honours history degree.
You really don't need it, though I think that out of all the A-Levels out there, English Lit is one of the few that can help teach skills that you'll find valuable in a history degree. That being said, you really won't be at any disadvantage by not having it. History is very much it's own pathway that isn't dependent on you having particular A-Levels (save for History, of course).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending