The Student Room Group

Can you rate my GCSE options?

I want to be an Architect so I have linked my GCSE options to this. Also I am trying to keep STEM open as I know I definitely want to go down that route. For context I have a target grade 8 so difficulty isn’t much of an issue. I want to learn about the difficulty, enjoyment, and general content of my subjects. Also, what A-levels could I go on to do with these?

I am doing as compulsory
-English Lit
-English Lang
-Maths
-Triple Science (Bio, Phys, Chem)
-German ( I have to do this on EBACC)

My chosen options are:
-History (may be changed to Geography if the school accommodates my preference instead pf blocks)
-Computer Science
-3D-Design

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
no one cares about gcse option. but u can probs change history to dt?
Original post by io432
no one cares about gcse option. but u can probs change history to dt?

Unfortunately not… :frown: My school make us choose one of Art, Graphics, Textiles and 3D-Design. Thanks for the suggestion anyway :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Moonlight:)
I want to be an Architect so I have linked my GCSE options to this. Also I am trying to keep STEM open as I know I definitely want to go down that route. For context I have a target grade 8 so difficulty isn’t much of an issue. I want to learn about the difficulty, enjoyment, and general content of my subjects. Also, what A-levels could I go on to do with these?

I am doing as compulsory
-English Lit
-English Lang
-Maths
-Triple Science (Bio, Phys, Chem)
-German ( I have to do this on EBACC)

My chosen options are:
-History (may be changed to Geography if the school accommodates my preference instead pf blocks)
-Computer Science
-3D-Design

The Ebacc is not compulsory - the school cannot make you do it.
Unfortunately not… :frown: My school make us choose one of Art, Graphics, Textiles and 3D-Design. Thanks for the suggestion anyway :smile:

Why can't you do 2? Your options sound very restricted
Original post by Muttley79
The Ebacc is not compulsory - the school cannot make you do it.

A lot of people are not happy about it, because they have high target grades but hate languages. Luckily though I am decent at German (got 100% on a writing and 95% in speaking). Also I like it a lot so I would’ve taken it anyway. My school is making the top 45% in the year do EBACC, some people say this is League tabling (don’t know what that is…)
Why can't you do 2? Your options sound very restricted

I have copy and pasted my GCSE block sheet

EBACC OPTION BLOCKS 2023
Choose one from each of Option Block B, C and D
Notes:

-You must choose either Geography, History or Ancient History (you can choose Geography and a History if you wish)

-If you choose History, select either History or Ancient History you cannot do both

-You can only choose one from Textiles, Art & Design, Graphic Communications, 3D Design

-You can only choose one from Computer Science and I Media

-You can only choose one from Business Studies/Enterprise

Block A
English Language
English Literature
Maths
Science
French or German
PSHCE

Block B
History
Ancient History
Art
Food Preparation & Nut
RST
Graphic Communications
Business Studies

Block C
Geography
Music
Art
Textiles
PE/Sport
Computer Science
I Media
Health & Social Care

Block D
Geography
3D Design
Citizenship
Health & Social Care
Graphic Communications
Computer Science
Business Studies
Enterprise
Drama
(edited 1 year ago)
A lot of people are not happy about it, because they have high target grades but hate languages. Luckily though I am decent at German (got 100% on a writing and 95% in speaking). Also I like it a lot so I would’ve taken it anyway. My school is making the top 45% in the year do EBACC, some people say this is League tabling (don’t know what that is…)

Yes - the Ebacc is not a qualification and is of no benefit to you. Schools 'bully' people to do it for Ofsted ..

EBACC OPTION BLOCKS 2023
Notes:

-You must choose either Geography, History or Ancient History (you can choose Geography and a History if you wish)

-If you choose History, select either History or Ancient History you cannot do both

-You can only choose one from Textiles, Art & Design, Graphic Communications, 3D Design

Very restrictive ... has no-one complained?
Yes - the Ebacc is not a qualification and is of no benefit to you. Schools 'bully' people to do it for Ofsted ..

Yeah, it is Ok for me but for so many people it is really unfair. I wish I could’ve done Fine Art and a tech…
(edited 1 year ago)

Not of what I know of but I wouldn’t be surprised if anyone did.

Oh good, because I was worried I would be disadvantaged for not having it

mine is even more restrictive. You have to do compulsory, RS and a language, then choose one subject from Block A and a reserve and one from Block B.

Block A:
Sociology
Health and Social Care
Geography
Design Technology
Computer Science
Art
Textiles
Food Tech
Sport Science
GCSE PE
Business Studies
Music
Drama
PSCHE

Block B:
History
Geography
Original post by lexistar
mine is even more restrictive. You have to do compulsory, RS and a language, then choose one subject from Block A and a reserve and one from Block B.

Block A:
Sociology
Health and Social Care
Geography
Design Technology
Computer Science
Art
Textiles
Food Tech
Sport Science
GCSE PE
Business Studies
Music
Drama
PSCHE

Block B:
History
Geography

Crazy - they are forcing you to do the Ebacc which is a complete waste of time. No uni requires a GCSE MFL.
It's because I apparently need "to push myself" because I'm academic. They're not even offering me Creative iMedia which I wanted to do rather than RS however I want to do triple science.

It's because of Ofsted I think. They're making more students do Ebacc this year
Yeah at my school we have to do a humanity (history or geogrpaghy) and for most a language either french or german.This is to complete the Ebacc. I want to go into the Stem subects so I'm doing higher mathmatics, triple science, computer science. I'm also doing history and geograpghy as I enjoy them and I'm good at them.
that's cool

we get 2 options and compulsory RS for our 3rd choice ugh
Reply 17

i heard 3d easy is easy and the test for gcse is just a practicle no written work exept from drawing.
Reply 18

EBACC OPTION BLOCKS 2023
Notes:

Block A
English Language
English Literature
Maths
Science
French or German
PSHCE

Block B
History
Ancient History
Art
Food Preparation & Nut
RST
Graphic Communications
Business Studies

Block C
Geography
Music
Art
Textiles
PE/Sport
Computer Science
I Media
Health & Social Care

Block D
Geography
3D Design
Citizenship
Health & Social Care
Graphic Communications
Computer Science
Business Studies
Enterprise
Drama

I find it a bit weird how it seems your school prioritises geography over history and how they seem to value more 'academic' subjects. However I think you made a good choice with the very restricted options.
Original post by yak8
I find it a bit weird how it seems your school prioritises geography over history and how they seem to value more 'academic' subjects. However I think you made a good choice with the very restricted options.

Sorry, I haven’t been on here for a while but thanks for rating my options. I’m happy with what I have taken. I am not the sort of person to sit and write notes all the time so I have chosen some fun, interesting and practical subjects. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest