The Student Room Group

Problems with student accommodation?

Hi all. I am doing my product design coursework and I would like to know what problems you face in student accommodation, particularly on campus university. This can be generalised problems (e.g. safety, hygiene, etc) but I would rather it was specific issues that you have come across. Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi all. I am doing my product design coursework and I would like to know what problems you face in student accommodation, particularly on campus university. This can be generalised problems (e.g. safety, hygiene, etc) but I would rather it was specific issues that you have come across. Thanks

Is it a research paper or simply an essay?
Original post by Wasonga
Is it a research paper or simply an essay?

It is for my coursework, I need to design a product which fixes a problem many university students suffer/ have suffered from. Any problems you have would be appreciated! :smile:
Ah, cool!

#Anon, I can share problems but I don't know if it will inspire any ideas. Here goes:

- All the fluff/lint left in the dryers in the laundry room.

- Coins that get left in the rubber rim of washing machines.

- Collecting parcels.

- Electric hobs! They take a long time to get warm (so it's difficult to know when you can start cooking).

- Forgetting about switches that I have left on: kettle, microwave, electric hobs etc

- Turning off the main light (needing to get up/stretch).

- Not being able to adjust lighting/ making the most of natural light,

Maybe that's all a bit random, but hope it helps!

Oluwatosin 2nd year podiatry student University of Huddersfield
Original post by University of Huddersfield
Ah, cool!

#Anon, I can share problems but I don't know if it will inspire any ideas. Here goes:

- All the fluff/lint left in the dryers in the laundry room.

- Coins that get left in the rubber rim of washing machines.

- Collecting parcels.

- Electric hobs! They take a long time to get warm (so it's difficult to know when you can start cooking).

- Forgetting about switches that I have left on: kettle, microwave, electric hobs etc

- Turning off the main light (needing to get up/stretch).

- Not being able to adjust lighting/ making the most of natural light,

Maybe that's all a bit random, but hope it helps!

Oluwatosin 2nd year podiatry student University of Huddersfield

Thanks for your post, this should really help! :smile:

I guess "people you live with" and "neighbors" are both out of scope, unless the brief includes innovative ways of ……. disposal :colonhash:.
Original post by Mr Wednesday
I guess "people you live with" and "neighbors" are both out of scope, unless the brief includes innovative ways of ……. disposal :colonhash:.

:biggrin::biggrin::s-smilie:
Thanks for your post, this should really help! :smile:

Good to hear (PRSOM)!

Hope the project goes well,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield

Hello,

I hope you’re well. In my first year I had a house share with a few people and that was okay, I am now in my 4th and final year of university and have been in student accommodation for over 2 years now. The only problems I’ve faced are: messiness in the kitchen, people not taking out bins and general loud noise in times which I need to rest.

Most of this can be avoided though. You can always have a chat with flatmates when you first arrive and set a few ground rules to do with a bin rota and just discussing everyone needs to clean their own mess. In terms of noise, I understood because I do a health course and on placement regularly it was harder for me however, I had my flatmates number and would text them if I had a shift the next day and asked for the noise to be kept down!

Hope this helps
Jade :smile:
Cov Uni Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending