The Student Room Group

Can I quit work for this?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I'm curious to know what's the type of bets you partook they didn't like even if those bets lost?

Horse racing at Cheltenham, each way bets when they were going 1/4 the odds a place even in non-handicap races with a very short priced favourite.
Original post by ageshallnot
Horse racing at Cheltenham, each way bets when they were going 1/4 the odds a place even in non-handicap races with a very short priced favourite.

You'd think the bookies would take your cash and that was it!

Have you been banned on trading exchanges? I'd doubt you banned on there as you pay commission on wins
You'd think the bookies would take your cash and that was it!

Have you been banned on trading exchanges? I'd doubt you banned on there as you pay commission on wins

Unfortunately not! Bookmakers frequently ban successful punters.

No, I still have my Betfair account for the rare occasions I have a bet nowadays. Probably the only reason an exchange would ban you nowadays is if they suspected you of money laundering.

I used to put a fair amount of money through Betfair a few years ago, laying correct scores in matches where I could get better odds with high street bookies.
Back i use to bet like a gambler, throwing away money that I think and hope would win, I literally lost £250 month.

The key is to have a strategy, analysis, trail and error and lots of experience.

Im only going to bet once or twice a day and that large bet I won yesterday, the indicators were there. Yes I did put random bets on only large odds, but leading up to that win, the indicators were there.

I'll pm you later.
Back i use to bet like a gambler, throwing away money that I think and hope would win, I literally lost £250 month.

The key is to have a strategy, analysis, trail and error and lots of experience.

Im only going to bet once or twice a day and that large bet I won yesterday, the indicators were there. Yes I did put random bets on only large odds, but leading up to that win, the indicators were there.

I'll pm you later.

Ok

I'll pm you later.

What was it you wanted to ask?
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi

Hi
Original post by CuriousGeorgeRSA
Hi

Have you quit your job yet? I see this thread was old but I'm wondering if you pursued
Have you quit your job yet? I see this thread was old but I'm wondering if you pursued

Asking yourself a question? 😆

But the answer would be negative. The OP was at best a fantasist.
Asking yourself a question? 😆

But the answer would be negative. The OP was at best a fantasist.

Not quite haha but I would love your opinion as well. I've taken on the task of promoting a software system for horse racing. However it doesn't use form data, it uses historical racetrack favourite statistics. It also has a function where you can test your strategies on races past, or try practice betting on live races. As experienced punters I was hoping to get your opinion on whether a program like this is desirable and in what way. It links with Betfair..
Not quite haha but I would love your opinion as well. I've taken on the task of promoting a software system for horse racing. However it doesn't use form data, it uses historical racetrack favourite statistics. It also has a function where you can test your strategies on races past, or try practice betting on live races. As experienced punters I was hoping to get your opinion on whether a program like this is desirable and in what way. It links with Betfair..

What net results does it give?
I don't have access to that information but I can find out. That info is being added to my list of things to promo, thank you. It certainly would depend on the user, part of my project is to revamp the training videos as some users have a difficult time trying to figure it out, killing the average successes. The long term members, however, swear by it and have been using it for years.
I don't have access to that information but I can find out. That info is being added to my list of things to promo, thank you. It certainly would depend on the user, part of my project is to revamp the training videos as some users have a difficult time trying to figure it out, killing the average successes. The long term members, however, swear by it and have been using it for years. Racestatsapp.com if you'd like to check it out.

I have various fundamental issues with programs or services such as this. For example...

If it's so profitable, why aren't it's creators and those who work for them (eg you) not filling their boots with it rather than trying to flog it for about a grand a year?

The more people who use it, the greater the pressure there will be on optimum returns, resulting in a decline in profitability.
Noted, thank you. I'm fresh as **** to wagering in general (if you couldn't tell), and the owner uses it religiously. I will be using it and making my own opinion of it as I delve in to this more. It isn't something that will give you the winning answer but a tool to use for building and testing personal strategies. Similar systems have succeeded in other sports; would you say there has been a decline in profitability when betting on football or baseball or that sort?
Noted, thank you. I'm fresh as **** to wagering in general (if you couldn't tell), and the owner uses it religiously. I will be using it and making my own opinion of it as I delve in to this more. It isn't something that will give you the winning answer but a tool to use for building and testing personal strategies. Similar systems have succeeded in other sports; would you say there has been a decline in profitability when betting on football or baseball or that sort?

I don't understand your final sentence.
I don't understand your final sentence.

I think it was meant to be a slightly devils advocate, "well if these systems already exist for other sports, why haven't odds makers cottoned on and reduced the profitability in those areas?".

The answer would be that these systems fundamentally don't work enough for bookies to care. In fact, they probably like that people think they have one over on them.
Original post by Admit-One
I think it was meant to be a slightly devils advocate, "well if these systems already exist for other sports, why haven't odds makers cottoned on and reduced the profitability in those areas?".

The answer would be that these systems fundamentally don't work enough for bookies to care. In fact, they probably like that people think they have one over on them.

Or it could be a response to my point that if lots of people try to use the system or methodology then they are all chasing the best available odds. Only a few can get the best available odds, so the others have to accept a reduced return (or not bet).
Or it could be a response to my point that if lots of people try to use the system or methodology then they are all chasing the best available odds. Only a few can get the best available odds, so the others have to accept a reduced return (or not bet).

Very good point. If there a few people using the same methodology then oddsmakers are probably going to notice and react to that.
Original post by Admit-One
Very good point. If there a few people using the same methodology then oddsmakers are probably going to notice and react to that.

Yes, or if you have 10 punters chasing 3 layers offering 100/1 then 7 of them are going to be disappointed.
Or to put it another way, there's a reason the Bet365 boss receives one of the highest salaries in UK history, and it isn't that the company hasn't considered that people might plug some historic data into a spreadsheet/some software. They are very well considered as to how to make it profitable from their POV.
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending