The Student Room Group

Should I quit my job at mcdonalds to help my studies?

I fairly recently got a job at mcdonalds which I am fairly stressed about because I'm not really getting training but that's not the main issue, so they kinda expect me to work both Saturdays and Sundays for 8 hours each shift, I've tried communicating that once a week is more preferable but they've either gotten annoyed or just ignored it. I know I've only just started but it's already affecting my college life as my usual one day of downtime on Saturday after studying for hours all week is just gone and its very very overwhelming so should I just quit? I don't need a job right now I mostly need experience, I'd probably try find another job with better hours suited for me (my local kfc does 2 four hour shifts sat sun which is managable) or just one day a week. I feel like people will tell me to work after college but my mother doesn't want me working that late so it's off the table unfortunately.
Reply 1
There are a million better place to work than McD I reckon. The kitchen in particular is a sweat shop
Honestly, college before a job imo. The money is good in the short term, but college will open up far more opportunities in the long term.
Reply 3
Original post by Avsopss
I fairly recently got a job at mcdonalds which I am fairly stressed about because I'm not really getting training but that's not the main issue, so they kinda expect me to work both Saturdays and Sundays for 8 hours each shift, I've tried communicating that once a week is more preferable but they've either gotten annoyed or just ignored it. I know I've only just started but it's already affecting my college life as my usual one day of downtime on Saturday after studying for hours all week is just gone and its very very overwhelming so should I just quit? I don't need a job right now I mostly need experience, I'd probably try find another job with better hours suited for me (my local kfc does 2 four hour shifts sat sun which is managable) or just one day a week. I feel like people will tell me to work after college but my mother doesn't want me working that late so it's off the table unfortunately.

Quit please. In first year of sixth form I was working at maccies and they scheduled me both Saturday and Sunday 8 hour shifts and then another 8 hour shift on one of my two half days. I did not get one day off for weeks on end. My days at school were my ‘rest days’ because I knew this was better than work. I’m in my second year now and my grades are so bad and I’m having to catch up with school work. After working at maccies for almost a year now I’m confident to ask them that I can not work both days of the weekend and can only work 1-2 shifts a week because of my mental health and have had to send emails saying I’m not doing the shifts they schedule me for. I know money is important but honestly your mental health is more important, if they don’t respect your needs don’t respect there’s. And training at maccies is so bad you just have to learn on the go
Reply 4
Hi I’m currently balancing 2 jobs inc maccies and a levels… not a great plan. My McDonald’s is rlly flexible with hours so id recommend talking to the managers and asking for less hours. Good luck!
Reply 5
I've been put in kitchen 😭😭 it's awful I keep getting burned and I have aches all week from the boxes
Reply 6
Yeah I'll work the Saturday and try communicate it with them but if that doesn't work then bye bye mcdonalds

Original post by Em200512
Quit please. In first year of sixth form I was working at maccies and they scheduled me both Saturday and Sunday 8 hour shifts and then another 8 hour shift on one of my two half days. I did not get one day off for weeks on end. My days at school were my ‘rest days’ because I knew this was better than work. I’m in my second year now and my grades are so bad and I’m having to catch up with school work. After working at maccies for almost a year now I’m confident to ask them that I can not work both days of the weekend and can only work 1-2 shifts a week because of my mental health and have had to send emails saying I’m not doing the shifts they schedule me for. I know money is important but honestly your mental health is more important, if they don’t respect your needs don’t respect there’s. And training at maccies is so bad you just have to learn on the go
Reply 7
Original post by Em200512

So meeting I was told I had to work both days of the weekend so I quit!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending