The Student Room Group

Can my landlord take my deposit for late rent?

Hi

I'm a lodger and still living at the property - I am convinced that a court would determine I had a tenancy on the basis that I was assured it was an assured shorthold tenancy before moving in, and it is treated as a tenancy by the landlord

She has told me she has taken my deposit for late rent - without adjusting the rent arrears by the deposit amount.

Is she entitled to do this, or should I deduct the deposit amount from my rent arrears? Money is extremely tight

Thanks.
(edited 1 year ago)
@nulli tertius Wondering if you might know anything about this?
any thoughts from anyone?
I can’t see the type of arrangement has any bearing on the question, but the chances are it isn’t an AST or any other tenancy because of a lack of exclusive possession.

However, a penalty of this kind for late payment of rent is nonsense. Try to get her to confirm in writing the reason for taking the deposit, then deduct from final rent. You don’t want her changing her story for the reason for forfeiting the deposit.
Original post by nulli tertius
I can’t see the type of arrangement has any bearing on the question, but the chances are it isn’t an AST or any other tenancy because of a lack of exclusive possession.

However, a penalty of this kind for late payment of rent is nonsense. Try to get her to confirm in writing the reason for taking the deposit, then deduct from final rent. You don’t want her changing her story for the reason for forfeiting the deposit.

Thanks for this - I'm glad of the second paragraph and will do as you suggest

Can I ask you to explain a bit about the type of arrangement - I have been told elsewhere that certain things might give me the security of the tenancy. The rent is insanely high for a lodging arrangement and I require the security as I have some experience of homelessness. I have recorded phone conversations where for example I asked her directly before moving in 'is it an assured shorthold tenancy' and she replied 'yes' - also she has said herself since that while it is not she treats it as if it is one, and has written a letter I have in which she describes me as a tenant. Is that not enough? I am confused by what 'exclusive possession' means here as of course I am the only one who uses my room, don't tenants sometimes live in the same house?

Thanks
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 5
Original post by IMatthews95
I am confused by what 'exclusive possession' means here as of course I am the only one who uses my room, don't tenants sometimes live in the same house?

Does your landlord live in the same house? Who's name is the council tax in?
Original post by Reue
Does your landlord live in the same house? Who's name is the council tax in?

Hi - yes, she does. I pay rent that includes all bills - however, she is herself a tenant. I believe that means it is sub-letting but I am not sure. The council tax is either paid by her or by the landlord above her as it were
I highly doubt if it is an ast so no real rights.
Reply 8
Thanks for this - I'm glad of the second paragraph and will do as you suggest

Can I ask you to explain a bit about the type of arrangement - I have been told elsewhere that certain things might give me the security of the tenancy. The rent is insanely high for a lodging arrangement and I require the security as I have some experience of homelessness. I have recorded phone conversations where for example I asked her directly before moving in 'is it an assured shorthold tenancy' and she replied 'yes' - also she has said herself since that while it is not she treats it as if it is one, and has written a letter I have in which she describes me as a tenant. Is that not enough? I am confused by what 'exclusive possession' means here as of course I am the only one who uses my room, don't tenants sometimes live in the same house?

Thanks

Given the muddiness around whether or not this is an AST, I recommend you run this by Shelter for professional advice.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by GMDB
Given the muddiness around whether or not this is an AST, I recommend you run this by Shelter for professional advice.

I've tried. Their live chat is never available and similarly the call line
(edited 1 year ago)
Did your landlord register your deposit?
Original post by Kutie Karen
Did your landlord register your deposit?

They told me it was an AST before I arrived and that the deposit would be put in a protected deposit scheme. Both of these things were affirmative answers to me asking if they were the case. Neither was true

They have since pleaded ignorance saying they don't know what either of those terms are despite having lodgers for 25 years

Since I started this thread they have told me that the deposit they told me had been spent on rent arrears has to be reinstated by me so there is a deposit left in case I damage something - their logic being that they spent it on rent arrears for my benefit to give me more time. The whole thing is so dodgy in my mind
(edited 1 year ago)
They told me it was an AST before I arrived and that the deposit would be put in a protected deposit scheme. Both of these things were affirmative answers to me asking if they were the case. Neither was true

They have since pleaded ignorance saying they don't know what either of those terms are despite having lodgers for 25 years

Since I started this thread they have told me that the deposit they told me had been spent on rent arrears has to be reinstated by me as part of the overall rent arrears bill.

It sounds awful. If they took a deposit they need to register and give the details too. did previous lodgers also have this same issue?
Original post by Kutie Karen
It sounds awful. If they took a deposit they need to register and give the details too. did previous lodgers also have this same issue?

The landlord told me no - she said she has not had rent arrears in 20 years. However the other current lodger is a foreigner and I get the impression they usually are and perhaps more vulnerable or not as clued up on these domestic legal rights issues
I am going to be served notice on Monday and I have been unable to contact Shelter at all by chat or phone all week so any and all advice would be greatly appreciated
The landlord told me no - she said she has not had rent arrears in 20 years. However the other current lodger is a foreigner and I get the impression they usually are and perhaps more vulnerable or not as clued up on these domestic legal rights issues

Try ringing the citizens advice helpline. They should be able to help.
I am going to be served notice on Monday and I have been unable to contact Shelter at all by chat or phone all week so any and all advice would be greatly appreciated

That is terrible. How do you pay your rent?
Reply 17

Try Shelter again first thing on Monday as I think their advice could be transformative for you here. Try the live chat, and call at the same time until you get through via one of these methods. Yes they are busy, but giving up means you don't get the advice you need, so keep checking/wait on hold until you get through.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending