The Student Room Group

history and english lit a level

I'm pretty much set on taking history and biology at a level. However, I want to swap english language with literature as my third choice but i am just not sure whether the workload of history and lit will be too much. Could anyone help? I enjoy both english subjects the same and would like some advice.
literature's workload isnt that intense honestly (atleast from a personal preference) and in relation with history, it may provide very useful in terms of contextual marks as a large part of literature essays are set out on context. Language would be good for skills like persuading or creative writing, whilst literature is good for analysing and coming up unique interpretations. for me personally, i find lit as my comfort subject as going through analysis is rather theraputic (my other subjects are socio and psych). I would suggest you go through the specifications of both subjects and see which would interest you more, as well as look online of peoples experiences of both subjects (like ive seen alot of people regret choosing language). Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by psychstudent2625
literature's workload isnt that intense honestly (atleast from a personal preference) and in relation with history, it may provide very useful in terms of contextual marks as a large part of literature essays are set out on context. Language would be good for skills like persuading or creative writing, whilst literature is good for analysing and coming up unique interpretations. for me personally, i find lit as my comfort subject as going through analysis is rather theraputic (my other subjects are socio and psych). I would suggest you go through the specifications of both subjects and see which would interest you more, as well as look online of peoples experiences of both subjects (like ive seen alot of people regret choosing language). Good luck!

Thank you so much for this - what is the sort of things that you would do in lit? Like are there any specific questions or research or reading that you need to do extra?
Original post by mumbygumby
Thank you so much for this - what is the sort of things that you would do in lit? Like are there any specific questions or research or reading that you need to do extra?

well the questions are always essays so for edexcel international, its 25 marker essays which youre given an hour to write. You def need to do some research around the novel/play/prose in terms of context as 50% of marks are focused on context, as well as the fact theres no specific textbook for literature so you just need to abosrb as much info as you can on the texts youre studying onine + in class as possible!
I'm pretty much set on taking history and biology at a level. However, I want to swap english language with literature as my third choice but i am just not sure whether the workload of history and lit will be too much. Could anyone help? I enjoy both english subjects the same and would like some advice.

I've done History, English Lit, and Langauge at A-level and tbh the work load is pretty difficult to juggle. History is a big step up from IGCSEs, not the AS course so much as the AL, but it's really enjoyable. Lit has a lot of reading, research, essay writing etc. Language is a bit easier but believe it or not the second half of AL is nothing like IGCSE. It focusses on Langauge Acquisition, Language Change, & Langauge and Identity. They're both really interesting and god subjects to pair with History. Personally I prefer Lit, and if you enjoy it, balancing the work load isn't that bad. Lit helps a lot with History actually, they compliment each other very well.

But in the end, if you have a specific career in mind you should probably choose the subject that will help you more in that : D
Reply 5
Original post by Marina S.
I've done History, English Lit, and Langauge at A-level and tbh the work load is pretty difficult to juggle. History is a big step up from IGCSEs, not the AS course so much as the AL, but it's really enjoyable. Lit has a lot of reading, research, essay writing etc. Language is a bit easier but believe it or not the second half of AL is nothing like IGCSE. It focusses on Langauge Acquisition, Language Change, & Langauge and Identity. They're both really interesting and god subjects to pair with History. Personally I prefer Lit, and if you enjoy it, balancing the work load isn't that bad. Lit helps a lot with History actually, they compliment each other very well.

But in the end, if you have a specific career in mind you should probably choose the subject that will help you more in that : D

Great, thank you so much!!

Heya!
The workload should be fine for all subjects as long as you stick to 3 :h: If it helps, you can always check out what kind of questions will be asked in the future by looking at past papers. Study Mind has free past papers you can have a look at!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest