The Student Room Group

Is it a problem that I'm spending an extra year to complete my undergrad degree?

I'm in my third year of a four-year integrated Masters in Biomedical Sciences, planning to start GEM in 2024.
However, it will take me 5 years to complete my degree as I took a year out (between my second and third year) as I was very behind in my studies due to some unfortunate family events during the COVID lockdowns.
I've seen that Queen Mary University of London require that "your degree must be completed in the natural length intended for the qualification (four years for an integrated Masters)".
Will the extra year I've taken to do my degree be a problem when applying to other med schools?
Specifically I'm thinking of Cambridge, Kings College London, St Andrews
I don't think it would be a disadvantage for your applications. Most universities are extremely understanding about extenuating circumstances, especially during COVID. They might require you to explain why it took an extra year, but they will not mark you negatively because of it. If you are concerned, it is helpful to email QMUL prior to applying and ask about your eligibility for it. It'll save you an application slot and some stress.
Some medical schools do expect this or make a fuss if you haven't. I was expected to justify why I took extra time to finish a degree that I completed over twelve years ago when I applied to Lancaster. I politely told them I wouldn't be doing that as i already had an offer elsewhere. I'd add them to the list of places that expect this. None of the other universities I applied to even mentioned this so it's very likely it won't be a problem. I would just maybe ensure that your referee explains it in your reference and then they shouldn't need to ask for any other details anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending