The Student Room Group

Which engineering university is best?

Hello
I have three offers for electrical and electronic engineering from Kings College London (AAA), Manchester (AAA) and Cardiff (AAB). Manchester has the highest ranking out of these three but does that matter for future job prospects? Or does the university name mean more to employers? King's is the bigger name and I also like the idea of living in London. So I'm a bit stuck with what to do.
Original post by TopFaris
Hello
I have three offers for electrical and electronic engineering from Kings College London (AAA), Manchester (AAA) and Cardiff (AAB). Manchester has the highest ranking out of these three but does that matter for future job prospects? Or does the university name mean more to employers? King's is the bigger name and I also like the idea of living in London. So I'm a bit stuck with what to do.

If you want to work in engineering in the UK it is not going to make a difference.

If you want to work in banking or consulting, go to Kings or Manchester.

If you have a strong desire to work abroad within your first 2-3 years post university then KCL will probably be beneficial, it’s a very mixed bag with who understands UK unis and brand name recognition will be more beneficial.

For the most part which university you attend is unlikely to be what gets you a job, your performance in job application assessments and CV will be what really gets you a job. its not like your comparing southbank and Manchester, they are all very reputable and you’ll be fine at all of them.
Is the course at KCL accredited?
Original post by ajj2000
Is the course at KCL accredited?

At the moment, No. They do plan on getting it accredited ASAP and it will most probably be backtracked for years that weren't accredited. It hasn't been done by now since the department closed and reopened and so the IET needs them to have this cohort graduate before they can go in and accredit it next year. It's not a difficult process though.

Quick Reply

Latest