The Student Room Group

How to get a 9 in English (Both Lang and Lit)

How do you get a 9 in English Language and Literature????
I do the AQA board, and Macbeth,An Inspector Calls, Power and conflict poetry anthology and A Christmas Carol
Reply 1
As someone who has always gotten 9s in Language and Literature, here's what I do (I also do AQA):

I do Romeo and Juliet instead of Macbeth but I got 29/30 for my mock for Shakespeare and honestly the best thing I did was to use the resources already out there. Channels like Mr Bruff, Mr Everything English and DystopiaJunkie (my personal fav) are amazing, as well as Physics and Maths Tutor for really detailed analysis. Make a quote bank but I mean maximum 4 or 5 quotes per theme/ character, don't overdo it because you can always find ways to link quotes together. Learn the structure (iambic pentameter, couplets, sonnet), those are easy structure marks. Really go in-depth with the analysis, honestly make some crazy statements if you have to. Make sure to talk about how the Elizabethan/ Edwardian (whatever period) audience would feel/ react but also modern audiences - you can make some really good paradoxes if you talk about both.

For all texts, it is so important to understand the whole story and make sure you know what happens at each stage - you can find copies of them online for free to read and even annotate sections if you want to. Admittedly Power and Conflict is not my favourite but the best thing you can do is to organise the poems into clear themes (many examples online) and learn key quotes. When I thoroughly annotate each poem, it's so easy to see comparisons that you can make to other poems and the similarities. Again, you do not have to make up the annotation yourself! PMT and YouTube have great resources for annotating. Then I put together poems that I will compare for example, if the question was about power of nature, instantly Ozymandias and The Prelude come to mind, if it was about Identity, I think of Checking Out Me History and the Emigree.

I found a resource that really helps me with Power and Conflict
https://thedeanacademy.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/English-Y11-AQA-Poetry-Anthology-Knowledge-Organiser.pdf

Lastly, approach each question with knife-like precision. Really dive into the quote, think as if the author was right next to you, telling you why they did things, provide multiple interpretations to the same quote and have bold ideas (Shakespeare is not going to rise from the dead and tell you that you're wrong!). English is the one subject for me where I can say whatever I want and as long as I can prove it, there is nothing stopping me!

Hope this was helpful! If you have anymore questions let me know and good luck to us in May omg!
Original post by etudbee
As someone who has always gotten 9s in Language and Literature, here's what I do (I also do AQA):

I do Romeo and Juliet instead of Macbeth but I got 29/30 for my mock for Shakespeare and honestly the best thing I did was to use the resources already out there. Channels like Mr Bruff, Mr Everything English and DystopiaJunkie (my personal fav) are amazing, as well as Physics and Maths Tutor for really detailed analysis. Make a quote bank but I mean maximum 4 or 5 quotes per theme/ character, don't overdo it because you can always find ways to link quotes together. Learn the structure (iambic pentameter, couplets, sonnet), those are easy structure marks. Really go in-depth with the analysis, honestly make some crazy statements if you have to. Make sure to talk about how the Elizabethan/ Edwardian (whatever period) audience would feel/ react but also modern audiences - you can make some really good paradoxes if you talk about both.

For all texts, it is so important to understand the whole story and make sure you know what happens at each stage - you can find copies of them online for free to read and even annotate sections if you want to. Admittedly Power and Conflict is not my favourite but the best thing you can do is to organise the poems into clear themes (many examples online) and learn key quotes. When I thoroughly annotate each poem, it's so easy to see comparisons that you can make to other poems and the similarities. Again, you do not have to make up the annotation yourself! PMT and YouTube have great resources for annotating. Then I put together poems that I will compare for example, if the question was about power of nature, instantly Ozymandias and The Prelude come to mind, if it was about Identity, I think of Checking Out Me History and the Emigree.

https://thedeanacademy.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/English-Y11-AQA-Poetry-Anthology-Knowledge-Organiser.pdf

Lastly, approach each question with knife-like precision. Really dive into the quote, think as if the author was right next to you, telling you why they did things, provide multiple interpretations to the same quote and have bold ideas (Shakespeare is not going to rise from the dead and tell you that you're wrong!). English is the one subject for me where I can say whatever I want and as long as I can prove it, there is nothing stopping me!

Hope this was helpful! If you have anymore questions let me know and good luck to us in May omg!

Thank you! Do you have any advice for English Language too?
Reply 3
Original post by schoolisgood123
Thank you! Do you have any advice for English Language too?

Honestly, I don't really revise for English language but I would say the best way to improve is to practice answering the structure, language and evaluation questions for paper 1 and the summary, language and comparison question for paper 2. In my opinion, the reading section for paper 2 is much harder but Mr Everything English's videos on both English language papers honestly helped so much! Practicing questions is the most effective for me so whatever AQA decides to pull out, I'm prepared. I use revisionworld to get past papers and also send them to teachers to mark. For the Q5 Writing question, I always try to focus on the language that I use and I try to write something that it is full of language and structural techniques that I could annotate myself and point out all the features - it makes writing more fun to me to look back at my work and see all the things I have used. Timing is so important for Language as well! Normally at my school teachers suggest to do Q5, Q1, Q3, Q2 and then Q4, but I personally go in order (1,2,3,4,5) because I am the type of person who can get lost writing and writing so I like to move on to Q5 with exactly 45 mins so I can keep my writing straight to the point, without going on and on.
Original post by etudbee

Do you have tips for memorising quotes quickly and easily?
How do you get a 9 in English Language and Literature????
I do the AQA board, and Macbeth,An Inspector Calls, Power and conflict poetry anthology and A Christmas Carol

Heya!
I would recommend checking out this article (linked) that goes over the best tips for how to ensure your revision is effective :h: What really helped me was planning the essay before starting to write it!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Original post by etudbee

How did you revise for an inspector calls? and how many quotes per theme? i do 2-3 quotes per theme is that okay?
Reply 7
Do you have tips for memorising quotes quickly and easily?

for memorisation, what I do is to write the quote down and leave blanks like for example:
for An Inspector Class, I do "It's better to ______ (ask) for the earth than to _____ (take) it" or "Really the things you ____(girls) pick up these days!" I do this for not only English but for learning quotes in R.E as well. I use the app RemNote to write them up and put the blanks in and it uses spaced repetition to test me on them every so often but you can just put them on some paper and stick it on your wall so every time you look at it, you try to recall the missing bits.
Reply 8
Original post by paracqilo
How did you revise for an inspector calls? and how many quotes per theme? i do 2-3 quotes per theme is that okay?

I normally do 2-3 quotes as well per theme. It all depends on your writing style as I'm someone who uses lots of detail in only 2 or 3 quotes for an essay vs using a bunch of quotes and not fully exploring them in enough detail. I will admit An Inspector Calls is not my favourite but when it comes to revision, I focus on learning the quotes, as well as the relevant context I need and then lots of practice. I sometimes make up the essay question on the spot myself just to see how prepared I would be if anything gets through at me in the exam.
How would you memorise the analysis and context for the quotes
Original post by etudbee

Quick Reply

Latest