The Student Room Group

How do I support my gf before I move to uni?

I'm going to university starting in September and my girlfriend is not, we've talked about it extensively and we don't want to end it before trying long distance (it's not even that far I'll be 40 minutes from her) as we're very committed to each other and there is an incredible amount of love with us. She is absolutely my best friend and person no matter what happens she will always be there.
The only issue is I've got a lot of big new and exciting things happening in relation to uni now that I've accepted my unconditional, received an accommodation offer and SAAS is accepting 2023/24 applications now. I can see that it's affecting her despite her best efforts to only show the side of her that loves seeing my dreams start to become a reality. I've asked if she's okay but she always says yes and dismisses it.

What do you think I should do to support her and show her I'm still committed to her no matter where I live?
considering you won't be that far from her I think it wouldn't hurt to try long distance. It will be tough but i do believe that in the long run it will be better to have at least tried rather than not at all. Additionally, please continue to support her and reassure her that you are committed.

hope things go well !!
Original post by Anonymous
I'm going to university starting in September and my girlfriend is not, we've talked about it extensively and we don't want to end it before trying long distance (it's not even that far I'll be 40 minutes from her) as we're very committed to each other and there is an incredible amount of love with us. She is absolutely my best friend and person no matter what happens she will always be there.
The only issue is I've got a lot of big new and exciting things happening in relation to uni now that I've accepted my unconditional, received an accommodation offer and SAAS is accepting 2023/24 applications now. I can see that it's affecting her despite her best efforts to only show the side of her that loves seeing my dreams start to become a reality. I've asked if she's okay but she always says yes and dismisses it.

What do you think I should do to support her and show her I'm still committed to her no matter where I live?

Hi, we are no experts in relationships but a lot of our students start uni with us in similar predicaments.

One piece of advice we might be able to give is to plan things in advance and show that you're making room for her in your new phase of life. So do a joint calendar where you show her that you've planned activities or weekends with her at your Uni or you at home.

Moving to Uni is a huge change, and you have to do what's best for you to get the most out of your experience. But there are definitely couples that have stayed together throughout.

Wish you luck

Alex - UoP Rep :smile:
Well, my first Q is what does she have going on to work on or look forward to?

40 mins isn't long distance at all, living in different countries or opposite ends of the UK is long distance. Bearing in mind long distance relationships generally fail, it's possibly not reassuring to label it as such.
Original post by StriderHort
Well, my first Q is what does she have going on to work on or look forward to?

40 mins isn't long distance at all, living in different countries or opposite ends of the UK is long distance. Bearing in mind long distance relationships generally fail, it's possibly not reassuring to label it as such.

Sadly not very much at the moment, she's not sure where she wants to go next so she's struggling a little bit with that :/
Original post by University of Portsmouth
Hi, we are no experts in relationships but a lot of our students start uni with us in similar predicaments.

One piece of advice we might be able to give is to plan things in advance and show that you're making room for her in your new phase of life. So do a joint calendar where you show her that you've planned activities or weekends with her at your Uni or you at home.

Moving to Uni is a huge change, and you have to do what's best for you to get the most out of your experience. But there are definitely couples that have stayed together throughout.

Wish you luck

Alex - UoP Rep :smile:

That's very helpful thank you!
me and my boyfriend are super far apart, im up north and he's in London, it will work if you want it to, you nor far apart at all getting the train to her on the weekend or her to you wont be hard, if you think you may struggle with 40 mins then wake up you got this! make time ti FaceTime, always have something to look forward to, eg don't say goodbye without having a date planned where you will see each other next.

Original post by Hannahleyla
me and my boyfriend are super far apart, im up north and he's in London, it will work if you want it to, you nor far apart at all getting the train to her on the weekend or her to you wont be hard, if you think you may struggle with 40 mins then wake up you got this! make time ti FaceTime, always have something to look forward to, eg don't say goodbye without having a date planned where you will see each other next.

That's really reassuring thank you! I really like the goodbye idea I definitely think that could work :smile:
no worries x you got this don't worry

That's really reassuring thank you! I really like the goodbye idea I definitely think that could work :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending