The Student Room Group

Chances at Cambridge?

Im just wondering about my chances at getting a place at Cambridge. My gces were
8 - Computer Science
7 - Maths
7 - English Language
6 - English Literature
66 - Combined Science
6 - History
4 - DT

I know these aren't the best GCSEs but what I've seen online, Cambridge don't really focus on them. I am taking Maths, Computer Science and Physics for A-levels (and EPQ based on the future of encryption), and I want to study computer science at university. I've completely changed my work ethic, and I am focusing a lot more on my A-levels, let's say I get predicted A*A*A*, write an outstanding personal statement (with super-curriculars), smash the interview and admissions test, will I get a space with not taking Further Maths and having such poor GCSE results?

P.S I know Oxbridge doesn't offer contextual offers, but I do receive free school meals, both my parents didn't go to university, and I am of Pakistani descent, but my school (state) has above average grades (B compared to the average of C I'm pretty sure).
Reply 1
Probably not without further maths, but you never know - don't apply, don't get in. Apply, might get in

CS is one of the most competitive courses to get into at Oxbridge at the moment. There's way more applicants than places, and the ratio's just going to keep getting higher until they expand their CS departments, whenever that will be...

In any case, no harm in trying. For me the journey was a rather valuable experience in and of itself, even though I didn't manage to get a place.
Original post by Teruko
Probably not without further maths, but you never know - don't apply, don't get in. Apply, might get in

CS is one of the most competitive courses to get into at Oxbridge at the moment. There's way more applicants than places, and the ratio's just going to keep getting higher until they expand their CS departments, whenever that will be...

In any case, no harm in trying. For me the journey was a rather valuable experience in and of itself, even though I didn't manage to get a place.

On their website, it says 96% of the entrants took FM, and 81% achieved at least A*A*A*, I do realise that not taking FM is a huge disadvantage, but I'll try my best to make up with it with all the other parts of my application (except GCSE), especially the TMUA, I'll try to show as much passion for the subject in my PS to try to make up for it as much as possible, and isn't the whole point of taking FM is for the maths skills, so if I do better than people who took it, that should improve my chances? I'm not sure, I will still try my best and apply, but I'll prob go to the next best uni, but you never know.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending