The Student Room Group

cant move part of my lip after dentist?

does anyone know if it's normal to not be able to move part of your lip after getting a filling?

i just got home after getting fillings on my two back teeth on both sides, so they numbed both sides too. the right side of my face is fine and it has the usual numb feeling, but i cant move the left side of my upper lip and the left side of my nose. they dont feel numb, they feel normal, but i literally cannot move them. when i smile the left side droops kinda and when i bear my teeth or scrunch up my face, neither that side of my lip or nose move.

i've had a lot of anaesthetic from the dentist before and this has never happened. i just don't know if i should be worried or not? i just dont understand why i can't move them if they don't feel numb?
hi, i my my fillings done not to long ago too and i also felt as if i couldnt move my left side of my mouth (though not my nose like you), however when i woke up the next day my mouth was back to normal. i reccommend you sleep the night and when you wake up if you still can't feel it contact the dentist and explain the situation. They'll be able to tell you if its something to worry about or just a normal side effect of anaesthetic.
Hope this helps!
Original post by otherhalf06
hi, i my my fillings done not to long ago too and i also felt as if i couldnt move my left side of my mouth (though not my nose like you), however when i woke up the next day my mouth was back to normal. i reccommend you sleep the night and when you wake up if you still can't feel it contact the dentist and explain the situation. They'll be able to tell you if its something to worry about or just a normal side effect of anaesthetic.
Hope this helps!

thank you! i googled it after making this post and found that it usually happens as a result of the anaesthetic injection being done incorrectly, or something along those lines? anyways, it's so weird! my mouth isn't even at all numb anymore so the anaesthetic has worn off, yet it's still paralysed! i'll try to sleep it off and then maybe call the dentist tomorrow like you suggested, thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest